marriott biscayne bay questions?

ToniH

Our group of 11 will be there in two weeks for a pre-cruise stay and I have a few questions.

1) Is this hotel up to Marriott standards? I have read some mixed reviews on this property and am a little worried.

2) We are renting a car and the hotel charges $24.00 per day for parking. Is there anywhere around there that we can park for less?

3) There is no shuttle for the port so we will have to take a cab. Can we get a cab orvan for 11 people?

Thanks so much!

1. We stayed there in August last year and LOVED it. I know some people here have said otherwise, but we thought it was fabulous. The grounds are lovely and the pool area is very nice. The whole hotel is 100% non-smoking. Don't be worried - we enjoyed our stay and would stay there again in a minute, much more so than Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Pics in my sig.

2. Didn't park a car, so can't comment on #2. Do you have to park the car and not use it? Can you turn it in and then rent another one, or find another way around this? Is your cruise a week long? Just curious.

3. I can't say for sure, but I don't think 11 people PLUS all their luggage (2 pieces each?) would ever fit in one private vehicle, except for a limo. You might be looking at taking either 3 cabs, or a cab and a van. Taxis are readily available in front, especially the morning of embarkation; the staff will help you with your needs.

Have fun.

Our group of 11 will be there in two weeks for a pre-cruise stay and I have a few questions.

1) Is this hotel up to Marriott standards? I have read some mixed reviews on this property and am a little worried.

2) We are renting a car and the hotel charges $24.00 per day for parking. Is there anywhere around there that we can park for less?

3) There is no shuttle for the port so we will have to take a cab. Can we get a cab orvan for 11 people?

Thanks so much!

We stayed in 2005 pre-cruise. The hotel is fine, I have stayed in better Marriotts. The food was good. Ask for a room facing the port...makes it all worth it to see your ship!! Do not walk around at night as it is not in a good area! The area is the only reason i willn ot stay there again.

Due to the area I would say use the Marriott parking for $24.00!

When we checked in we signed up for the hotel shuttle to the port..I can't remember the fee for it but they had a van so it should accomodate your party. I would call the hotel direct to see if they still offer this service and if they do I would make a reservation right away!

Enjoy!!

I am a Miami resident but I love, love, love this hotel, as much as the one in Seattle and have stayed in it several times, when I used to date a crewmember. I have stayed on the top floor in a corner room and the view is spectacular. I am a marriot frequent "flier" so to speak, and I rate this as #2 although Seattle I rate as #1. A cab ride is 5 minutes to the port. There is a parking garage a few blocks away, but again it's downtown Miami so you will pay through the nose.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

Have stayed there many times(summer 2007, last time) and absolutely loved it..I've stayed in a lot of Marriott's and I think it is up to par with Marriott standards..plus it's not far from the port, so you have great views of your ship (request it at check in) and your ride to the port will be very short, it's not far from Bayside Market Place (which has a lot of shops, restaurants and live entertainment).

Can't speak about the parking but is there a reason why you want to rent a car? Taxis, shuttles and local bus are very plentiful...Just MHO

They have shuttle service to the port, to Bayside Market Place and also to various other places. I have used it for the pier, for Bayside and for a wonderful mall that is HUGE. As someone already said you should contact the hotel and inquire about their shuttle service and make a reservation since you have such a large party. We've done that before when we had a large group and they are accustomed to it. You could also check with other local shuttle services .... Don't worry about it....there are lots of options..You will be fine.

15 minutes tops if they go straight to the airport.

Can someone tell me how far it is from the airport and if there is a shuttle service from there. How much is the Shuttle from the hotel to the port?

1. We stayed there in August last year and LOVED it. I know some people here have said otherwise, but we thought it was fabulous. The grounds are lovely and the pool area is very nice. The whole hotel is 100% non-smoking. Don't be worried - we enjoyed our stay and would stay there again in a minute, much more so than Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Pics in my sig.

Have fun.

Thanks for your response and the photos. I'm trying to decide where to stay in Miami as well and had looked at the Marriott. TripAdvisor had some unfavorable reviews... but, I'm pretty easy to please!

We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne one week ago tomorrow using Marriott points. We almost always use Marriotts when traveling. The staff was great- our luggage handled by 3 different people checking in (3 tips! for 4 pieces of luggage). The only problem with our room was that the carpet was soaking wet from the door to the first bed. I covered the area with towels. They hide the coffee maker in the closet (in my hurry for am coffee, I ran to the Starbucks downstairs and ended up with another 21.00 bill there because I thought I had no coffee maker :rolleyes: ) I would stay there again, but wouldn't pay the $250.00 going rate. I am glad I used my points.

