Venice Port question

lahore

OK, so I have debunked to HAL and my next cruise is with them, but people here have become friends and also Oceania pax are well travelled, so I am going to ask here as well.

I wanted to know where the ship docks in Venice, and got this very efficient and wonderful response from HAL:

The ship will be docked at the Stazione Marittima which is located just southwest of the end of the Ponte Della Liberta (The bridge which connects Venice to mainland Italy). The pier is within walking distance from the Piazzale Roma.

My question is, have others docked there, how far out of town is it, easy access to water and/or land taxis, any other port related advice? I will certainly look it up in the LP guide, but I haven't been to Venice before and I know someone here will have a useful experience/tip. thanks, Lyn

When we were there last Oct there was a transfer bus (probably run by Port Authority as Oceania do not provide shuttle buses ) this took us right into the Plaza where you can get buses /water taxis etc

You can buy a 24 hour ticket for about $8 and you can even use it for the bus transfer to the airport which is extremely efficient

It would take about 10 mins at most to walk from the dock across the bridge and into the Plaza

Hi Lahore. I don't know if this helps but this is the web site for the venice Port. In the bottom right you can click and download the map.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci01.jsp?m=1

Also, this Venice limo site has great maps of the pier.

http://www.venice-limousine.com/venice_limousine_articles.html

You can catch water taxis right at the ship, but they cost a lot.

You can catch a land taxi, but only if you want to head to the mainland.

We did the ~10 minute walk which gets you to a vaporetto stop, from where you can go anywhere for cheap

This all depends on whether you have luggage with you. If this is not a first or final port, yes you can hike a little and then take a vaporetto down the Grand Canal. If this is a first or final port, a land taxi can be used between the port and the airport. If you are coming from or going to a hotel in Venice, spend the extra money for a private water taxi. You do not want to drag luggage onto a crowded vaporetto or up and down the little bridges all over Venice.

Thanks everyone, this information is just perfect. We have a three day stop over in Venice on the ship (it's a back to back), and then it also ends in Venice, so I needed all that info.

Don't know if this info. will help you or not.

Sounds as tho you'll have days in Venice but staying on the ship?,

it's not a bad walk to the terminal where you can get the water

buses/taxi's, etc.

We were there last Oct. and thru CC we found a hotel by the

airport "Courtyard Marriott" as the roads are 2 lanes 1 leaving

the city, one going into the city. We were able to reserve a

van to take us to the ships terminal day of departure and the

prices they had were good. Somestimes you can find a group

and the price will be cheaper. On day of departure you can

usually hook up with others going to the airport. If your

staying in town you'll need to haul your luggage. We felt that

it's a big hassle to haul the luggage and therefore chose to stay

at the Marriott (they have a pick up/ drop off van to the airport).

For us it was easier to do it this way. We saw many who looked

tired/lost in trying to find their hotels. If your under 40 it may

be OK but if your over why struggle with all the bags even if its

2 ck ins and 2 backpacks for the 2 of us.

Sailing into the port of Venice you will pass by St. Mark's square

it's a beautiful site. We sailed by it as we left the port, and the

Grand Canal, Bridge of Sighs. You really want to be on the

upper decks to see the great views of Venice.

Enjoy Venice.

I've been doing some research as we're going there soon.

There is a large cruise terminal near the Piazzale Roma, where most of the big ships dock, but also another small one called San Basilio some way away on the river/estuary? (not sure which it is)

I checked and on our voyage Insignia will be docking at San Basilio. Check your location here: http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociere.jsp?m=2

I still feel ripped off from the last time I used a water taxi in Venice, so I will avoid them at all costs!

We'll get the three Euro blue bus from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma, and then the no. 82 vaporetto (water bus) from P. Roma to San Basilio to board Insignia. A 24 hour travel card for the vaporettos is sixteen Euros. Pick up a ticket at the airport:

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazione.php?pagina=tariffe_vaporetto

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/route-82.html

Embarked in Venice when Oceania was Renaissance. After flying all night, arriving and being put on a boat for a tour, then being taken to the ship by boat, we signed up for the evening Gondola ride. So we were taken by Renaissance to the mainland in the evening (still no sleep for well over 24 hrs), enjoyed our gondola ride and decided to stay and enjoy the lovely evening in Venice .. well around midnight, we could see the ship but we could not get to it ... here was water, railroad tracks, dead ends .. so close but so far ... good luck, hope you fare better than we did! we tried the water bus and went back and forth twice! But you know what? It was worth it .. in St. Mark's Square there were formal orchestras playing and I drank chianti and felt as though I was in the middle of a movie!

well around midnight, we could see the ship but we could not get to it ... here was water, railroad tracks, dead ends .. so close but so far ... good luck, hope you fare better than we did! we tried the water bus and went back and forth twice!

