Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

This new dress code is not supposed to take place until 05/19/08....I see you're sailing in 22 days.

I haven't looked but others say it's on Carnival's website already. So....who knows??

It is the dress code that has been in effect all along. The only difference is that Carnival has made it official.

My DH and I will dress for dinner. It is very rare that we get to do this so I am happy that we can do it on our cruise. I am sorry they are relaxing the rules for dinner, I think they should have kept it like it was.

Have people been denied access with shorts on up until this point?

In my experience, no. There were a number of people on our last cruise who wore shorts in the dining room.

Also, how strict are they about the "beach flip flop" is this any thong sandal?

No, they mean flip-flops like this:

1503064944_Beachflip-flops.jpg.1b55491d6dca609813d11bdf26861f60.jpg

It is the dress code that has been in effect all along. The only difference is that Carnival has made it official.

Well said ! This written code sounds exactly like what we saw on the Victory last month anyways.

DH was less than pleased with me when I disapproved of his wearing dress shorts (on nonformal nights) to the dining room since on that cruise he saw SO many others doing it (even on Formal night). I think I'll just let him think on our next cruise I'm being nice when I tell him, go ahead and wear them if you want honey !! ;) :D

They did throw the fashion police a bone, however. Tshirts are not prohibited on non-formal nights, but are on formal nights. The FP will no doubt cry that because they are neither listed as permitted or prohibited they are forbidden on non-formal nights. They will be wrong again.

Well... poop! I guess we're not going to dress up any more...

WRONG!!!

Of course we're going to dress and be formal and have our own fun... I see that I'll still be allowed in formals and dressing for dinner... Nowhere is formal or proper dressing disallowed...

I'm OK...

Hopefully you will be on our cruise, Sparty... I would love to have you at our table in any dining room! You sound like a wonderful guy who knows what he wants in life... and is willing to stand up for it! You seem to have an amazing sense of humor... wouldn't it be nice if all in our world would just be comfortable with themselves and not judge others? I say to my 1st grade students all the time: Isn't it great to live in America where we can all be different?

What exactly looks masculine on men's bottoms? If you say Khaki Docker type pants im going to soil my manpris. That is the epitome of wimpy 9-5'er middle management pushover chubbly non-manly men. Its all about perception. I am quite masculine, I ooze machismo. Im breaking down barriers. I am willing to be a martyr for this cause.

A great fitting pair of Levi Jeans, with no shirt and the top button undone.

Since you asked. ;)

I now have 2 pairs of manpris that will be making the trip with me in 15 days. Manpris, long a staple of men in Europe, need and deserve a hero like me to champion their cause. Sure, I will be mocked and ridiculed at first, but soon they will catch on when they notice a hunky, dreamy, 30 something man, looking damned good in his cropped pants.

Pardon the pun, but you didnt mention what other attire you will be packing... ahem:D

Will you be wearing your man clogs with your manpris?:)

Here ya go sparty

http://www.ohmythatsawesome.com/2006/07/manpris.html

:D I wondered the same thing. I, for one, love my dh in his docker dress shorts - shows off his sexy legs and takes the eye off of the developing beer belly. :eek:

Oh honey, I am WITH YA on this one!!! :p I could have written this post. I love my husband's legs - they are "fighting Irish" legs - big, muscular and hairy. But the past couple of years haven't been so good to his midsection...

Should I assume the other moderate cost cruise lines are no dressier these days? Or are there affordable alternatives that don't have something equivalent to this new relaxed dress code?

It's not just the Moderate lines. Azamara allows shorts in their dining rooms also an dthey have no formal nights at all. :eek: Here is what their site says.

Proper Dining Attire

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual and there are no scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. We ask that guests refrain from bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, or jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Examples of resort attire for men

Sportswear, golf shirts, shorts, pants, sport coat (if desired, but not required). Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Examples of resort attire for women

Sportswear, shorts, casual dresses, skirts, pants. Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

I am also sorry they are relaxing the dress code. Just returned from a March Cruise and on 2nd Formal Night, man came into the dining room in wrinkled shorts and wrinkled white long sleeve shirt. Looked like He slept in it. In my opinion this is not acceptable. The Maitre D should have stopped him as He entered . Everybody else was dressed appropriately.Will the new rules be enforced. I really don't think so... I am also glad the heelies are not allowed. Only hope this rule is also enforced. I was run into at the mall by a 10year old boy and was almost knocked off my feet as I didn't see Him coming from behind me. He slipped on the marble floor and fell as well as hit me. Very dangerous! Should be interesting to see what happens with the enforcement of this new dress code.

