taking the train vs bus or flying...your thoughts on this

I am cruising out of NYC Jan09 and live in Mass. Trying to avoid the whole air fare/airport hassel. I know about the bus option but was wondering if anyone has taken the train out of Boston or Providence to Penn Station. I think that would be more comfortable than the bus and the express should bring travel time down to 3.5 hours. I definitely do not want to drive to NY.

WE usually take the train to anywhere that is not near our homeport. I am thinking of doing the reverse of what you are doing next year. I would think that 3.5 hrs on a train would be much better than on a bus. I would just leave early enough so you would have plenty of time. The only drawback is the amount of luggage you can bring on board the train. That is 2 pcs of luggage not including a purse or laptop.

WE usually take the train to anywhere that is not near our homeport. I am thinking of doing the reverse of what you are doing next year. I would think that 3.5 hrs on a train would be much better than on a bus. I would just leave early enough so you would have plenty of time. The only drawback is the amount of luggage you can bring on board the train. That is 2 pcs of luggage not including a purse or laptop.

I don't think the luggage will be an issue as two pieces each will the the max we are taking anyway, plus a carry on. I just don't see my husband and his back sitting on a bus for 4 hours without being able to get up and move around. I have been checking bus schedules to get to train station and it is looking good for the timetable so far. Thanks for the info.

We live in Mass. also and did a cruise last summer out of NYC. We drove and to be honest it was quite easy, much less of a hassle than I thought it would be. You park right at the cruise terminal and walk onto the ship. After the cruise is over, there is no waiting, you go right to your car and off you go.

We live in Mass. also and did a cruise last summer out of NYC. We drove and to be honest it was quite easy, much less of a hassle than I thought it would be. You park right at the cruise terminal and walk onto the ship. After the cruise is over, there is no waiting, you go right to your car and off you go.

Leaving the car at the terminal is probably a good choice for a lot of people but we are coming from the Cape and it is a real pain for us to do that driving. Also, by the time you add up the cost of gas and parking fees, you might as well find alternate transportation. For a 10 day cruise you are talking around $200 just to park and I would rather put that towards not having to drive.

Do a real good check on luggage allowance for the train. Some (Amtrak) if there is no checked luggage option, the bag 1 only, has to be a certain size and it is not very big. ;)

Thanks for that tip. I didn't even think about bag limits, just assumed it would be 2 per person and carry on. I will definitely check on that.

Archived