I'm leading a group cruise-any tips I MUST know?

I asked the TA about deducting it equally from each cabin, she said she couldn't.

That might not be true.... They might not want to deal with it. We've never had a problem dividing the money, as OBC or lowering the rate.

Couldn't do it or won't? I have done it in the past so I know it can be done. Here's an example. 20 people are going at $1000 per person or $2000 per cabin. The TA owes RCI $20,000 (I know that with commissions the TA doesn't really owe that much but let's just use the number for easy math). You get one free berth which is $1000. Now the TA owes RCI $19,000. The free berth of $1000 divided by 20 people is $50 per person or $100 per room. Just deduct $50 from each person's fare. $950 X 20 is $19,000. It can be done if the TA wants to do it.

Another way it could be done is to give that $100 per cabin as an OBC.

LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth! Much better said!

Couldn't do it or won't? I have done it in the past so I know it can be done. Here's an example. 20 people are going at $1000 per person or $2000 per cabin. The TA owes RCI $20,000 (I know that with commissions the TA doesn't really owe that much but let's just use the number for easy math). You get one free berth which is $1000. Now the TA owes RCI $19,000. The free berth of $1000 divided by 20 people is $50 per person or $100 per room. Just deduct $50 from each person's fare. $950 X 20 is $19,000. It can be done if the TA wants to do it.

Another way it could be done is to give that $100 per cabin as an OBC.

Except for the fact that a TA doesn't collect the money, then pay the cruise line. Every cruise we've ever taken the deposit and payment have been made directly to the cruise line. The TA is paid their commission from the cruiseline, they don't deduct it from customer payment.

So, what you are suggesting is that RCI writes a check to each pax, or discount each cabin for the amount. That could probably be done, if the TA can arrange it with the cruise line.

Except for the fact that a TA doesn't collect the money, then pay the cruise line. Every cruise we've ever taken the deposit and payment have been made directly to the cruise line. The TA is paid their commission from the cruiseline, they don't deduct it from customer payment.

So, what you are suggesting is that RCI writes a check to each pax, or discount each cabin for the amount. That could probably be done, if the TA can arrange it with the cruise line.

Don't assume that just because you pay directly to the cruise line that everyone does it that way. Before we got our RCI Visa, all of our payments went to the TA and the TA made payments to RCI.

Not all TA's work the way you describe. Some TA's wait until the cruise is over and then gives you the amount of the free berth minus commission, taxes, port charges and fuel surcharge.

So maybe the OP was correct and her TA could not do it.

Don't assume that just because you pay directly to the cruise line that everyone does it that way. Before we got our RCI Visa, all of our payments went to the TA and the TA made payments to RCI.

We've cruised 13 times on 7 different lines and our credit card payment has every single time listed the cruise line. Not once has our payment been made to a TA. I'd really worry about a TA taking payment.

I was a Trip Director for an incentive travel company after my first group cruise I learned:

#1 Do not give out your cabin number. It is amazing what problems a drunk thinks they are having at 3am

#2 Provide everyone with a list of whom to take their questions or problems:

IE: Maitre D', Purser's Desk, Hotel Manager, Tour Desk, etc.

let them know you are not the problem solver for individual problems, you are only the representative between the group and the ship when it comes to included features or events.

Remind everyone a great time to share their day is at Dinner, NO ONE should demand anyone else do something with them during the day!!!!

We've cruised 13 times on 7 different lines and our credit card payment has every single time listed the cruise line. Not once has our payment been made to a TA. I'd really worry about a TA taking payment.

So because you have done it 13 times, that means that's the way the rest of the world does it? I have written checks to the TA for payments. If you don't trust your TA, maybe you should find a new one.

So because you have done it 13 times, that means that's the way the rest of the world does it? I have written checks to the TA for payments. If you don't trust your TA, maybe you should find a new one.

I've read news stories of travel agents absconding with funds collected from travelers, especially groups. Upon arriving at the port not even having a reservation made and the group turned away, all the money lost, travel agent left town. I would never, ever pay directly to any TA.

I've used several TAs, not just one and not one of them ever requested a check as payment, it would raise a red flag to me. I've even been advised by TAs not to send a check, that a CC is safer. You have been fortunate.

But, this bickering is nonsense and I agree with RichardE954 and allow the thread to return to the subject the OP originally wanted.