Hello TonyH,

We stayed at the Marriott a few weeks ago and found it to be just fine. Very busy with loads of International guests. We drove down and paid for their parking. I thought it was a bit high but didn't find anything else that was convenient. We didn't think much of their restaurant and didn't use any of the hotels amenities. Did arrange a tour with them that went off without any problems. Can't say about the shuttle as we drove ourselves and parked at the port garage. Their prices are just about as bad.

Have a great trip,

Wayne

it needs renovating but isn't a dump.....just wear and tear...food was a little pricey and i really didn't care for the area.....there IS a shuttle service to bayside (i think it's 2 bucks) and there was a shuttle to the pier, at least there was a few years ago...not free, independent of the hotel...

the property gets a lot of traffic with cruise pax, etc so it gets a bit beaten up!

we did have a great view of the port and ships......

we were there during hurricane wilma...let's say the power went out, what a mess....anyhow, i must say that the staff never complained in front of guests and they did their best to feed us without much electiricty! for that i give them praise....

i am a platinum premier with marriott....i spent over 250 nights in marriott brands last year....this hotel is not #2 by any means (and i've been in the full service hotels in DT seattle and by the airport!) but it is far from a dump.

i prefer the JW marriott in the brickell area......costs more, but worth it if you have points to use or in the summer when the rate goes down.

Hi Everyone,

I am staying there in 3 weeks and just have a couple Q's:

1> How much is a/the shuttle to the Pier (per person). Is it cheaper for 2 just to take a taxi?

2> Are there any nearby grocery stores that I can pick up some cheap beer, wine, liquor and pop for my checked baggage?

I would like to make a quick booze run before embarkment (around 10am).

Don't know the state laws... can you buy booze that early... and on a sunday?!?

Thanks!

...and there was a shuttle to the pier, at least there was a few years ago...not free, independent of the hotel...

1> How much is a/the shuttle to the Pier (per person). Is it cheaper for 2 just to take a taxi?

I could find no recent information about shuttle service to the Port of Miami. All the reviews, and our own experience, said that a cab is about 10 bucks. If they did have a shuttle service, it certainly wasn't advertised. Also, with almost every one of their guests going to the pier, I can't imagine they would shuttle all weekend long. Talk about a mad house! :eek:

A cab ride is probably about 15.00 per person..remember this is downtown miami, a tourist mecca,and we delight in taking advantage of tourists to support our economy. Unless it's changed, no shuttle service to port. I always drove my bf to his ship when we stayed there.

Publix is a mile or so north on biscayne blvd.

Can't buy booze before 11 on a sunday am. Out of luck, Chuck.

Like I said...we are in the height of "season" here and it is unrealistic to expect a bargain, especially in Miami so you need to plan accordingly because you can't penny pinch. It comes with the locale.

Hi Everyone,

I am staying there in 3 weeks and just have a couple Q's:

2> Are there any nearby grocery stores that I can pick up some cheap beer, wine, liquor and pop for my checked baggage?

I would like to make a quick booze run before embarkment (around 10am).

Don't know the state laws... can you buy booze that early... and on a sunday?!?

Thanks!

I mean that it is probably 15.00 and very doutbtful it is less than that. Gas is 3.39 per gallon here. It's only a like 2 miles tops to the port, if it's even that far..but remember, cab drivers don't always take the straight shot, especially from the airport.

From Marriott Biscayne Bay to the POM? No. It's no more than 15 dollars total. I'm sure that's what you meant. :)

A

Publix is a mile or so north on biscayne blvd.

Can't buy booze before 11 on a sunday am. Out of luck, Chuck.

Thanks! I've been to FL a few times and love Publix...

But just to confirm... I will be able to buy spirits as well as wine/beer after 11am?

If the sign says you can't purchase it before 11am then that means you can buy it after 11 am.

Thanks! I've been to FL a few times and love Publix...

But just to confirm... I will be able to buy spirits as well as wine/beer after 11am?

If the sign says you can't purchase it before 11am then that means you can buy it after 11 am.

so im not "out of luck chuck"

ok. thanks. since im not there yet i haven't read the sign. thanks. :rolleyes:

Archived