Princess VS. Norwegian

cmalibu1

Has anyone on these boards travelled both lines? If so, could you possibly make a comparison between the two? Just overall (on the newer ships - I know the old norwegian ones arent really worth traveling) with activities, entertainment, food, rooms (balcony/mini suites), other people on board ect...

Thanks!

I have sailed twice on Norwegian (Norway and Pearl) and twice on Princess (Star and Crown). I am happy with both cruise lines ... not much to say in terms of negatives. Here are my choices for the areas you're interested in:

Entertainment: Princess -Due to choice. It seemed there were more evening shows to choose from (i.e., if the production show didn't look interesting you could go to the comedian).

Dining room food: Princess - I am not a choosy eater, and I certainly enjoyed the food on the Norwegian lines. I found that the preparation and presentation were (only slightly) better on Princess.

Buffet food: Norwegian - Better selection, better layout to minimize traffic and lines. Plus they have the midnight chocolate buffet!

Rooms: Tie - We have only had inside or ocean-view rooms, and not much differences between them. Can't comment on the balcony rooms or suites.

Activities: Tie - We have not noticed a huge difference in terms of activities offered. I think Norwegian does a better job of making you feel "included" as the cruise director's staff were more visible - this may be due to differences in the people, and not necessarily to the cruise line.

Fellow passengers: Tie - We have not noticed a big difference. Standard mix of people from Canada, USA, and UK.

Have fun learning about both cruise lines!

Snorkel_Girl

Thanks! Any advice at all helps. I feel like its such a big decision that I can't make up my mind, but I do also realize that as long as I am at sea, and going to pretty fun/interesting places I am happy.

Chelsea

Let me just say that you will have a great time no matter which cruise line you choose.

Activities: Pretty much the same on all cruise lines. You can always find something to do.

Entertainment: Thought NCL had good venues for dancing. Not into production shows, Princess, great comedians.

Food: Princess wins hands down in dining room food, buffet food was mostly the same with and edge to Princess. Two pay venues we ate in on NCL, the food was very good. Service, again Princess all the way!

Balcony rooms pretty much the same, but felt Princess balcony's may be a bit larger (I may be wrong!)

Passengers, good mix on both lines, port you are leaving from has a lot to do with demographics.

Keep in mind NCL is "Freestyle" cruising, not for everyone!!

We have traveled on both and like both, but our overall preference is for Princess.

Activities: We have found that Princess offers more in the way of daily onboard activities and the cruise director staff seems generally better on Princess. That being said we also enjoyed the activities on NCL, they just weren't as numerous and varied as on Princess.

Entertainment: Honestly I have to give the nod to NCL here for production shows. They had some of the best production shows we have seen on any line. They use the Jean Ann Ryan company and they are very professional. The singers and dancers were really superb.

For live music and lounge entertainment throughout the ship however, Princess offers a much better level of talent and a much wider range of choices.

Food: Princess wins here for us, but NCL is good too. I would just say that overall the food across the board on Princess is superior. One thing NCL does do very well is soups and desserts. Both have flexible dining options, but I prefer the way that Anytime Dining is set up on Princess.

Cabins: Very similar, although our cabins on Princess were a bit larger and definitely were better for storage space.

Kids Program: Much better on Princess. Far more organized with many more activities and better counselors.

Service: We found service to be excellent on both lines. I would say with Princess it is a bit more consistent across the board with all the crew and staff we have encountered, whereas with NCL it was very good, but maybe not quite as personal.

Ambience: Princess definitely offers a more elegant and refined cruise experience. NCL is a bit more casual and less formal. We sort of prefer a bit more of the feeling of "old time" cruising, but without being stuffy and Princess seems to offer a perfect balance.

Fellow cruisers: Princess probably skews a bit older, but not much. We generally travel during times when there are other families onboard so there is always a good mix of ages.

PRINCESS wins in food, ambiance, cleanliness, bedding, entertainment and all around cruise ship experience.

Anytime dining and the commericials on T.V. about it are not true; it is just not all that great! There were long, long lines in the most popular venues and it took a toll on the passengers and the staff!

Cookies & cakes available were amazing on NCL but I can't cruise just for the "cookie" experience!

