Cruising in October in the Caribbean

EBallgrl

I have a family cruise planned for this October and I am a little nervous about the time of year (weather-wise). We are going to the Western Caribbean. If anyone has cruised here before in October, could you please share your weather experiences? Good or bad! Thanks! :D

Welcome to CC! Seeing that you live in Myrtle Beach, you know exactly what can happen in Oct. weather wise. You will read here of people with nice weather, others that had to have their itinerary adjusted to avoid bad storms. You just take the chance with Mother Nature. Prices are considerably lower because of the CHANCE of clouds and rain. We can't tell you when the storms will hit. The Captain will never put the ship's pax in danger, so you won't have to worry about that. Remember tho, the rain will be warm! ;)

cruised twice in october, last one to the western. weather was great on both. first was early oct and was actually still very hot. in the 90's. last year to the western was around low 80's. mostly sunny on both, and no rough seas.

cruised twice in october, last one to the western. weather was great on both. first was early oct and was actually still very hot. in the 90's. last year to the western was around low 80's. mostly sunny on both, and no rough seas.

Thanks! I know weather is unpredictable...but it just makes me feel better to hear good stories :rolleyes:

We have spent about 40 days total cruising in various parts of the Caribbean (Eastern, Western and Southern) in late Spetember through early November.

We have experienced one extremely rough sea day and have never had a change of itinerary. We've been lucky, I think, but we've also never worried about it. We have great confidence in the Cruise Lines (and the ship Captains). They all want to make our cruises as pleasurable as possible and we know that safety is always their most important focus.

As eandj stated, it's going to rain. But that rain is part of what makes those islands so beautiful. Wear rain gear or carry an umbrella....or just get wet in the warm rain.

If you're concerned about motion sickness, there are many wonderful approaches. I take Meclizine and my wife uses Sea Bands. I've been seasick once, under exceptional circumstances. While in the North Atlantic, our ship ran into extremely heavy seas and gale force winds immediately after one of NCL's famed (and truly decadent) chocolate buffets. Not good timing...lol.

Relax...enjoy...

You just never know. It's more likely that there will be bad weather that time of year....afterall, it is hurricane season.

However, the one October cruise I had was wonderful weather. Just finished a cruise on March 22 and it was the roughest seas I've ever experienced. Not horrible but 15 to 20 foot waves and high winds on a couple days which made walking extremely difficult. And quite a few "green" people around. We even had to skip one port due to rough seas and all water excursions were cancelled at another port due to the roughness.

You just never know.

From your location you should be use to hurricane season just like I am. Hurricanes here on the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida coast usually form during late August and September. It is very rare to see a hurricane in October. You should have beautiful weather. Enjoy your cruise.

I have a family cruise planned for this October and I am a little nervous about the time of year (weather-wise). We are going to the Western Caribbean. If anyone has cruised here before in October, could you please share your weather experiences? Good or bad! Thanks! :D

Hey neighbor:) , we have a condo in Pawleys Island! We have cruised in the fall & not had a problem. The ships are pretty good at getting out of the way, but you know how fall can be. Be sure to take seasickness tabs just in case.

Jan

Thanks! I know weather is unpredictable...but it just makes me feel better to hear good stories :rolleyes:
Hi there, it's nice to see another South Carolinian on this board. Welcome. We have taken three October cruises to the caribbean. I believe it was our first one and we missed two or three ports because of previous hurricane damage. The Captain will not put any passenger or his ship in harm's way. We like to cruise then because the prices are lower. If there's a problem with a storm, they will sail away from it. There were times when we didn't even know anything was brewing. Personally, I would go for it. In fact, I am looking at October cruises now and trying to decide where I want to go.

Go and have fun. I wouldn't worry about it.:)

Hey neighbor:) , we have a condo in Pawleys Island! We have cruised in the fall & not had a problem. The ships are pretty good at getting out of the way, but you know how fall can be. Be sure to take seasickness tabs just in case.

Jan

Hi Jan, I just wanted to say hello. I can't believe you have a condo at Pawleys. My brother-in-law lives there and my sister in Myrtle Beach. Pawleys is such a beautiful beach; I love it there. That's all -- just hello.

Jody

We have often taken cruises in the fall and we have lucked out I guess. usually though, late August to the end of Septemtber is the worst hurricanes times. Hey we crusied between Frances and Jeanne in 04 and actually got our whole crusie. We were one of the few tha trmonth-so many crusies were either cancelled or shortened.

Huricane season goes from June 1 to November 30-so you could be hit with a hurricane in other months and heck, we had a bad winter storm during a February cruise. So not cruising during the hurricane months is no guarantee you will have "smooth sailing".

One thing too, the crusielines will not compromise your safety. They will cancel the cruise (and refund you) if it is too dangerous or they will change the ports and skirt the hurricanes.

I know friends of mine that were to crusie the week after me in 04, Jeanne delayed their cruise a few days. They received 4 days of their 7 day cruise and were refunded a little over half of what they had paid plus was given a certicate for half off a future cruise.

• 7 years later...

I don't want to be a downer but I had booked my wedding in mid October on Cayman Island. It was just my fiancé and me and I knew there was a possibility that the tender boat could not get to the island but I took a chance. As it turned out, we were married the next month in the Smoky Mountains. LOL

Unless there IS a hurricane, the weather is no different than ANY time of the year...."hurricane season" only means that conditions are warm enough for storms to form...if they don't form, it's because the weather conditions are good for travelers!!!