From the ship to the airport in San Diego

From reading the messages on this board, it looks like the best way from the ship (Dawn Princess) to the airport at the end of the cruise is to take a taxi. There will be 2 ships coming in that day. I’m afraid that if we are not the first ones to get off the ship there may not be any taxis available. Am I worrying for nothing? Is there a better way to get to the airport? Princess has a shuttle but at $15.00 per person, we were told that a taxi is a better choice. Any suggestions or opinions? Our plane leaves at 12:50. Thanks for your help.

There will be lots of cabs going back and forth until no one is left standing on the pier. If you don't see one, ask someone in the terminal building about the phone number for callin one, or better yet, get the number off of the cab you take to the pier. There should be porters and scurity folks on the pier that could also flag one down for you.

You are correct that the airport is only a couple miles from the airport. Buying the cruise line transfers is not a good deal for San Diego. There will be tons of cabs available and they will just be running circles from the airport to the cruiseport into the afternoon.

Our next cruise is out of San Diego in October. We only spent 1 night pre-cruise there last time so this time we're doing 2 days pre-cruise and 1 night post cruise. There is so much there to see.

There is a taxi stand right in front of the cruise ship terminal, and there are Port Authority staff there just waiting to call a cab over for you from the long line of cabs lusting for your $$$!!!! If you don't see any cabs, just let the staff know and they will call one for you. The same goes for shuttles.

How much is an average fare from the San Diego cruise terminal to the San Diego airport?

we were in San Diego in Jan and took a taxi for $10.00, plus tip That was for 3 of us so extremely reasonable. The cost was the same both ways,

Wrong. There are TWO terminals at the San Diego airport. They are called Terminal 1 and 2 but most people call them the East & West terminals.

No less to do there than any other airport. Some bookstores, gift and souvenir shops, and a few fast food places to eat. There is a Rubio's if you didn't get a chance to eat a real fish taco when you were in Mexico or San Diego, and we just got a new stir-fry/wok Yan Can restaurant (in place of the Cinnabun shop in Terminal 1). There is a new Chili's Too that will be opening soon.

http://www.san.org/airport/terminals/food.asp

If you are in terminal 2, find one of the comfy rocky chairs and chill for a while.

You can also take a shared shuttle to the airport, but I think the fare is like $7/person, so if you have 2 or 3 a cab would probably be better.

Wrong. There are TWO terminals at the San Diego airport. They are called Terminal 1 and 2 but most people call them the East & West terminals.

Don't forget the Commuter Terminal. American Eagle, United Express, Delta Connection, etc serve this terminal. FLights from this terminal mainly route passengers to LAX that are making long-haul flight connections. ExpressJet also uses this terminal for their flights to cities such as Omaha, Spokane and Bosie.

When I got off the Carnival Spirit in January, there were both cabs and larger shuttle vans. They were handing out numbers, so people would be taken in order, but I'm not sure if that was for both or just the shuttle vans. Reason was, just as I went to get a number, they called out looking for one person to fill one of the shuttles and since I was traveling solo, I was able to take advantage of it. The shuttle was $5 per person for the trip to the airport.

Archived