Knocking Pax Off Reservations

jacksan1

Well, I knew that this was probably going to happen when we booked our Alaska cruise for a big group a year ahead of the sailing. Some people have changed their minds, and are dropping out. The catch with us is that the people who want to drop out are in triples and quads, instead of having their own rooms. In other words, we now need to knock some people off the existing bookings while preserving the suddenly more spacious rooms.

Does Princess let you knock people off the existing bookings (change bookings), or do we have to start new reservations after cancelling the existing ones? Do they (Princess, not TA, who may have something else) charge fees for that (I understand that the per-person fare will go up for an obvious reason)?

We are, by the way, 5 months out from the sailing, and well before the penalty round (< 75 days).

Thanks! :)

As far as I know , the people can be dropped and the remaining people keep the same cabin/reservation. Obviously, the 2 persons remaining would pay the regular 1st and 2nd person rate.

I have never heard of a fee being charged for this if the cancelation is outside the cancelation period as you indicate.

Do not understand. On Princess ships, triple and quad rooms are the same size as those that are not.

Well, if you have a quad, and two people suddenly drop out, the same room suddenly becomes awfully big! ;)

Sorry - tongue in cheek here.

Well, if you have a quad, and two people suddenly drop out, the same room suddenly becomes awfully big! ;)

Sorry - tongue in cheek here.

The quads have beds that drop down from the ceiling at bedtime.. :confused::confused:

The quads have beds that drop down from the ceiling at bedtime.. :confused::confused:

I think you are taking my words too literally here. :o

Of course, the physical dimensions don't change. But if there are a four of us in a room, and two of us walk out, the remaining two of us would have more space, right? I mean, figuratively? Kinda like an empty middle seat on an airliner.

I have been in quads and triples on Princess ships, so I know how they are configured.

Princess would not knock a party of two, that started as three or four out of a designated cabin. The price would remain the same for passenger one and passenger two with the third and fourth reduced fare being dropped.

Well, I knew that this was probably going to happen when we booked our Alaska cruise for a big group a year ahead of the sailing. Some people have changed their minds, and are dropping out. The catch with us is that the people who want to drop out are in triples and quads, instead of having their own rooms. In other words, we now need to knock some people off the existing bookings while preserving the suddenly more spacious rooms.

Does Princess let you knock people off the existing bookings (change bookings), or do we have to start new reservations after cancelling the existing ones? Do they (Princess, not TA, who may have something else) charge fees for that (I understand that the per-person fare will go up for an obvious reason)?

We are, by the way, 5 months out from the sailing, and well before the penalty round (< 75 days).

Thanks! :)

I can see how some people were confused with your post since you made it sound like the rooms would suddenly become larger with less people staying in a triple or quad.

Are you wanting to keep your reservations of the triple/quad rooms with no pax reserved in those rooms (meaning that if 4 people reserved a quad and all 4 people decided not to go, then still keep the reservation)? Not sure if Princess will let that happen as I thought they need pax info to keep the reservation.

I think you are taking my words too literally here. :o

Of course, the physical dimensions don't change. But if there are a four of us in a room, and two of us walk out, the remaining two of us would have more space, right? I mean, figuratively? Kinda like an empty middle seat on an airliner.

I have been in quads and triples on Princess ships, so I know how they are configured.

I think we are all trying to understand what you are posting.

Are you saying as an example that the room for 4 people was going to cost $2,000 and each person was going to pay $500 rather than the 1st and 2nd person paying the larger amount and the 3rd and 4th persons paying the smaller amount? Now by 2 people backing out the other 2 each will have to pay more?

Why do you have to knock people off the bookings to "preserving the suddenly more spacious rooms"? Do the 2 people left in these rooms not want to pay the higher price?

Your post is very confusing :confused: :confused: and for you to get the answers you are asking for I think a better explanation might help.

If I'm getting what you are asking, here is the way it usually works:

You can cancel pax from the booking up to final without having to pay cancellation fees. You can however, replace only one pax in the room without having to cancel and rebook, and at least one of the remaining pax must be an original (i.e. on the booking when it was initiated), or you will have to cancel and rebook. Name change fees of $50.00 per person MAY apply outside of penalty period if you are doing more than one name change, and they WILL apply inside of penalty if you are doing ANY name change.

Should they need a quad cabin that is occupied by only two people, they may ask you to move to an ordinary double (it doesn't happen often, because they are limited by SOLAS regulations and fire safety regulations in the number of triple and quad occupied cabins they may have occupied in a single fire zone), but it can and does happen on occasion. Otherwise, you booked it, you can keep it.

