Tipping on Private Port Tours

Per the advice of many of this forum, I have booked private tours in Rome, Florence, Greece, and Turkey. Can you advise me as to what is the appropriate tip to give the driver/guide at the end of the day after one of this tours? In addition, what is the appropriate tip for a site specific guide such as a the Vatican or Pompeii.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Since I'm new to all of this, I was wondering if it is a good idea to tip your cabin stweard right at the beginning of the cruise to ensure better service?

A 20 spot at the start has always ensured great service for us! ;)

Since I'm new to all of this, I was wondering if it is a good idea to tip your cabin stweard right at the beginning of the cruise to ensure better service?

I have never tip in advance but always have received good service.

There was a thread a while ago on the topic

Per the advice of many of this forum, I have booked private tours in Rome, Florence, Greece, and Turkey. Can you advise me as to what is the appropriate tip to give the driver/guide at the end of the day after one of this tours? In addition, what is the appropriate tip for a site specific guide such as a the Vatican or Pompeii.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

we usually tip 10% of the tour cost but would be interested also in what others tip

If i'm doing a tour through the boat..do i tip them?

The guides and bus drivers on the ship tours probably appreciate tips more than private tour guides, since they are employees and don't own their own companies. Due to the large number of people on a ship bus tour and the inflated price, we don't use the 10% guideline.

Another opportunity to post a link to the famous tipping thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=617195 This thread should give you a better idea of the customs on tipping in Europe. Guidebooks, such as Rick Steves, also explain how to tip in Europe.

Have a great cruise.

If you are on a European cruise line they do not expect tips as Europeans (typically) do not tip.

(Huh-oh...now I've gone and done it....)

Hi Lambs,

Thats for sure! You have gone and done it! Anyway, as you know by now I am trying to recup my $151 LOL;) But seriously, I know we will have great private tour drivers and I am getting site specific guides at the Vatican and Pompeii ( I cut out site specific at the Coliesieum) So every time my gang does a private tour we are talking about 550 to 600E. That would be close to $100 in tips. Now that is not what we would do here. At home we would probably at most hand over $50 and be very comfortable with that. So as they really don't expect tips from tourists ( unless said tourist is from the USA, of course;) ) I think that unless I am drunk or completely mesmerized, that $50 per private tour is OK and the site guides are costing me 120E, so maybe 10 or 15E for them. Do they really have a a steep overhead? I know they must kick up/back but I am good with 10 or 15E. Now, when it comes to the great Stefano of Rome Cabs...........:eek:

If you are on a European cruise line they do not expect tips as Europeans (typically) do not tip.

(Huh-oh...now I've gone and done it....)

I am sorry but I can not agree, where ever we have a meal in the UK we tip irrespective and the same goes for every holiday we have had in many other European Countries.

Archived