A 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from adults now?

I am missing something. (It happens a lot lately.:)) Why is having a child across the hall from you a problem?

It is not a problem *if* there is someone over 20 yrs old booked into that cabin... However, as a single parent, you can't book yourself into two cabins...

Looks like you are looking at a suite..............

It is not a problem *if* there is someone over 20 yrs old booked into that cabin... However, as a single parent, you can't book yourself into two cabins...

Looks like you are looking at a suite..............

But a single parent can still book their kids into the cabin across the hall or the cabin next door.

The issue for the OP is that the cabin across the hall is not available.

Just for the record, here's what RCI's website says (as of just now):

"No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required). Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation."

I guess directly across the hall counts as "adjacent."

Sounds like a good plan to me. If a guest is under the age to book for themselves and the adult is being held responsible then they should be close by and I agree with across the hall. Good going RCI. Glad to see that they are clamping down on this.

I think its a good policy too. Perhaps the change is due to the recent events on NCL :eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=743107

###

Just heard from my TA- He said it's not true. He just booked kids 5 doors down from parents yesterday. I think my kids are atleast 4 doors down in an inside cabin.:confused:

We have the same TA, Jen. Just got that message, too. ;) :)

(did you write to him and ask? I did, and linked to this thread, so he saw the posted details, and he STILL says that he had no problem booking 13-18 year old kids 5 cabins down the hall from parents)

Royal's rule is at least one person booked in the cabin has to be at least 21. Other lines have placed that number as high as 25 unless the young couple could prove they were married.

I think it's to keep wild hordes of college spring-breakers at bay. Can you imagine having a ship overrun with 18-20 year olds, packed 4 to a room to save money?

I guess I didn't think of it that way. Makes sense though!

Royal's rule is at least one person booked in the cabin has to be at least 21. Other lines have placed that number as high as 25 unless the young couple could prove they were married.

I think it's to keep wild hordes of college spring-breakers at bay. Can you imagine having a ship overrun with 18-20 year olds, packed 4 to a room to save money?

That is why my son, who will turn 21 next March, is planning a cruise with his friends for spring break 2009. :)

By the way, they don't mature all that much from 20 to 21. :rolleyes:

(he did say that they are going to look at Carnival first, since the rumor is that they are cheaper. :D ....and he's the only one with RC status)

That is really funny since I always booked my minor kids, now 11 and 13 across or diagnally away from us with no problem. Then for another cruise we decided to save some money and I gave up the balcony cabin we were in and took a inside which is 5 cabins away from the kids, who will be 12 and almost 14 at the time of sailing. I was shocked when they told me I can do that. When I questioned it they said the kids just have to be in the same quadrant as the parents. So I thought, go for it and try it out. I rarely go into the cabin to check on them anyways.... but they are always coming into ours to check on US>.... Maybe being a few cabins down from them will stop that..... Rules are always changing it seems depending on whom you talk to.

I have heard more noise coming from cabins occupied by adults than from cabins occupied by minors.

(of course, as a mother, I know that the time to worry is NOT when they are making noise.......it's when the noise stops. :D :rolleyes:)

To the OP: Could you try to talk to RCI and see WHO is across the hall from you? What if that party would be willing to move? Wouldn't hurt to ask. I would hope that the line would be working with you to try to book you 2 rooms that are in accord with their new policy. (ora re they so full they don't care if they lose you as a customer?) PLease let us know how it turns out.

Do they really think having them across from you as opposed to a couple of doors down is really going to make a difference:confused:? Do they make you put a bell on the door too so you know if they are leaving. H-E-L-L-O Jeesh. I agree that parents should have more control of their children, but how this is supposed to help I don't get it. Sorry for your dilemma.

i don't think i could deal with adult kids in our room, just too crowded, but mine are a little older than 19 and i would rather have them next door or across the hall. they aren't wild or partiers (is that a word?) but I do kind of like not having to search the whole ship when we want to make plans with them or just hang out togehter for a little while. they also like to share our balcony (they usually have an inside room, since I am paying for them too).

Beverly

Archived