Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

If you're talking casualwear in general, then probably just about anything except a piece of clothing where you have to do a double take to see if it's a guy or girl wearing it. For cruise casualwear, yes my hubby likes Dockers ;) but then again he wears them well :D

If you're talking all clothing as a whole, to me nothing looks as nice as a man in a nice well-fitting suit with a splash of color in the shirt/tie. So that means no suits from the 70's, no suits jackets where the buttons look like they would pop out if buttoned, etc., etc. Most any man can be fitted properly for a suit, think of all the paunchy movie stars that look smashing in their suits/tuxes--Don't be misled by the manpris--they're contaminating your mind :eek:

Cindy

Listen, Im not required to wear a suit for anthing in my life, and I have bought 3 suits in the last 6 months. They are fabulous, I agree. To me, though, as far as what looks macho on a dude, its denim. Good denim pants. Not toughskins. I wont wear manpris to dinner on the ship, nor will I wear denim. I will wear manpris on excursion and during the day. I wont bring denim, a Caribbean cruise and denim equals a major case of chaffage in my book. Im not a fan of monkey-butt;) :D

Ack, shorts with dress shoes and a jacket! Men, please don't do this (even in Bermuda)!!! :eek:

As someone who worked in Bermuda, it does take a bit of getting used to - but once you adjust, it is a very sensible arrangement. It's business dress but perfect for the hot and sometimes humid climate........ Not quite sure it would work on a Carnival ship though

I think the change is a good one. Makes sense and updates the dress code to fit the world we live in. I think it actually spells things out a bit more and leaves less lee way in interpretation. (Although, how long are "dress shorts (long)"?)

That too bad. I used to enjoy the dressier dinners. You could still dress up of course, but you could wear a tux to McDonalds too. You'd just be overdressed, as you will on the ship now if you dress nicely.QUOTE]

And what a shame that will be. You know, I loved (and still love) watching the James Bond movies...exotic destinations, glamorous clothing/jewels were a part of every movie. In a small way a cruise recreates that feel of 'glamor' with their beautiful, ornate dining rooms, theatres, and encourages guests to enhance the experience by dressing accordingly and soaking up the richness.

But....enough cruisers have been complaining for a long time that they want (the equivalent) of the cruise ship experience with the McDonalds mentality.

Cindy

While I will probably continue to dress the same way I always have, I'm glad to see a more spelled-out and defined dress code that leaves a lot less room for interpretation. Now if we could just get it enforced consistently...

That's exactly what I was thinking. If it's enforced then I agree. And I will still dress up for elegant night or whatever it's called.

That too bad. I used to enjoy the dressier dinners. You could still dress up of course, but you could wear a tux to McDonalds too. You'd just be overdressed, as you will on the ship now if you dress nicely.QUOTE]

And what a shame that will be. You know, I loved (and still love) watching the James Bond movies...exotic destinations, glamorous clothing/jewels were a part of every movie. In a small way a cruise recreates that feel of 'glamor' with their beautiful, ornate dining rooms, theatres, and encourages guests to enhance the experience by dressing accordingly and soaking up the richness.

But....enough cruisers have been complaining for a long time that they want (the equivalent) of the cruise ship experience with the McDonalds mentality.

Cindy

Holy Crap! Did you wear a tiara to your wedding too? Reality here, have we met? I am not James Bond, hell, Sean Connery isnt James Bond. He is fictional as is this whole dream of stodgy old fashioned cruise ships. This is HARDLY a McDonalds mentality. Ill give ya Applebees, but not McDonalds, although it should be more akin to Mickey Dees, because from all the wretched slop I've been fed on a ship, I'd rather choke down a quarter pounder with cheese. You are eating common food, dress like a commoner.

Sparty, I got a bone to pick with you! I'm at work and you are making it VERY hard for me to keep from laughing out-loud! I love your sense of humor! Your taste, well, okay we differ there! :D Now see I could get away with shorts because my legs are so white everybody would think I was just wearing some knee high whte socks! LOL! Manpris...hmmmm...not sure I'l get used to that one! I don't even like capris on women, but that's just me! I think they look like high-water pants! But I have no fashion sense on anything newer than maybe 25 years! ;) I know capris are probably older than that, but, well.... I noticed no-one mentioned not wanting to see you in a speedo or thong! LOL! Speedos are fine, except outside of high school/college/olympic swim teams the only time I see them worn is on huge hairy guys that they just about disappear on! That is not a fashion staement, that is a fashion disaster! :D But it does give me a good snicker!

Another example of the dumbing down of America.. this "me, me, me" attitude is a loathesome as my 2600 character signature. This thrills me to no end that some relics who want to use the "way back time machine" to always live in the days of yore, are going to have eat choke on this dress code. These apples are TASTY.. Relics?

