Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

Manpris do NOT go well with a tuxedo, but they would go well with my ascot, which I will be donning on ELEGANT dining evening.

You walked into the party

like you were walking onto a yacht

Your hair strategically dipped below one eye

Your scarf, it was apricot

You had one eye in the mirror as

You watched yourself go by

And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner

They'd be your partner, aaannnnnd...

Hey! If you really graduated from Mich State in '95, you wouldn't have been around for Carly to write that song about you!! :p

You walked into the party

like you were walking onto a yacht

Your HAT strategically dipped below one eye

Your scarf, it was apricot

You had one eye in the mirror as

You watched yourself gavotte

And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner

They'd be your partner, aaannnnnd...

Hey! If you really graduated from Mich State in '95, you wouldn't have been around for Carly to write that song about you!! :p

Sorry I couldnt resist.. i am a stickler for lyrics.. :D

ARGH! What the hell is "gavotte"?? I'm assuming it's a dance? Dammit, I've been singing "hair" and "go by" for... EVER! :mad:

LOL

I looked it up a long time ago... i dont remember - i think its a french dance or french for a quick move

LOL

i love it;)

The meal doesn't have to be a stun-the-senses dining experience to warrant better attire. Take a clue from the decor. Mickey D's doesn't expect ballgowns, cruiseship dining rooms look as though a tux or gown would be just perfect. But, people will be people, and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ;)

Not to be condescending, but you're not real familiar with true fine dining, are you? The decor in most cruise ship dining rooms is one par with most Long Island catering halls. So is the food. It's there to please the masses. That's great, they do it well. And that doesn't mean you should go to dinner in your best sweats and $2 flip flops, but I'm surely not breaking out the sequin gown just because of some gilt and uplighting. But hey, that's just me. I don't break out the dresses for anything short of a Michelin star. And even then, if I'm hitting the lunch menu, they get my best business casual.

In the end, I guess it comes down to what you WANT to wear and not what everyone else is wearing. Unless you *want* to come buy my clothes for me. And even then I think we might have some differences of opinion. But I'll gladly admire you in your finery.

Why are tshirts specifically prohibited on formal nights and not on non-formal nights?

They probably got tired of the WT (white trash) showing up in those airbrushed tuxedo t-shirts ;)

Those are probably the same folks to whom the 'do not operate a hair dryer while in the tub' warnings apply. :D

Cindy

Hopefully you will be on our cruise, Sparty... I would love to have you at our table in any dining room! You sound like a wonderful guy who knows what he wants in life... and is willing to stand up for it! You seem to have an amazing sense of humor... wouldn't it be nice if all in our world would just be comfortable with themselves and not judge others? I say to my 1st grade students all the time: Isn't it great to live in America where we can all be different?

Aww.. gracias. You are too kind. And, believe it or not, I am kind of a dipwad. At least im a fun dipwad though. Have fun on your cruise and embrace your differences.

They probably got tired of the WT (white trash) showing up in those airbrushed tuxedo t-shirts ;)

Those are probably the same folks to whom the 'do not operate a hair dryer while in the tub' warnings apply. :D

Cindy

What difference a day makes. Yesterday people who wore jeans were classless, inbred, knuckle-scraping hics and today they are fully compliant, acceptable, and have class. A glorious day, indeed!

Feel better?

Why are tshirts specifically prohibited on formal nights and not on non-formal nights?

Huh? I was just posting on how I read the material. You can read it anyway you like.

Believe me I'm the wrong person for this fight. I own 4 pairs of shoes and when they fall apart I'll buy the same shoe. When I was kid and didn't want to wear what my mother told me to wear she would say "it's clean and paid for, that's all the counts". I've sorta turned into my mother.

Not to be condescending, but you're not real familiar with true fine dining, are you? The decor in most cruise ship dining rooms is one par with most Long Island catering halls. So is the food. It's there to please the masses. That's great, they do it well. And that doesn't mean you should go to dinner in your best sweats and $2 flip flops, but I'm surely not breaking out the sequin gown just because of some gilt and uplighting. But hey, that's just me. I don't break out the dresses for anything short of a Michelin star. And even then, if I'm hitting the lunch menu, they get my best business casual.

