Pacific Weather

lovecruzin

We are taking our first HAL cruise on Zaandam from San Diego to Vancouver later this month and I have no idea what type of weather to plan (pack) for... I've never had this dilemma before since we have always cruised Caribbean or Bermuda! Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of weather and Seas, rough/calm....

Since I am from California I feel like I should know the answer but, thought I would ask the experts here on CC.

Thanks.

You don't say where you are from in California - could be Death Valley, could be the top of Mt. Shasta! Pretty different climates...

Expect cool weather, some fog and maybe some rain as you get further north. The days could get to the low 70's, but more likely mid 60's with nights in the low to mid 50's.

Seas should be mild this time of year, but you never know...

I think Dave has it right. You just never know.

We took a repo from SD to Vancouver in early May. We had such rough seas, HAL took the water out of the atrium fountain.

Of course, the weather has been alot warmer these past few years.

Pat

I'm also going on a re-positioning cruise later this month, but on the Volendam. I live in the Pacific Northwest. Here's my counsel: be prepared for anything. If I can get away with it (not likely) I'll have shorts and sandals. At the opposite extreme, a knit hat, rain gear, and gloves. If you use the layered strategy, you'll be prepared for everything in between.

On the morning and early afternoon of the 3rd day of your cruise, you'll definitely want to be outside, enjoying the passage throught the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the views of the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island.

There's a saying here in the northwest: If you don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes. Especially this time of year.

Marc

Archived