strange question

johndana274

My wife and I have been on five cruises now without kids. This is our time to be husband and wife instead of mom and dad.

My dilemma:

In August we are taking our kids (10,13) with us for the first time. Should I make sure they hate it so they don't want to go again? I know selfish here, but can anyone give me suggestions to make them miserable?

Somewhat in jest!

In August we are taking our kids (10,13) with us for the first time. Should I make sure they hate it so they don't want to go again? I know selfish here, but can anyone give me suggestions to make them miserable?

Somewhat in jest!

Tell them this is a one time thing. They can go again if they get a job and save and pay their way! If they do it...great...get them their own cabin several decks away...! ;)

Now that is just mean.. I understand you and DW want to be alone, if it is in your buget just get them there own cabin next door. They can hang in the teen area and arcade. There is lots for them to do so they will not be up your B**T the whole time. But I do have to say that when my DH and I went on our crusie alne it was nice. But then the kids 12,10 came along on the next and we had a blast. I'm not slammin you for asking this question. Just wanted you to know that you can take your children and still have alone time. ;)

LOL - I took my oldest two when they were 3 and 4 and 4 year old was a NIGHTMARE! It took me 10 years to talk hubby into going on a cruise again. We usually do the all-inclusive thing when it's just hubby and I.

My suggestion? Take my 3 kids with you. After all the bickering and arguing, your kids will BEG you to let them stay home from now on!

Kidding (I hope, I hope) as they are going with us in June:eek:

My wife and I have been on five cruises now without kids. This is our time to be husband and wife instead of mom and dad.

My dilemma:

Somewhat in jest!

if you want them to hate it, don't bother taking them.

My dilemma:

Somewhat in jest!

Tell them that the cruise that you're planning on taking without them is an adults only cruise and the only activities available will be weaving rugs or something else that they would never do

My dilemma:

Somewhat in jest!

I'm in the same boat as you....i'm just hoping with all the kid activities they will be too tired out to be brats.

Don't try to get them to hate it. 'Cause they may grow up to be responsible adults and want to cruise on their own time and money :p .

I think a few weeks before you leave on your next cruise, you should tell them that the ship name is the Titanic. Of course, this should be immediately after you allow them to watch the movie

Titanic. And when they say "It sunk!!" You just say "Oh, that one did. But, they asked us to try the new one they built."

Of course you'll have to be ready to pay the psychological bills that will come with that statement and departure. :D

I'm in the same boat as you....i'm just hoping with all the kid activities they will be too tired out to be brats.

you're in the same boat????

omg, you sailed disney WITHOUT kids:confused: :confused: :confused:

i sailed disney with kids, and i still won't go back on that line.:eek:

I totally understand the feeling, and having only cruised with kids, have no perspective on cruising without them. But, having said that, it has been great cruising with them, and I can't imagine any other way. It seems to give the best of both worlds, with adult time and family time.

However, I will be checking back on this thread for any and all great ideas!

Might as well suck it up and realize that they're gonna love it!;) Seriously, tho, my kids were 13 and 10 on their first cruise. It was an incredible time for all of us because it was the first cruise for all of us! We had a blast and the ship was big enough to have both "family" time and "adult" time. Now my kids are 18 and 21 and I can't believe how the time has flown. Enjoy the moments, cuz they'll be gone too soon!

you're in the same boat????

omg, you sailed disney WITHOUT kids:confused: :confused: :confused:

i sailed disney with kids, and i still won't go back on that line.:eek:

Yes, it was our honeymoon...the wife is a Disney freak. Had fun tho.

I think you may be setting yourself up for some amazing family vacations for years to come! :D Just alternate cruising alone as a couple with making it a family trip. However, I do agree, you and hubby will have plenty of alone time since the kids tend to hang out with their peer groups.

I have the opposite problem. I try to bribe my 3 adult children in their 20s to come with us. All that I've accomplished thus far is my youngest son cruising with his girlfriend - without us! :p At least my daughter is still stuck with us for family vacations! :D

My dilemma:

Somewhat in jest!

Make them go to Bingo, Shopping Talks, and the Art Auction.

oh...im laughing my butt off over that.....i made a deal with my daughter...who at barely 13 is addicted to cruising....i take her on 1 a year and the rest are for me.....lol....this way she gets her fix and then without her i can let me hair down...lol.....hope they love it but not too much

You better hope they hate it or else they will make your life miserable if you don't take them the next time. At least that is what happened to us. We left the kids home one time and they have now been on 5 since and I still haven't heard the end of it about leaving them at home. They are now 18 & 19. But I have to say it is our favorite family vacation. We get plenty of alone time. Sometimes I am even searching them out.

My dilemma:

Somewhat in jest!

No, no...you're looking at this the wrong way. You make the kids want to love cruising, then you keep telling them, "Make sure you do well in school and get good educations and good jobs so you can continue to live the lifestyles you are accustomed to, like cruising."

But seriously, we took our boys on their first cruise in 2002 when they were 11 & 14. It was a wonderful vacation. They will be going on their fourth cruise come July and this might be the last family vacation we take for a while. They are 17 & 20 now. Both will be in college come August and they will have different vacations and will be working when not in school. I actually think I will miss cruising with them. I can't believe the time has gone by so fast, but it has. :( We all have fantastic memories of our cruises. :)

My advice is to get them a cabin next door/across the hall. Personal time for you and your wife plus they get a bit of time away from the 'rents. And two bathrooms are always better than one.

Enjoy.

Don't try to get them to hate it. 'Cause they may grow up to be responsible adults and want to cruise on their own time and money :p .

I think a few weeks before you leave on your next cruise, you should tell them that the ship name is the Titanic. Of course, this should be immediately after you allow them to watch the movie

Titanic. And when they say "It sunk!!" You just say "Oh, that one did. But, they asked us to try the new one they built."

Of course you'll have to be ready to pay the psychological bills that will come with that statement and departure. :D

Either tell them it is the Titanic and have them watch the movie or the Poseiden and have them watch both versions. Either way, tell them ships sinking only happens in the month of August.... Oh, yea, isn't August when we are going? To late to change. Can't get a refund. Let's all just cross our fingers, okay. Mommy and Daddy love you very, very much. Sniffle, Sniffle.

Archived