In the end, I guess it comes down to what you WANT to wear and not what everyone else is wearing. Unless you *want* to come buy my clothes for me. And even then I think we might have some differences of opinion. But I'll gladly admire you in your finery.

I don't get the correlation between dress and quality. Aren't most "formal" occasions (weddings, banquets, awards ceremonies) generally big catered affairs as opposed to fine cooked-to-order haute cuisine? By that logic, it makes more sense to dress up for a dressy night on a cruise ship than for a restaurant with Michelin star(s)...

I don't get the correlation between dress and quality of dining. Aren't most "formal" occasions (weddings, banquets, awards ceremonies) generally big catered affairs as opposed to fine cooked-to-order haute cuisine? By that logic, it makes more sense to dress up for a dressy night on a cruise ship than for a restaurant with Michelin star(s)...

I don't get the correlation between dress and quality. Aren't most "formal" occasions (weddings, banquets, awards ceremonies) generally big catered affairs as opposed to fine cooked-to-order haute cuisine? By that logic, it makes more sense to dress up for a dressy night on a cruise ship than for a restaurant with Michelin star(s)...

If it's a buffet wedding, ill respectfully send a check and save my good clothes from the possibility of being violated by a fake butter sauce on the omnipresent green bean and almond casserole.

You know, I've stayed out of most of these Dress Code discussions, and just sat back and watched, but this one kinda gets to me.

Not one single person has said you can't dress up if you want to!! NO ONE!! My DF and I love getting dressed up for formal events and will do so on our honeymoon cruise in October. BECAUSE WE LIKE TO. If Billy over there doesn't want to, that's his business. I like to, so I will. Honestly, my job is really casual and where I live is pretty relaxed, so I enjoy dressing up when I can. But if you don't want to, why on Earth should I care?! And if you do want to? GREAT!! Go to town! Enjoy it!!

Get a grip people. Seriously.

Sheesh.

That's the most sensible thing I've heard in a long while!:D

At least Carnival is more specific in the Dress Code wording, there is no second guessing and I'm glad they also mentioned Heelys not being allowed.

We like to dress up too.

Fred

Hey! Just a few more days! Guess I'll have to unpack the heelys, LOL ;)

Spartygrad, what a pity we'll miss you by one week...I'm crying my eyes out :D Ask me nicely, and I promise to bring the ship back to Miami on time. :p

Listen, I'd have fun with you, even if I dont agree with you and think your thinking about the formality of dress on a cruise ship is best suited for the mid 20th century. We can agree to disagree, I have much more fun with people im polar opposites with. Just bring the ship back, that is all I ask, a few hours late, im still cool with that.

Just bring the ship back, that is all I ask, a few hours late, im still cool with that.

I dont know if thats going to be possible, we have a crazy roll call and even Ron from the Piano Bar came to our roll call to greet us. :D

Not sure if Freedom will be back on time but I will promise she will return in one piece. :)

Fred

I want to see a picture of that stud muffin Sparty in his manpris NOW! I don't know if I can stand to wait until after his cruise with all this build up.

wee_hee.gif

Like I have prophesized.. The woman are swooning and the manpris are still on a HANGER! Time to get jealous fellas!

A while back I asked my PVP about Elegant Dining. She never heard of it...no surprise there!

Today, she received the memo. Here it is:

Carnival Communication Flash

Volume 18 March 28, 2008

Hello Everyone,

Please be aware that we have made a change in our Dress Code policy.

Below you will find the new policy as it will be stated in our marketing materials:

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England / Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

The new policy will be enforced beginning with May 19th sailings

What is different???? it has always been that way. What is the big deal. It is just being enforced now because of people who don't read the brochure and all.

Okay now jeans ARE okay.....notice how they keep saying cutoff. People shouldn't be in jeans with holes in the anytime....clothes with holes is tacky with a capital T.

I think dress shorts are like gaucho pants....I have some black capris that look like capris slacks that I wear....I breathe more than long slacks and those I don't mind wearing the whole night:p

Archived