You were evidently moored in the main cruise dock. If you key "Venice" into Google Earth you will see where you were, what with all the train lines and canals.

San Basilio seems much more convenient, with a vaporetto stop direct to St. Marks right next door.

• 1 year later...
You can catch water taxis right at the ship, but they cost a lot.

You can catch a land taxi, but only if you want to head to the mainland.

We did the ~10 minute walk which gets you to a vaporetto stop, from where you can go anywhere for cheap

shemp2000 - We will disembark the Grand Princess at Venice Marittima Dock. We have reserved a water taxi from the ship to our hotel. What is the procedure for picking up luggage and getting to the water taxi arrival/departure area (Veneziana Motoscafi Box)? From a port map it looks like you first go to the Passenger Terminal (building 103) - claim your luggage and then go directly with luggage to the Water Taxi arrival/departure area located directly in front of the Passenger Terminal. Do I have this right? Is there anything I should be aware of that will help make the ship to water taxi process go easier.

Thanks for your help. SeaFish

I can only speak from experiance at Staz Maritima. Was there two weeks ago.

There is a water bus stop beside the port. (I think they have it there for the cruise ships).

It goes to St Marks.

If you want to walk to or from P. Roma you will be going for a "walk". Personally I would not do it with luggage. I did walk it without luggage on a hot day, and it was about 20 min. There is a slight hill and there is traffic. I also took a land taxi to and from ship for a total of 7E. each way.

The port terminal is very simple both embarkation and debarking. Taxi's sit outside the building. I never saw the mysterious shuttle in 2 days.

San Basilio terminal is around the corner of Maritima, and from what I observed it does actually look easier than Maritima for getting to P Roma. I also believe that cars can get there too.

We prepurchased online the Venice Connect card. Once you find the building to get your cards it is very easy. (finding the building was not!)

We took a private water taxi one night from St Marks back to the Port and it was 80E.

But where do you check in prior to embarkation? Does Oceania have something set up near the ship or is there a small terminal at San Basilio that is used?

We boarded the Isignia last spring at San Basilio. There is a small terminal building there.

At the terminal, they do the x-ray and check your papers. Then we exited the terminal and there was a coach waiting that drove pax to the ship to embark and check in. The next day (it was an overnight), we had to walk from ship to terminal and back to the ship. It was about a (leisurely) 5-10 minute walk from ship to terminal. If you're staying overnight, I'd recommend walking from San Basilio along the harbour (perhaps to St. Marks) at least in one direction. It's a nice walk.

We are on the same cruise as you and are staying at Locanda Orseolo. Arriving 1 Nov. The Locanda comes very highly recommended. Check out trip advisor dot com but there are many places in Venice that would be great.

Jill

jamesm: Strongly encourage you to inquire and book if La Calcina interests you....has many return guests and is so reasonably priced that it does book out. We booked 9 months in advance for our March visit in 2006. You will like La Calcina, I promise!

vaitape: Thanks for the suggestion and I am working on booking right now. We're flying in to Venice from London. Can you tell me how complicated it is to get to the hotel from the airport with typical luggage?

jamesm: In a nutshell VERY SIMPLE!

Long Version: I was concerned about our transfer from airport to hotel. Was unable to arrange before we departed but besides that, had sticker shock with the cost=$100!!! Friends told us to just consider the transfer part of the thrill of going to Venice and that turned out to be great advice!

Well, after a very long day of flying (LAX-SFO-Frankfurt-Venice), we walked out of Customs Hall over to the very obvious transport kiosk, spoke with a very helpful person there to get ourselves organized (paid $20 less than if we had booked over the internet) and walked down the covered walkway to the water taxi dock. It was a bit of a walk but had no problems with our wheeled bags (actually felt good to be outside after what seemed like a lifetime of planes and airports).

At the dock, a person took our bags and put them in a boat that looked like something Grace Kelly or Sophie Loren would have been transported in.....seriously! The wood was beautiful and in boat was in pristine condition.

Felt like we were in Disneyland.....very very cool! Past the islands of Murano, etc, down the Grand Canal, under the Bridge of Sighs, past landmarks, and down some narrow canals and about 30 minutes later, we pulled up to La Calcina. Fabulous experience....and that was just the transfer!!

Archived