Another airline joins the fray

tbelian

I agree with you 100% Gary, but there must come a point where logistics and passenger comfort is involved.

I took an HNL - YVR flight two weeks ago and it was one of the most uncomfortable journeys i've ever taken - for the same reasons posted above..... I truly did only have half a seat for myself and my fellow passenger (despite his very best intentions) was sharing my space....... he certainly could have used two seats for his sole use for sure.

As the Canadian Government ruled some time ago that airlines can not charge overweight passengers for a second seat, I am surprised that the U.S. with a supposedly strong ADA hasn't done the same. I too have had my space "infringed" upon but I can live with a few hours of discomfort. There appears to be some on this board that can not tolerate anyone/thing that doesn't conform and I find that sad. Discrimination in any form should never be accepted and I personally wish the mods would remove those posts promoting discrimination.

Oh, for cryin' out loud, Gary! Let's all take some responsibility for ourselves, huh? (or in the case of Canadians, "eh?")

My dad topped out at 420 lbs before he died, and always bought 2 seats for himself on a plane, since that's how much room he needed. (He weighed almost FOUR TIMES as much as I weigh.) He would be the first person to tell you that his "disability" was due to what he called a "weak table muscle; he just couldn't push himself away from the table!"

I could eat like that, too, but I don't. Is anybody worried about my "disability" of being thin???? Come on...:rolleyes:

I've ignored responding to this thread for awhile, but Gary, I 100% agree with you. Who is going to determine how "fat" is "too fat?" And really, does anybody truly want to get on a scale at the airport.

Everybody on this board can afford a cruise, for heaven's sake, just buck up and pay the $25.00. Geez....

I too have had my space "infringed" upon but I can live with a few hours of discomfort.

Recently I took a flight from Dallas to Vancouver, and was in a window seat. A guy who must have weighed 275 pounds sat in the middle seat. We sat in the plane for an hour before finally taking off on a 4 1/2 hour flight. I had to twist my torso against the fuselage in order to accommodate his girth. After three hours I developed a pain in my left chest from the contortion. When my discomfort is the result of another's obesity, there is a big difference between irritation and discrimination or prejudice.

Donald.

Oh, for cryin' out loud, Gary! Let's all take some responsibility for ourselves, huh? (or in the case of Canadians, "eh?")

My dad topped out at 420 lbs before he died, and always bought 2 seats for himself on a plane, since that's how much room he needed. (He weighed almost FOUR TIMES as much as I weigh.) He would be the first person to tell you that his "disability" was due to what he called a "weak table muscle; he just couldn't push himself away from the table!"

I could eat like that, too, but I don't. Is anybody worried about my "disability" of being thin???? Come on...:rolleyes:

I like your weak table muscle comment.

My son topped out at 477 lbs before having baratric surgery last year. He refused to fly when weighing that much. He has now lost 262 lbs and we flew before taking our last cruise and although he is tall 6'4" he was comfortable.

So are we going to complain about people taking up too much leg space too?

And while we are at it .. how about the chair arm hogs.:confused:

As the Canadian Government ruled some time ago that airlines can not charge overweight passengers for a second seat, I am surprised that the U.S. with a supposedly strong ADA hasn't done the same. I too have had my space "infringed" upon but I can live with a few hours of discomfort. There appears to be some on this board that can not tolerate anyone/thing that doesn't conform and I find that sad. Discrimination in any form should never be accepted and I personally wish the mods would remove those posts promoting discrimination.

Thank you.

I could not agree more.

And we seem to be getting more and more posters like that.

My son topped out at 477 lbs before having baratric surgery last year. He refused to fly when weighing that much. He has now lost 262 lbs and we flew before taking our last cruise and although he is tall 6'4" he was comfortable.

Congratulations to your son! I'll bet he's got a whole new lease on life!:D

Sorry this turned into a thread about people's weight when it started about luggage restirctions --just put your arm rest down & each person stay on their side of it...1 seat to a customer as the saying goes!

As to packing: who else packs suits in a regular suitcase & does it come out ruined & wrinkled? Can the cabin attendant steam them back to life! Guess if we packed a suit--no room then for another sports jacket---

This is going to help the casual dress fans immensely!

Archived