when should I book

Tulsa Cats

My husband and I will be on the Coral Princess May 19 Whittier to Vancouver. We've looked at the tour options and are thinking of waiting until we dock to book a tour on land. Is that crazy ? We're concerned about the weather so want to wait, but if there's something we need to book in advance, please tell me. I don't mind being told I'm silly.:eek:

thanks

My husband and I will be on the Coral Princess May 19 Whittier to Vancouver. We've looked at the tour options and are thinking of waiting until we dock to book a tour on land. Is that crazy ? We're concerned about the weather so want to wait, but if there's something we need to book in advance, please tell me. I don't mind being told I'm silly.:eek:

thanks

If we had not booked our ship excursions (Diamond Princess) online, ahead of time, they would have been unavailable (filled) when we boarded the ship. We saw several folks who wanted to do the Misty Fjords floatplane walk away from the excursion desk upon learning that all times were booked.

The internet is a wonderful and popular tool, and many cruisers have learned to use it to book ahead.

Princess allows you to reserve but does not charge you for the excursion until after you have taken it. The Princess excursion page also sets out the rules for cancellations.

Otoh, there are online private operators as well as tour kiosks on the dock that may offer better opportunities if you want to wait to check that out. I remember them in both Ketchikan and Juneau.

thanks

The one excursion people say you should book ahead for sure is a floatplane in Ketchikan. People on these boards say that those are typically fully booked and not available when you get there.

I talked to a tour company in Juneau and they told me whale watches are usually available day of arrival. However, if you want one of the more popular vendors that get great press on this board, you may want to book early.

You are coming before prime season, so maybe it is easier. However, vendors may also run fewer outings in May. Hard call.

After reading the recommendations on this board, we booked all of the cruise port excursions. We booked one through the ship and the rest independently. If everything is in place before you get there, you won't be wasting precious time figuring out a plan. You are only in port for a limited time. You really don't want to waste a lot of it making decisions. So, if there is something you would be really disappointed if you didn't get to do, then I would be sure to book that.

For our land trip, we left a few excursions unbooked. They are things that if we miss, I won't be heartbroken. We want to wait and see what our energy level will be at the time.

Happy planning!

I think it's a big mistake to wait until off the ship and in port before deciding what you are going to do. I strongly advise people to have ALL plans and needed reservations in place before you go, including those "wing it" plans.

IF you wait until at the dock, be prepared for wasting time, having a very limited selection of tours available and not likely at convenient times.

Determine how you wish to spend your time??? You are far better off being well prepared in your attire and knowing what you are going to do, IF touring is of interest.

My TA called last week to tell me that the prices of excursions from the Mariner were going up. No worries, I have already booked everything (only 1 ship excursion to Tracy Arm), so I saved a few dollars planning ahead. We have reservations for everything we want to do in each port. I also have options, things to see, transportation, etc listed out for an hour or two here and there so that we don't have to spend valuable Alaska time figuring things out. If the weather doesn't agree with us, we will have rain gear! All the operators I booked tours with have refund policies. I'm trying to plan for 6 of us and can't imagine trying to do anything without planning ahead. I also didn't book us solidly so we have a little time to just wing it if something pops up. Actually, I've enjoyed all the planning and know a lot more about the ports than I did before I started.

Archived