refrig meds

Great thread, and thanks for the tip ‘madforcrusing’. I give myself weekly injections that must be kept refrigerated, so I will definitely send an e-mail to the special needs department to let them know.

We use a TA and they called RCCL and made all the arrangements for us. We were put on hold while the call was made and everything was taken care of right then. I always travel with a small refrigerator thermometer, that way I know whether the meds are kept at the right temperature.

we were on the Enchantment last week (deck 3) and there WAS a medical fridge in the hallway not yet cleared from the previous cruise right when we boarded... plus, the infirmary on Deck 1 was pretty much always open and I am sure that they will be happy to help you... Best of Luck!

My husband uses Enbrel and it is quite expensive. It also needs to be refrigerated. We have requested RCI to empty the cooler in our cabin so that we can put our lunch pak type carrier in there. We have requested this on 4 RCI cruises. (3 Mariner, 1 Radiance.) We also need a sharps container.

The first time I requested the cooler be emptied and we needed a sharps container, I was made to feel like an idiot because I was told by special needs, if you are using an injectable med, of course we would give you a sharps container. I said, sorry, didn't know if you knew what the med was.

No empty fridge, no sharps container. Next time, same thing. Next time, same thing--but cabin steward told me I had to get permission from head housekeeper for the sharps container. Evidently, he got it because that night there was a sharps container.

On Radiance, our cabin steward was wonderful. When I talked to her, she emptied refrig and then got us the sharps container.

I am waiting to see what will happen this next time when we go on Mariner. I have asked why do I need to tell special needs of our problem when in fact nothing is done? Still awaiting an answer.

Just to mention something else, I have asked in the past about a low-sodium diet which RCI states is available. Special needs answered that one with ask your waiter and he will tell you the foods that are lower sodium. Big help, huh?

My point is that you might need to ask once onboard for things you have been assured previously will happen. They can happen with perseverance, so please be ready to insist on what you need.

I just wanted to mention at the end of my tirade, that we normally stay in a JS and are Diamond Plus, so it doesn't matter where you stay or what status you are in the C&A. Things happen to all of us.

We were brought a special refrigerator. I'm not sure the regular refrigerators in the cabins would be cool enough, if you think you are going to use the cabin refrigerator bring along a thermometer. Also someone came by on the last morning of the cruise to collect the sharps containers, I guess they want to make sure they are accounted for and don't end up with the trash.

i also travel with my son. his insulin needs to be kept cold. never a problem. if we don't have a refrig. in our room they said we could keep it in the infirm. or the pursers desk had a refrig. was never a probl. getting a sharps. container. our cabin steward had one for us within 5 min. last time we cruised he stayed in a different cabin from us and he left his package of syringes in our cabin when we came back from dinner we had a sharps container in our cabin also! carnival and RCL has always been very helpful with and special needs we had.

Good Luck

Also, we were asked to bring a letter from doctor stating meds and why taking them. For those of you doing pre and/or post cruise activities, you might want to make sure you either take a sharps container and mini frig with you, or call ahead and make sure these items will be available in hotel rooms.:)

This letter from doc has come in handy at the airport, as well.

On our last cruise on the Sovereign of the seas, one in our party is diabetic. we contacted the special needs department and they instructed us to fax a note with a doctors statement verifying she is diabetic and needs insulin refrigerated, along with a copy of her prescription. they then placed a small fridge in her room for the cruise. No problems. i wish she was cruising with me this time, that came in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my trip on the Enchantment of the Sea. No refrig in the room. We brought our travel plug in cooler. Don't tell my husband or son, but one night I took the pen out to get some water from the bottom of the cooler and forgot to put the pen back in so it sat out all night. I could have shot myself in the morning. All the effort to take the cool, the stress of carrying the thing on board ship was all wasted by my carelessness. I would take the cooler again. I did not need to request anything.

My husband is a Type 1 diabetic. We sailed the Vision of the Seas in November. Because our cabin didn't have a fridge, our TA requested one from RCI. They also provided a disposal container for his sharps. He did have to get a letter from his doctor which was faxed directly to RCI. Ask your TA or call RCI to get all the information you need to take care of this. Even if your cabin already has a fridge, the sharps disposal container was handy. Of course, an insulin vial is very small so we had lots of room to chill the Pepsi and bottled water we brought along.:)

Back from my trip on the Enchantment of the Sea. No refrig in the room. [...] All the effort to take the cool, the stress of carrying the thing on board ship was all wasted by my carelessness. I would take the cooler again. I did not need to request anything.

You don't need to go through the effort and stress to bring the cooler - just tell the Access Desk (special needs desk) before your cruise that you need a medical fridge in your room. (They will most likely send you a form to fax back where you just need to circle/mark that you need a med fridge.) If they mess up and it isn't in the room when you arrive (like what happened to me with all my accommodations despite my double-checking), just ask your stateroom attendant for it, telling him you did request one in advance. It'll be in your room soon after that. Ask the Access Desk (same form) for the Sharps container, too.

I have a travel-sized fridge, but I'd never go through the trouble of bringing it onto a cruise (or plane).

You don't need to go through the effort and stress to bring the cooler - just tell the Access Desk (special needs desk) before your cruise that you need a medical fridge in your room. (They will most likely send you a form to fax back where you just need to circle/mark that you need a med fridge.) If they mess up and it isn't in the room when you arrive (like what happened to me with all my accommodations despite my double-checking), just ask your stateroom attendant for it, telling him you did request one in advance. It'll be in your room soon after that. Ask the Access Desk (same form) for the Sharps container, too.

I have a travel-sized fridge, but I'd never go through the trouble of bringing it onto a cruise (or plane).

What to do though if you get there and they are all out?

It happened to us that no refrigerators were available (after requesting months ahead). We used the less desirable method of putting it on ice. I had to throw out a bottle of Lantus (backup to insulin pump) as I could not be comfortable that it had stayed cool enough over the course of our vacation.

Once again, go to guest services immediately after boarding to be sure they have your refrigerator request. On our second cruise they didn't have our request noted but were able to secure one for us.

Kathy j

It happened to us that no refrigerators were available (after requesting months ahead). We used the less desirable method of putting it on ice. I had to throw out a bottle of Lantus (backup to insulin pump) as I could not be comfortable that it had stayed cool enough over the course of our vacation.

Once again, go to guest services immediately after boarding to be sure they have your refrigerator request. On our second cruise they didn't have our request noted but were able to secure one for us.

Again, it has been my experience that the ship's infirmary is more than happy to store your meds, a well. This might not work if you need frequent access, but in the case of a weekly injection or a backup drug, it's perfect. ~ Peri

sorry but there is no way i am trusting my meds to the ships doc.

plus i am not dragging my 10 year old to the doc for his shots.

Oh hon, don't be sorry! The information may not be appropriate for you, but surely it might help someone else... ~ Peri

Archived