Our fellow passengers were a bit "dressed down!" Not that I'm a snob but I do love that dining with class experience!

We have done NCL several times and Princess once, our preference is for Princess although both are excellent. We give the slight nod to Princess because we thought the food and service was better. Too bad Princess's credit card doesn't offer the same rewards as NCL - if it did we would switch!!

Unless you are going to Hawaii where there are limited options; it is silly to compare these two lines. They go for completely different crowds:

NCL is after people who prefer a very casual style. They like brighter colors, louder people and may include younger and more single people.

Princess can party but for the most part is more sedate with entertainment and even in the decoration, caters to families, has formal nights, and appeals to a slightly older crowd (lots of boomers tho, I didn't mean VERY old).

If you like or don't mind kitschy decoration, don't want to get out of a bathing suit and tshirt, but don't want to be left out of anything because of it, go NCL. If you are married or with a S.O.(straight or gay), like to dress up now and then, and prefer quite elegance but can't afford Seabourne, go Princess.

Unless you are going to Hawaii where there are limited options; it is silly to compare these two lines. They go for completely different crowds:

Thats exactly why I am trying to figure out which line to go with.

I think what you are saying makes sense. We just want to have fun, but not feel like its TOO sedate. My biggest curiosity it the kind of 'crowd' these two lines draw in and the kind of activities on board.

Either way it sounds like I will be pleased!

Has anyone on these boards travelled both lines? If so, could you possibly make a comparison between the two? Just overall (on the newer ships - I know the old norwegian ones arent really worth traveling) with activities, entertainment, food, rooms (balcony/mini suites), other people on board ect...

Thanks!

Hi,

I have traveled on both lines and enjoyed both immensely. This is just my humble opinion based on my limited experience.:D

Entertainment- edge to Princess

Crew Friendliness - big edge to NCL

Cleanliness of Cabins- edge to NCL

Cleanliness of Ship- edge to Princess

Food in Dining rooms- equal, had great meals and not-so-great meals on both lines. (DH would give edge to Princess)

Buffet- edge to NCL (I only eat at buffet for breakfast.)

Other 'free' food venues- good pizza and burgers on Princess, good fish & chips, burgers, and soup at Blue Lagoon on NCL.

Pools- edge to Princess

Activities- edge to NCL (always something doin')

Ambiance- edge to Princess

Livliness (?)- edge to NCL (spring break) vs Princess (Christmas)

As far as Personal Choice vs Freestyle...minimal waiting times, if any.

I am sure there are more categories, but this is enough from me. I hope to try all of the cruise lines.

Have a great time no matter which line you choose.:)

Thanks!

Okay, here goes. Might be long. I am currently going on the June 4 sailing of Carribean Princess. The last time I was on a Princess ship was 12 years ago. I was on the Regal on my honeymoon and I must say till this day it was the "best" cruise I was ever on. The food was wonderful, suite was beautiful, cabin steward "Antonio" (I still remember his name) was great. As a matter of fact, the whole crew was awesome. Now, I can't wait to go on the CP this year. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

In between these years I have been on 3 Royal Carribean cruises and Norwegian Dawn once. Royal Carribean was very good because my daughter came with us and there is a lot of things for kids. Food on Royal Carribean is not as good as the other two. Nowegian Dawn had great food, wonderful staff and beautiful suite. I loved the poolside barbecues every day because I like to sit and sunbathe. I never do lunch on cruises and if you were a little hungry, you could get the best grilled piece of chicken without going for a long, drawn out seating in the dining room or buffet (TOO much food) The specialty restaurants on the Dawn were well worth it. It was nice not to have to get too dressed up for dinner. Actually, took a lot of pressure of packing. After this Princess cruise, I will be able to evaluate better. But truthfully, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

So since this is part of the topic here...what is the difference between the Anytime Dining option on Princess and Freestyle Cruising on NCL?

NCL has 2 Traditional Dining Rooms (No reservations), no formal nights, the new larger ships have several dining alternative options (steakhouse, French Restaurant, Teppanyaki (Japenese), Italian for a fee.