As to monies paid, first and second pax rates don't change. Third and fourth pax (if booked before the new deposit changes) would not have paid a deposit, so would not be expecting a deposit refund. If paid in full, they would get back any monies due them after penalty fees. If, however, you were all splitting the fares evenly to save money, you would owe them money out of your pocket.

Does that sort of answer your question?

Thanks everyone for the explanation. Sorry about my language being confusing. I could have done a better job. I appreciate you all trying to understand and for understanding me correctly.

Graphically speaking, this is what I was trying to say (an example):

Current Booking

Cabin A (quad): Pax #1, Pax #2, Pax #3 & Pax #4

Change Occuring: Pax #3 and 4 want to drop out. Pax #1 & 2 want to stay in the same Cabin.

My Questions:

a. Would Princess make us cancel the above booking and start a new one when dropping Pax #3 and 4?; and if not,

b. Would Princess make us pay a fee to get Pax 3 & 4 off the booking for Cabin A?

I should have written my questions like that. But you guys were great in figuring me out and giving me the answers that I was looking for. Thanks so much! :)

Thanks everyone for the explanation. Sorry about my language being confusing. I could have done a better job. I appreciate you all trying to understand and for understanding me correctly.

Current Booking

Change Occuring: Pax #3 and 4 want to drop out. Pax #1 & 2 want to stay in the same Cabin.

My Questions:

a. Would Princess make us cancel the above booking and start a new one when dropping Pax #3 and 4?; and if not,

b. Would Princess make us pay a fee to get Pax 3 & 4 off the booking for Cabin A?

I should have written my questions like that. But you guys were great in figuring me out and giving me the answers that I was looking for. Thanks so much! :)

No. You can cancel Pax #3 and #4 without penalty (no fee) as long as it's before final payment. You should be fine. Pax #1 OR Pax #2 would have to remain on the booking should one of them need/want to cancel and you wanted to add someone to be the other person in the cabin. You can also do this without penalty, or fee, as long as it's before final payment. After final payment, the fee is $50 to change the name of someone on the booking.

.....however, if they need the triple/quad cabins, Princess reserves the right to move you to the same category cabin that is not outfitted as a triple/quad and they sometimes exercise that option. Read your passenger contract.

Current Booking

My Questions:

I think I understand:

If Pax #1 gets upset with Pax #2 and drops Pax #2 on his/her head and Pax #3 gets involved and for some unknown reason slaps Pax #4 and causes Pax #4 to cry, and Princess observes the whole incident, then Princess may opt to knock Pax #1, Pax #2, Pax #3, and Pax #4 off the ship at the first port of call. Therefore, yes, the cabin, deposit, booking, and dignity would all be lost.:D

(Actually, I understand exactly what you are asking and it has been answered correctly in earlier posts)

The only problem I see with all of this is that often, when 3 or 4 adults plan to share a cabin, they split the entire cost 4 ways. This actually makes more sense than for #1 and #2 to pay the full rate, and #3 and #4 to pay much less. Do the remaining passengers realize it may be costing them more than they had originally planned?? If not, now is the time to tell them!

The only problem I see with all of this is that often, when 3 or 4 adults plan to share a cabin, they split the entire cost 4 ways. This actually makes more sense than for #1 and #2 to pay the full rate, and #3 and #4 to pay much less. Do the remaining passengers realize it may be costing them more than they had originally planned?? If not, now is the time to tell them!

Yes, they are all aware of the per-head price increase. I told them when the booking was first made that, should any of their cabin buddies decide to drop out, each remaining person would have to pay more to stay in the same category room. All understood, but it may never hurt to remind them by forwarding a copy of my e-mail telling them about this seven months ago.

Arranging for a group is fun, and I am sure that the voyage is going to be funner. But a group leader can get busy at times! :p

.....however, if they need the triple/quad cabins, Princess reserves the right to move you to the same category cabin that is not outfitted as a triple/quad and they sometimes exercise that option. Read your passenger contract.

A good point. We have a bunch of AD rooms on Emerald booked on the Sappaphire, and those E-minis are all either triple-able or quad-able. We also have a no-upgrade flag on all the bookings. Ultimately, Princess does have the final say, but we are not that concerned about their moving us. If a quad-turned-double has to move to a different cabin somewhere, I'm sure that this twosome will still have fun all the same.

They're very unlikely to move you from an AD mini-suite. The concern comes in if you've booked an oceanview or inside cabin rated for 3 or 4 people. The mini isn't a going to be a problem. You've got great cabins, BTW. :)

Archived