OK - Tell me the truth about Spiders in OZ

Great advice Cloakndagger.

We're used to not keeping food in our tents. Food tends to attract bears and you don't want one of them visiting you during the night. You have to cache your food up in a tree at night.

Once we were on a canoeing trip in a beautiful place called Bowron Lakes and when we woke up in the morning, there was an imprint of a bear's nose on the mesh of our tent. Guess we didn't smell very appetizing. :eek: :eek: Phew !!!

Sandra

Great advice Cloakndagger.

We're used to not keeping food in our tents. Food tends to attract bears and you don't want one of them visiting you during the night. You have to cache your food up in a tree at night.

Once we were on a canoeing trip in a beautiful place called Bowron Lakes and when we woke up in the morning, there was an imprint of a bear's nose on the mesh of our tent. Guess we didn't smell very appetizing. :eek: :eek: Phew !!!

Sandra

OMG:eek: I have the sweats just thinking about it!! And you are worried about a teeny little 8 legged beastie!!

If we put our food up a tree, the possums would think santa had arrived. We would have nothing left to find.

Just the thought of camping anywhere in America would scare me to death...bears, wolves, big cats, rattle snakes, scorpions, alligators....

You have the real nasties...they can eat you!!!

Hi Sandra,

First let me say you will have a great time in OZ and NZ:)

Big 4 Caravan parks are nice we have stayed in them here and NZ.

It was strange walking in the bush for the first time in NZ i was woahhh snakes then remembered they don't have any lol.

Here is a 5 minute vid of around the South Island if you would like to see,we went there Feb 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTB0bDBrdNg

Don't worry about the spiders,snakes and other hairy things yes we have them.Like others have said just get some spray and you will be ok.

We can't wait to get over your way...3 months and counting:p and see all your beautiful animals in the wild.

Cheers Sue.

OMG:eek: I have the sweats just thinking about it!! And you are worried about a teeny little 8 legged beastie!!

If we put our food up a tree, the possums would think santa had arrived. We would have nothing left to find.

Just the thought of camping anywhere in America would scare me to death...bears, wolves, big cats, rattle snakes, scorpions, alligators....

You have the real nasties...they can eat you!!!

You can't be for real. Nobody could have as many outdoor problems as you appear to have. This must be some sort of a joke.

Where do you live - in a high rise in a city? Do you ever go outside your house?

DON

Don't worry about the spiders,snakes and other hairy things yes we have them.Like others have said just get some spray and you will be ok.

We can't wait to get over your way...3 months and counting:p and see all your beautiful animals in the wild.

Cheers Sue.

Thanks Sue - I hope you have a wonderful time in our beautiful Country.

Are you coming to Victoria?

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Yes we are comming to your beautiful country :)

We only have 3 days before our cruise and we will come to Victoria on the 3rd day for our whale watching tour and then onto the Butchart Gardens in the afternoon.

It looks such a pretty place....so much to see so little time lol.

Sue & Col.

You can't be for real. Nobody could have as many outdoor problems as you appear to have. This must be some sort of a joke.

Where do you live - in a high rise in a city? Do you ever go outside your house?

DON

Actually Don, I am a scout leader and spend a lot of time out in the bush.

My point being...lock up your food or it gets taken!!

I have friends who were terrified of coming to Australia because of what they had seen on Television...Spiders that could kill you, crocs that eat you, snakes that bite you, jelly fish that kill you. Living here in Oz you just don't see it happen!

We see the same thing on telly here....alligators in swimming pools in the US, rattlesnakes, bears...etc...

The chance of actually coming face to face with these kinds of things are rare...(unless you are Sandy in Canada with bear prints on the tent!)

Our fears are fuelled by what we see on film, not by the reality of things.

:)

Actually Don, I am a scout leader and spend a lot of time out in the bush.

My point being...lock up your food or it gets taken!!

I have friends who were terrified of coming to Australia because of what they had seen on Television...Spiders that could kill you, crocs that eat you, snakes that bite you, jelly fish that kill you. Living here in Oz you just don't see it happen!

We see the same thing on telly here....alligators in swimming pools in the US, rattlesnakes, bears...etc...

The chance of actually coming face to face with these kinds of things are rare...(unless you are Sandy in Canada with bear prints on the tent!)

Our fears are fuelled by what we see on film, not by the reality of things.

:)

Yes, I totally agree with you Cloakndagger.

Did you know that during the Sydney Olympics, the US media was reporting that you had divers in Sydney Harbour to scare away the sharks and keep the Triathalon swimmers safe. Isn't that hilarious !!!

I have NEVER met a group of people who love their Country more than the Aussies love Australia (creepy crawlies and all). So, I think the I'll save any judgements until I have experienced it for myself.

If I see a big spider, I plan to say "G'day" and continue along my merry way.

Sandra

Well, good on you Sandra :)

You've come a long way since your first post on this subject. The important thing to remember is ... don't believe everything we say ... things aren't as bad as we make out and you'll find our tongues firmly planted in our cheeks most of the time.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Archived