We have cruised on both an won't travel on NCL again. We love Princess because it just is more comfortable for us. My dh and I are in our 50's and love to travel. We enjoyed the very relaxing casual elegance of Princess. The anytime dining on Princess is just more accomadating than the dining options on NCL. We also like the more understated decorating on Princess.

Thats exactly why I am trying to figure out which line to go with.

I think what you are saying makes sense. We just want to have fun, but not feel like its TOO sedate. My biggest curiosity it the kind of 'crowd' these two lines draw in and the kind of activities on board.

Either way it sounds like I will be pleased!

Did you say where you were cruising? From what I saw the cruisers on NCL in Alaska and Europe were quite different than those who are more relaxed in the Caribbean and Mexico.

We have been on only one NCL cruise (the POAM in Hawaii) but it exceeded our expectations. Thought that food quality and entertainment were better on Princess, but we did enjoy freestyle, and thought the service was comperable between the two lines. We really liked the buffet layout on the POAM, as well as the upper deck design.

Oh, and one more thing...NCL coffee was MUCH better than princess coffee.

So since this is part of the topic here...what is the difference between the Anytime Dining option on Princess and Freestyle Cruising on NCL?

That was the same question I was asking before we sailed on the Norwegian Sun. Conclusion: Other than not having to wear a tie on the two Formal Night's, not much. I was expecting ALL of these dining choices but most were surcharge restaurant's, which Princess offer's as well. Hey, great marketing on NCL's part though.

We sailed NCL Dawn in December, and 3 past cruises on Princess, with another one in May to Alaska. I prefer Princess -- The high tea at 3 is such a treat, staff is friendly and accommodating. Only ate in dining room on NCL, we don't like Buffets, but looking at the choices, Princess was a higher quality and the Princess Dream dessert is a treat! Princess' shows and entertainment was better too.

You will enjoy either line, but Princess I find is a better experience. Have fun and enjoy.

Donna

The decor on NCL, both IN and ON the ship is really garish! The buffet area is bit like high school and the long lines in their "Freestyle" Dining areas was anything but freestyle!!!! The beds were not very comfortable.

All that said....would I do NCL again? If the price were right and I drank a little more, yes!

We have sailed on the NCL Jewel and Princess' Crown and Star.

The speciatly dining on the Jewel was excellent. Our favorites were Teppanyaki, Le Bistro and Cagneys. The rest of the dining was ok.

Princess beats NCL in the dining department. Sabatini's and Crown Grill was awesome and the regular dining was just as good.

The rooms on NCL were a little nicer than Princess. We always get a balcony. The NCL room had more storage, a couch and the bathroom layout was nicer. The shower was a little bigger and the toilet had a privacy door.

Both are great lines

I have taken NCL 13 times, and Princess 3 times. due to having no tradional dinning I would no longer cruise NCL, my only negative thing on Princess is on the Crown at least you must get to show rooms early if you want a seat. Nect cruise is in 7 weeks on Princess again this will be my 50th cruise- you just get much better service with the same waiter every night

Ok so from what i understand on NCL the freestyle dining you have to make your reservations in a specific area each night?

What about if we did the 'Anytime Dining' with Princess...From what I hve been hearing its not really 'anytime'?

I like the idea of different restaurants, but would rather have great food, in one if it came down to that. Also most of the specialty restaurants I finding out have a surcharge!? But I would rather spend that money on UBD or at a NICE specialty restaurant if I chose than doing it every night!?

Anyways, I definitely appreciate all the responses. Its a good toss up. And I am still not sure..lol.. NCL is a little cheaper overall, but I know the ships look different have different people (BTW we are doing a Southern Caribbean) different nightlife.

I hope the night life on Emerald for a Southern Caribbean cruise is active. Thats the one downside with princess. I dont want the ship to 'fall asleep' after dinner because of lack of activities or passenger involvement!

I have NEVER had the ship "fall asleep", on Princess......There's a mix of people.....Old and young who will dance and drink you into the ground on Princess......At least that's what we've found on all of our Princess cruises and we've done quite a few.......

We were on the Diamond and the people on board were such a lively group it was hard for us to keep up with them.....and they were much older than us!

It can vary from cruise to cruise.....depends on the folks onboard!

Archived