Is Cruisecal.com no longer a free website?

Apalmetto

For some time I have used Cruisecal dot com to locate which ships would be in port on any given day. Today, when I tried to access that site, it indicated that I was attempting to access a site that is restricted to members only. Membership is $49.99. When did this change occur? Is there another free website?

Palmetto

I guess the guy who runs that website doesn't know much about cruisers - we don't pay for information we can get free!

I remember a thread long ago where someone was recommending that cruisecal site, and I found the informtaion there was out of date - the cruise line had made some itinerary changes and the site showed the old data.

On our next cruise, we sail from Charleston to Bermuda. Both ports publish a detailed, easy to use calendar showing all ships for the whole year. And of course it is free.

Maybe the cruisecal dude thinks he can sell the site to travel agents or something. Good luck!

Maybe I should create a free site to show that same data that cruisecal wants to charge for - the site could easily be supported with advertising!

It happened today, because yesterday I was looking for some info. I think if he had done it yesterday, everybody would have think that it was an April 1 joke. But Usd 50 is too much. Thanks god I got all my informations for my next 5 cruises anyway.And it's not really up to date either. Was showing that the N.Jewel was Monday both in St.thomas and Antigua.

Maybe I should create a free site to show that same data that cruisecal wants to charge for - the site could easily be supported with advertising!

Please do! We lived on that site the weeks leading up to our cruise.

Please do! We lived on that site the weeks leading up to our cruise.

What was there that made it interesting, besides the calendar?

To me, once you've seen a calendar, it's really not interesting anymore, because it does not change.

These boards on the other hand are always changing, and they are free!

i agree that it's not always up to date. they still have the Caribbean Princess in drydock the week I'm sailing on her. This change has been announced since at least January. :eek: I will not be paying $50 to join. if it was some small nominal fee -- MAYBE...

I do enjoy the calendar. And I think it does change a bit, like in my example. I think it would be great if you started up your own site! ;) Teach him a lesson! You're right! We cruisers don't pay for what we can get for free!! :)

What was there that made it interesting, besides the calendar?

To me, once you've seen a calendar, it's really not interesting anymore, because it does not change.

These boards on the other hand are always changing, and they are free!

I enjoyed having one spot to go to check any port or ship cam I wanted to as I worried about the weather. I can't tell you what my sister was doing on there, but she was there even more than me - probably exploring. And she kept thanking me for turning her on to it. :) Don't get me wrong, I lived HERE too!

For some time I have used Cruisecal dot com to locate which ships would be in port on any given day. Today, when I tried to access that site, it indicated that I was attempting to access a site that is restricted to members only. Membership is $49.99. When did this change occur? Is there another free website?

Palmetto

Here are 2 sites I go to that are interesting. One is for the NY Port and the other is a ship tracker where you can actually get the exact points where any ship is in the world. Pretty cool.

http://www.nycruise.com/sched_2008.html

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml

Enjoy and Happy Cruising!

I got on their site this AM & couldn't believe my eyes. I thought my computer cookies were messed up or something. I won't be paying for that info even though it was fun & informative ... especially not the price they're asking.

I noticed the site is full of advertising, too. Usually, advertising supported sites are free. Either you pay and see no ads, or it's free and you see ads (like here.)

Cruisecal dude hasn't got the web thing figured out yet! :)

I liked the site because NCL doesn't tell you where their ships are when you look at the webcams. I could look at a webcam and then go to cruisecal and find out where the ship was docked. I wish NCL would post locations on their webcam, like they do the date and time.

Wow, this is news. I was just on their website yesterday. I love using their website to out which ships are where. I wonder how many subscribers they will actually get.. I will miss their website. I also used it to look at the port cameras..

Apparently someone got the attention at Cruisecal. Today they have the new pricing structure on their website. You can join monthly now.

New Pricing Structure!!!! –

Due to overwhelming response we have a new pricing structure

- A Month to Month subscription is $3 per month.

- A Yearly subscription is $24.99

- A 2 Year subscription is $49.98

These subscriptions automatically renewed but can be cancelled at any time.

Apparently someone got the attention at Cruisecal. Today they have the new pricing structure on their website. You can join monthly now.

New Pricing Structure!!!! –

Due to overwhelming response we have a new pricing structure

- A Month to Month subscription is $3 per month.

- A Yearly subscription is $24.99

- A 2 Year subscription is $49.98

These subscriptions automatically renewed but can be cancelled at any time.

MUCH more reasonable. But I'm still too cheap to pay for the info. I'm sure others will, though.

Archived