Avalon Magnificent Europe Optional Trips

webfoot

Time is drawing closer and closer to our Magnificent Europe River Cruise. Avalon has published the list of optional excursions and I was hoping that I could get some feedback from the others here on which ones are worth spending the money for and which are not. Here is what is being shown as optional:

Amsterdam:

Rembrandt & Co

Sunflowers and other Masterpieces

Zaanse Schans - Klompen, cheese, and peanut oil

Regensburg:

Weltenburg Abbey and Danube Gorge

Salzburg:

Mozart's Sound of Music

Vienna:

Classical Concert in Vienna

A Visit of Schonbrunn Palace

We have already toured the Schonbrunn Palace so I don't think that we will do that again. I remember reading mixed reviews of Mozart's Sound of Music trip and I have been told by one other reliable reviewer that the Weltenburg Abbey and Danube Gorge trip wasn't that good.

Anything else that anyone can add will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

The only tour you mention that we took was the Salzburg Sound of Music tour. If you have never been to Salzburg, there is no question, you must take the tour. You will have alot of free time in Salzburg and it is a wonderful, historic little place. If you are a fan of the movie, the name of the tour and the references along the way will be interesting.

You will be driven by bus to Salzburg with a stop along the way in the village where the wedding in the movie was filmed. Again, if you are into the movie, this is interesting. If not, it is, nevertheless a charming village.

In Salzburg, you will have time to do one or two specific things, so you should do some research on your own and be ready to do what you would like to do. Our tour guide did the "city tour" at the end, which was really quite nice.

If you have been to Salzburg, there is no reason to take this tour.

Thanks so much for reporting on the Salzburg trip. This is one city that we have not been to ... we have been to both Vienna and Budapest before so I do not think that we will take any optional trips there ... in Vienna we will be happy to just sit at Demel and enjoy pastries and coffee ... yummy.

I must admit that I think that the Salzburg vs. Passau decision is one that we will have to research. I will look at both cities and try to make a good decision.

I am getting quite excited about leaving on this trip ... as we had 73 degree temperatures here in Virginia on Friday and freezing rain today ... it is time for spring and to see the tulips!!!

We were on Poetry last fall, and decided to forgo the tours, and take the

Passau tour instead. Only 6 of us decided to do this, and we wound up with

a very small group and a very knowledgeable guide. The tour was only 90 minutes, but was very good. We only had a short time in Passau, and then back on the Poetry to sail for Linz, where those who took the other tours joined us. We were treated to a great sit down luncheon on board, and spent the afternoon on the sun deck drinking wine and watching the scenery go by.

We were able to walk easily to the main square, and discovered a Woolworth's there that ha very good prices, and we bought additional underwear and socks. Cheaper than having laundry done. Had a beer in one of the sidewalk cafes and back to the ship.

We are going on another Avalon River cruise in August, and this time we will take the tour.

You are sure right about the pastries in Vienna. We went to the same place, and are going there again!!

A few tips:

Be sure to take a good pair of binoculars, so much to see as you cruise the river

Take a shopping bag for the markets, but be sure it has a zippered closure

as there are some pickpockets that target open shopping bags, esp in Budapest at the main hall.

Once you cruise the river, it will spoil you an draw you back

Thanks! Binoculars are at the top of our 'to pack' list ... we forgot them when we went to New Zealand and Australia ...

How far in advance does Avalon have you book the optional tours? The first day??? We definitely want this trip to be relaxing and may wind up not taking as many optional tours as we took with the others trips.

I really do appreciate all of the help from those on this board ... I have learned so much about what to do and what not to do ... where to go and where not to go ....

I'll definitely post a trip report when we get back.

I fully agree with other posters here. Salzburg (if you have not seen it) is deemed an absolute must. Not going there would be like coming to San Jose, CA and missing on San Francisco, CA. (Yeah, I have heard that one before: San Francisco is just another city. Right!)

Staying onboard and walking through Passau with a good guide is OK. However, in order to meet up with other passengers in Linz and because, lovely as it is, Passau is NOT a major sight of the Salzburg calibre, you spend the whole day sailing and reading your book in the lounge. Good, if you have no place to read at home but hardly worth your money, once you came to Europe to see and experience.

For the passengers who have already visited Salzburg, Avalon is now usually offering a superb tour of Cesky Krumlov on that very same day as an alternative to the Salzburg trip. Google that place and you'll redefine your own version of what 'breath-taking' really means.

Yet another point: US dollar has broken historical lows against EURO. Avalon shore excursions are still priced in US dollars and the rates are very reasonable. This is a huge advantage you do not want to miss on.

EURiverCruiser

Regensburg:

Weltenburg Abbey and Danube Gorge

We did this trip with another company and found it very enjoyable. The abbey is beautiful and the gogre was also spectacular, although the boat ride was not very long.

Regensburg was a very good stop too. We enjoyed our city tour and then wandering around there. My suggestion is to look at the schedule and see the alternatives to the optional tour . . .

Thanks for the input on Cesky Krumlov. I had heard from someone else that Avalon was offering that tour ... I loved the website and am now thinking that maybe this will be what we do ...

As for the Weltenburg Abbey and Danube Gorge, we are still thinking about this. I am one who loves to look at cathedrals and this Abbey would be just another one to add to my list.

I really do appreciate the input that I have received from those who and willing to share their knowledge and experience. So much to do ... I just don't want to overdo with optional trips and miss out on just walking through the city.

Archived