Thanks KS and Richard, lets get back on subject. There have been some good ideas and comments....I'll deal with my TA about the refunded money, she's been pretty helpful so if I ask her to do an OBC, she will if she can. My take was she couldn't, not wouldn't, divide the money before the cruise. I'll find out exactly why.

Other than that, here's some questions:

We will be driving seperately to the pier,( we only live about 2 hours from Miami) should I try to arrange carpools?

Should I tell everyone to arrive at the same time at the pier, or just arrange a meeting time and place on the ship?

Should everybody have the same dining time, or should I give them an option? As of right now, I have everybody set for the late seating.

Should I try to pick table assignments...I don't want to get too much input from everybody, I think that could only cause a lot of headaches.

Thanks KS and Richard, lets get back on subject. There have been some good ideas and comments....I'll deal with my TA about the refunded money, she's been pretty helpful so if I ask her to do an OBC, she will if she can. My take was she couldn't, not wouldn't, divide the money before the cruise. I'll find out exactly why.

We will be driving seperately to the pier,( we only live about 2 hours from Miami) should I try to arrange carpools?

Should I tell everyone to arrive at the same time at the pier, or just arrange a meeting time and place on the ship?

Should everybody have the same dining time, or should I give them an option? As of right now, I have everybody set for the late seating.

Should I try to pick table assignments...I don't want to get too much input from everybody, I think that could only cause a lot of headaches.

That is up to the feedback you get from them.

I would have everyone meet at the same place on the pier. First time cruiser's have no clue about embarkment and have a lot of questions. Make sure you tell all the cruiser's to do the online check-in prior to the cruise. Years ago, you had paper docs that needed to be filled in and signed and that caused a lot of confusion, to make sure everyone new how to fill them in and what info was needed for them.

I always tried to seat the whole group in the same location, at the same seating time. If someone felt they didn't want late/ early after the arrangements were made, I had the cruiser make the change of what they wanted.

If you know who would like to sit with each other, then go ahead and seat them at the same table. If you know of someone who isn't fond of someone else, then try to keep them apart. It's just like a Wedding when it comes to seating and table arrangements!;)

I would just have them meet on the ship. If some of them get hung up in traffic or want to stop somewhere along the way, it would make the others have to wait at the pier. Much easier to just have everyone board when they get there.

I personally would give them the option. Some don't like eating early while others don't like eating late. A lot also depends on what they have scheduled for the day's activities.

I agree with you on that one. It's easier to let the cruise line do it and if the people don't like who they are sitting with, you can blame the cruise line instead of taking the blame yourself.;)

We will be driving seperately to the pier,( we only live about 2 hours from Miami) should I try to arrange carpools? Carpooling will certainly save money on fuel and parking. Luggage may be the issue here.

Should I tell everyone to arrive at the same time at the pier, or just arrange a meeting time and place on the ship? Tell them you'll be on the pool deck (or wherever) by 2:00 (or whenever). They can meet you there after they get settled. You don't want to tell people they have to be somewhere at a certain time.

Should everybody have the same dining time, or should I give them an option? Give them the option. Again, don't force them to eat a certain time. Those of you that want to eat at the same time can have your reservations linked so that you all eat at the same table. As of right now, I have everybody set for the late seating.

Should I try to pick table assignments...I don't want to get too much input from everybody, I think that could only cause a lot of headaches. See above.

Don't try to plan everyone's schedule. Inform them of the options and let them make the decision. That way they can't be mad at you for forcing them to do something that they didn't want to.

You are looking for trouble!

let folks get their on their own schedule!

If you try to organize it......

"it is too early"

'It is too late"

"What happens if I am early?"

"What happens if I am late?"

AVOID trouble! Do not go looking for it!

Arrange to meet onboard. SOmething to the effect:

"Those that are interested, let's meet at the pool bar at 3:30pm, Port Side."

Give ourself cover and protection from the whiners of the world! You say none of your group are whiners? Have you ever been their group leader before? If not, don't test the waters!

Don't try and arrange car pools, you're going to have enough worries. Give everyone a time and place to meet ON THE SHIP. Maybe tell everyone to meet at the pool bar at sailaway, that's always a good one. Yes, give everyone the same dining time. People will be on their own all day and dining together will give everyone time to catch up, get to know each other and have their days activities to talk about.

Archived