Well, this makes me sad. I enjoyed dressing up w/ my wife for the dinners. It was one of the particular things about cruising that we enjoyed. I understand the other side. I take trips myself where I want to be comfortable and casual. To those who say I can dress up anyway, it isn't the same.

I do not think this new dress code is clearer. I think it creates many areas the dining room staff will have to enforce, and based on past experience, they won't even attempt it. So, I believe it will slowly deteriorate. Right now you see Casual night attire on Formal Night in the dining rooms. I am sure this will still be the case under the new code. Imagine that, Tuxes and T-Shirts at the same table.

For a while it might make many feel uncomfortable. Imagine sitting at a table where most at the table have elected to dress up and one couple has followed the dress code but are very casual. That casual couple is probably going to feel uncomfortable. And the reverse could happen as well. A dressy couple at a table full of casual folks. They could feel uncomfortable. I know that many of you on here say that you have always dressed as you like and don't worry about what others think, but most people are not like that. And based on the fact that I have only seen 1 pair of shorts in the dining room and maybe a dozen in jeans over my 8 cruises, I wonder if you are being honest.

Oh well, I am going to have to decide for myself what this means for me. New cruiseline, go casual, or stay dressy? Haven't decided yet.

I am sure that CCL marketing has researched this. I have no doubt this is a wise business decision. I have many relatives who say they are not interested in a cruise simply beacuse of having to dress for dinner.

Never the less, I am a little sad today.

I'll chime in with some of the others who are taking teens on their cruise. We are taking my step D and her friend next April. I plan to insist that they "dress" for dinner. Too often my dd does not quite yet understand the appropriate means of dress for certain social situations. I think it is good practice for her. She can wear capris and a nice blouse, a sundress, but definately no shorts! Dinner is a special time for us, as our family usually goes different ways during the day and late night hours. It's a time for us to sit down together and talk about our experience. I really couldn't give a fig about what others are wearing, either at home or on a cruise. :D

I now have 2 pairs of manpris that will be making the trip with me in 15 days. Manpris, long a staple of men in Europe, need and deserve a hero like me to champion their cause. Sure, I will be mocked and ridiculed at first, but soon they will catch on when they notice a hunky, dreamy, 30 something man, looking damned good in his cropped pants.

Dude. I have GOT to book on your cruise. Between your chair hogging and your manpris, I'm thinking I could be well entertained without stepping foot into the ... show... place... thingie.

They did throw the fashion police a bone, however. Tshirts are not prohibited on non-formal nights, but are on formal nights. The FP will no doubt cry that because they are neither listed as permitted or prohibited they are forbidden on non-formal nights. They will be wrong again.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Not the FP but the shirts for men say "collared sport shirts" and for ladies it says "blouses" there are no etc. so I take it to mean just what it says.

:D What Sparty is neglecting to you all is the other night he was calling them

Man Capris.. .til i non-chalantly corrected him:D :D

Originally Posted by spartygrad95 viewpost.gif

I just upped my quota of chairs im saving to 12 now. Ill be the dude in the man capris oozing machismo. BRING IT!

Just one question.. will you be wearing the manpris because Ventureman took your jeans?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=743284&page=6

I don't have any big problem with this change, but there is one thing they don't spell out. Sweat pants. My feeling is that they do not belong on ANYBODY outside of their homes (cabins) or the gym. I assume/hope that they are not permitted in the dining room, but this dress code doesn't address that issue at all...

How about some comfy pajama pants? Heck I see them in the grocery stores around here.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Not the FP but the shirts for men say "collared sport shirts" and for ladies it says "blouses" there are no etc. so I take it to mean just what it says.

Feel better?

Why are tshirts specifically prohibited on formal nights and not on non-formal nights?

On my last Carnival cruise I sent my shirts out the first thing on board so I would have nicely pressed shirts for dinner. Much to my dismay I didn't see them again for three days. My shirt was most likely wrinkled even though I attempted to launder it in the sink and hang it to dry. My table mates must have thought I was a slob. They finally did find my laundry.....but.

I love the new rule. I have my dress shorts dry cleaned and always have. You wear what makes you happy and leave my sorry ass alone.

THE END

Archived