Sooooooooo does this mean your for....or against the new dress code:confused:

Sooooooooo does this mean your for....or against the new dress code:confused:

I could care less, im just more interested in those whose panties are getting bunched up over it. Me, im flowin' free in my manpris. By the way, an important point on what I think is important in the manpri debate. One, they MUST be linen and TWO, they must be worn cowboy.

I could care less, im just more interested in those whose panties are getting bunched up over it. Me, im flowin' free in my manpris. By the way, an important point on what I think is important in the manpri debate. One, they MUST be linen and TWO, they must be worn cowboy.

FTLOG! Why don't you start your own manpris thread:cool:

Or better yet a how much do I love myself thread.........

Holy Crap! Did you wear a tiara to your wedding too? Reality here, have we met? I am not James Bond, hell, Sean Connery isnt James Bond. He is fictional as is this whole dream of stodgy old fashioned cruise ships. This is HARDLY a McDonalds mentality. Ill give ya Applebees, but not McDonalds, although it should be more akin to Mickey Dees, because from all the wretched slop I've been fed on a ship, I'd rather choke down a quarter pounder with cheese. You are eating common food, dress like a commoner.

I know you're not James Bond--he wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of manpris. Take your quarter pounder, I'd rather have a delicious bisque appetizer, followed by a couple of lobsters, and then finish it off with warm chocolate melting cake, coffee and an after-dinner liqueur. All served to me, no waiting in line either. Ain't a thing "common" about that.

FTLOG! Why don't you start your own manpris thread:cool:

Or better yet a how much do I love myself thread.........

FTLOG? is that Norse? I have started one, a while back on the cruise fashion and beauty thread. They were much more receptive. :p What gives? This horse is still twitchin' dontcha think? I think the answer to how much I love myself is obvious, I was thinkin' a "How much I wish I could be like Sparty" thread? You in?;) :p

I think you meant commando:)

I know you're not James Bond--he wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of manpris. Take your quarter pounder, I'd rather have a delicious bisque appetizer, followed by a couple of lobsters, and then finish it off with warm chocolate melting cake, coffee and an after-dinner liqueur. All served to me, no waiting in line either. Ain't a thing "common" about that.

Mmmm.. frozen lobster tail.. how haute cuisine. C'mon now. Im a food snob, on top of a fashion snob, and hell, a snob in general. That food is high society for those whom you complain about their attire. Warm chocolate melting cake? I wouldnt put that swill near my palate. And unless your after dinner drink is a 18 year or old Caol Ila, I dont wanna hear about it.:p ;)

Thank YOU! It's the dining room on a Carnival ship. Not a three-Michelin-star restaurant. Unless Eric freakin' Ripert is preparing the lobster for me, no dressy Lemur.

You have now just lost 98.987% of the thread readers with the Eric Ripert comment. If you would have thrown in a BAM! or something like that, the sheep would have nodded in approval.

Mmmm.. frozen lobster tail.. how haute cuisine. C'mon now. Im a food snob, on top of a fashion snob, and hell, a snob in general. That food is high society for those whom you complain about their attire. Warm chocolate melting cake? I wouldnt put that swill near my palate. And unless your after dinner drink is a 18 year or old Caol Ila, I dont wanna hear about it.:p ;)

So Sparty, please make I be so brazen as to ask, why you would cruise the common Cruise line Carnival???:confused: It really has me quite puzzled.:confused:

You have now just lost 98.987% of the thread readers with the Eric Ripert comment. If you would have thrown in a BAM! or something like that, the sheep would have nodded in approval.

Thank you (again) for not mentioning the Ewok by name.

Seriously though, I enjoy the food in the dining room as much as the next person, but it's *not* fine dining. It's certainly not McDonald's either, but if Mesa Grill can deal with my jeans, so can the Carnival dinner staff.

I think this is too bad. The dining room shouldn't be a place for shorts (in my opinion).

Everybody eats sitting down and you can't see the legs of those you are dining with so why does it matter if one is wearing dress shorts or slacks?

Edit: Why are some worried about everybody else anyway? You will be on that ship for a few days and more than likely you will NEVER see that person again, so why are some offended about the clothes others are wearing? I guess I miss the point of a cruise if it isn't for relaxation and having fun. Everyone has a right to obsess over whatever they want, and life is full of problems to worry about without sweating the little stuff such as what the other person is wearing at dinner.

I will admit that one of the women we sat with had major cleavage showing at dinner every night on our cruise. She had everything but the nipples showing (top cleavage, side cleavage, bottom cleavage). Some may find that more offensive (my wife for example) than whether or not someone is wearing jeans on formal night.

Archived