Why do you chose 1st or 2nd Seating?

We've always had and liked the early seating - 6:15.

After dinner we can go walk it off around the ship and still see a show, play bingo, etc. Also, usually by 6:00 I'm hungry anyway and 8:00 just seems soooo late to eat, it would be bedtime for after!!

i must say...

i have always had early seating and never has a child ever distracted me in any way shape or form. thats just me.

they probably go to the early seating to get away from all the old bags! HAHA

For our first cruise we chose late seating because we didn't want to feel rushed coming back from the ports and we are night owls anyway so we knew we wouldn't be going to bed with a full stomach.

For our next cruise we are taking the kids and have requested the early seating because I feel it would be way too late for the kids to finish eating (especially my granson who will be 2) around 10. I'm curious to see which one I like better.

We prefer late seating - 5:30 or 6:00 is just too early for me. Sometimes we're hungry early; if so, we can go to the Windjammer and skip the dining room altogether. We've eaten in there enough times that the thrill of a 2 hour dinner is long gone.

Re Harry Potter: I also own the books and movies, and also own the audiobooks. The reader, Jim Dale, is amazing!

DD (now 12) and I always choose late seating, but we generally eat at 7:30 to 8:00 at home anyway. Even when she was a little cruiser we would get back to the room around 4 or 5 and get her some room service (salad or sandwich) and she'd rest and enjoy being away from the crowd and/or blaring sun. I know a lot of families that enjoy early dining, but it was always worked better for us the other way.

early seating since we like to go to the shows which sometime start during the late seating

I haven't taken an RCCL cruise yet, but I'ver been haunting this forum and waiting for the dates to be released for 6/09.

I was under the impression (from reading posts) that shows were offered that coincided with both seatings, and that the shows during teh first seating (which are meant to be attended by those who choose second seating) are less crowded. Am I wrong?

If it makes any difference, we're planning on the Freedom.

Definitely late seating so we're not rushed. If we get hungry late in the afternoon, there are so many options to grab something quick and light to hold us over. I also keep fruit and boxes of cereal from breakfast in the cabin for a great afternoon snack. After dinner we're dancing or gambling!

We much perfer early because it's closer to our normal eating schedule. On our first cruise we had the late seating because the early seating was full, even though we tried to get it changed. So we ate at 8:30 every night and were completely miserable when we tried to go to sleep. Some people are used to eating late, but not us.

We've always done late seating because we thought we wanted the time to relax after being in port. Time for a drink and hot tub. And we normally eat around 7 at home.

But our next cruise we have booked early seating because it seemed that the last time we cruised with the kids (16/13) they wanted to get supper done as quick as possible so they could go participate in the teen activities which seem to start during late seating. Figured that if we find we really don't like it we could maybe switch mid cruise to late since it always seems to have openings.

And there are nights that they have a main show that has two performance times that are set up so each seating can attend. But they may also have a secondary show - comedian that would often start during second seating. We typically don't like the main shows that much - but like the secondary shows much better.

It all depends on the int. if there is a port we want to stay a little longer late it is. I think I prefer the late anyway. I hate to rush and enjoy a martini before dinner. After that I can handle early to when I take my Granddaughters ages 5 & 7 it will be early. They tend to melt down when they get tired. A cruise takes alot out of them they go go go.

We've always done the early, but felt rushed coming in from ports. On this upcoming cruise, I didn't have a choice because all early seating was taken. But, we want to try it out anyway. If we are hungry, we can always grab a snack somewhere. And won't be rushed.

We always do late seating for dinner, and basically for all the above mentioned reasons. We are generally among the last passengers back on the ship at port, so we enjoy having time to unwind before dinner. We also love to watch sailaway, and the sunsets. For me though the best reason is fewer kids.

We love late dining because:

1. We don't have to rush back from a port-of-call.
  2. We can attend an early show and if we find it particularly good we have the option of watching it a second time after our late dining.
  3. The time during the first dining is the perfect time to enjoy a glass of wine/plate of cheeses or a pot of coffee and pastries from room service. AND since
  4. We usually travel with a large group and the people in charge of this group have a private parties for us every evening during the first dining time. It then gives us the opportunity to attend the party if we happen to like the theme for that night.
  5. We don't feel like we have to rush to eat our dinner since we know the dining room staff has to get ready for the second dining time.

but the early seating is 6pm correct?

Sun sets in Caribbean at about 6pm or shortly thereafter in October and April (as i have been on both).

i know, if i went to dinner on my cruises, i missed the sunsets :(

maybe closer to 6:10-6:15 the sunsets are??

During the summer the sun sets in the Caribbean after 7, so the 6pm time works (as long as everyone's on time for dinner!). When I've gone in the winter, the later time definitely works better. I always looks up my ports of call to check the sunset times before I book.

We always take late seating so we are not rushed. We stay on the islands as long as we possible can, so if we went to early dinner we would be rushing and don't like that. So we come back, get a snack if we are starving, relax, get ready, then go have a couple of drinks before dinner. By the time we know it, it is time for dinner. We don't eat that late at home either, but we are on vacation, so we don't care.

Late. DH is diabetic and works nights at home, so later is better for him and I can eat anytime and go along with what works best for him.

Would sign up for My Time whenever offered and request to share a table with others as neither dinner time is a good fit for us every night.

Hi-

We chose second seating for a few reasons...no rush from excursion or to get out of the dining room, the time change will help, so it won't be as late as we would think (to my knowledge, the cruise changes times accroding to zones), and there was a waiting list for early dining, and we just figured we'd get used to the idea of eating late since we currently eat at around 7-7:30 anyway : )

Late for us, we are later diners anyway, weeknights around 7 weekends always after 8 pm.

We don't have kids, and prefer the (generaly) lesser number of children at the later seating.

Also, more time for an afternoon nap, no need to rush back if it is a later port day.

But if I had kids- early seating only!! Our tablemates and traveling companions had kids with us recently, and the youngest was a screaming miserable brat for every meal. And even the middle kids had a hard time- dinner is long and boring enough for the younger set to have to try to sit through and generally behave and use good manners and inside voices for 2 hours straight is bad enough- but from 8-10 pm?? That's just plain bad parenting. There. I said it. You are a bad parent if you purposefully subject your young children to late dinner seatings for an entire cruise. I understand if you get stuck with it, but to plan for that?? Crazy!!!

Archived