Explorer of the seas 12 NT Cruise

I was woundering what the 12 nt cruise from NJ to Caribbean was like? If we do go I will be taking my family and one teen(15). We will go next year week of march 15. I was curiouis how many kids /teens usualay go on 12 nts. I would love some help thanks

I was woundering what the 12 nt cruise from NJ to Caribbean was like? If we do go I will be taking my family and one teen(15). We will go next year week of march 15. I was curiouis how many kids /teens usualay go on 12 nts. I would love some help thanks

Most schools do not have that long off so you will see few kids/teens. Granted some parents will pull the kids out, but that is a long time for kids to miss.

I would think not many teens at all. Unless maybe the cruise falls over a school holiday, as christmas/new years.

March 15th is usually around college spring break but 12 days for a cruise is too long for college kids on spring break. Easter is in april in 09. So none of the schools around here will be on break.

The few times we have cruised without our kids, at times that there was no school break, there were maybe a total of 100 kids on a ship. Most of them being under 5. There have always been some teens tho. Not a lot but we have seen them.

Our youngest leaves for college this fall. We never sailed out of school breaks with our kids once my oldest got past elementary school. The kids programs function best when there are children on the ship. And a teen needs other teens. 12 days is a very long time with a teenager without many choices to hang out with other teenagers.

I think it is well worth the cost to sail during major school vacation weeks.

I agree with Sue, you won't see many kids.

The exception might be if that happens to be a week when schools are closed for the Spring Break. Many kids get up to 10-12 days (counting weekends), so you may see some more kids in that age group.

Most schools do not have that long off so you will see few kids/teens. Granted some parents will pull the kids out, put that is a long time for kids to miss.

Thanks so much I am going to keep this in mind. Now my family and I are thinking about doing a back to back on carnival triumph 2*7 days I think there will be more teens on these. Have an of you done a b2b

Thanks so much I am going to keep this in mind. Now my family and I are thinking about doing a back to back on carnival triumph 2*7 days I think there will be more teens on these. Have an of you done a b2b

There may be but that is not a common break time. Most schools typically have off in Feb (President's week, northeast) or around Easter which is April 12th in 2009.

If school is not off you will see few kids.

I am curious where you live that you have that much time off at that time of year? Or is your teen home schooled?

There may be but that is not a common break time. Most schools typically have off in Feb (President's week, northeast) or around Easter which is April 12th in 2009.

I am curious where you live that you have that much time off at that time of year? Or is your teen home schooled?

We live in Ohio our break is from March 20- March 30. We were just gonna take him out for 4 days which is no big deal.

We live in Ohio our break is from March 20- March 30. We were just gonna take him out for 4 days which is no big deal.

Since most public schools across the country (and catholic too) will break for easter, I still don't think you will find that many teens even on carnival at that time.

Strange that your school breaks not during easter or passover. Maybe they follow the college schedule of spring break?

I do think you will have more luck with kids/teens on a 7 day cruise out of miami than you will with leaving from ny/nj.

Many schools run on a year round schedule and the popularity of homeschooling brings more people to florida for cruises than nj.

My guess is you will find more college age kids on a cruise in march than 15 yr olds.

Since most public schools across the country (and catholic too) will break for easter, I still don't think you will find that many teens even on carnival at that time.

Strange that your school breaks not during easter or passover. Maybe they follow the college schedule of spring break?

I do think you will have more luck with kids/teens on a 7 day cruise out of miami than you will with leaving from ny/nj.

Many schools run on a year round schedule and the popularity of homeschooling brings more people to florida for cruises than nj.

My guess is you will find more college age kids on a cruise in march than 15 yr olds.

Yeah my sons school has a really weird break. They follow Ohio state though so

in nyc all public schools will be closed 3/30-4/6 in 2009

Does any one know what other schools have the week march 20-30?

A lot of colleges. I don't think you will find many high schools across the us closed then. Spring break for public elementary and secondary education is usually fairly similar. They close for days at easter/passover.

Colleges break in march every year regardless of when passover/easter falls.

Maybe let your teenager bring a friend. It usually works out best if you only have one kid anyway to let them bring their best friend.

My 3 nephews are each only children and my brother and inlaw sibilings have found it really works out well for their kid to have a friend travel with them.

A lot of colleges. I don't think you will find many high schools across the us closed then. Spring break for public elementary and secondary education is usually fairly similar. They close for days at easter/passover.

Colleges break in march every year regardless of when passover/easter falls.

Maybe let your teenager bring a friend. It usually works out best if you only have one kid anyway to let them bring their best friend.

My 3 nephews are each only children and my brother and inlaw sibilings have found it really works out well for their kid to have a friend travel with them.

yeah our school bases it off colleges. Wouldnt bringing a friend be really even more expensive it is already gonna cost a ton for us. Also even if there are no teens/kids on the ship isent there enough for him to do? Would like to no details:D

yeah our school bases it off colleges. Wouldnt bringing a friend be really even more expensive it is already gonna cost a ton for us. Also even if there are no teens/kids on the ship isent there enough for him to do? Would like to no details:D

I suppose it depends on what kind of kid he is. Will he be happy doing stuff by himself? My teenage daughter would be miserable. Which in turn, would make me miserable...lol

7 days I think would be fine. 12 days, I think would be miserable for a kid if there were no other teens to hang out with.

he's too young for college kids. Although I'm sure he'd be welcome to join in playing basketball with them. My sons are 21 and 24 and they are always up for competition sports and will encourage the younger kids to join in the game, not to be able to beat them but just to include them so they are having fun too. Probably because when they were young, our neighbors had older teenage boys that always would play basketball and let them play too. They have done the same with the younger kids. (basketball is an example, they'll join them in air hockey, paddle ball etc, plus my nephews are 18, 14 and 12 so they are used to including them in their lives)

But at night, he won't be able to go where even the 18 yr olds can go.

I do think for sure, you will have a much better chance of your son meeting other teens on a 7 night cruise out of florida. Maybe pick freedom of the seas, because at least he can do the flowrider etc during the day too.

Because our boys are in college and our daughter is now a senior in hs, if we travel on her school breaks she brings one of her friends.

For us, I guess it's different. We have 3 kids, so it's been since my daughter was 3 that no kid has been in our cabin/hotel room. When they were little, we got suites or connecting cabins. The same for hotels.

It wouldn't be a vacation for us if we all had to sleep in the same room.

I suppose it depends on what kind of kid he is. Will he be happy doing stuff by himself? My teenage daughter would be miserable. Which in turn, would make me miserable...lol

7 days I think would be fine. 12 days, I think would be miserable for a kid if there were no other teens to hang out with.

he's too young for college kids. Although I'm sure he'd be welcome to join in playing basketball with them. My sons are 21 and 24 and they are always up for competition sports and will encourage the younger kids to join in the game, not to be able to beat them but just to include them so they are having fun too. Probably because when they were young, our neighbors had older teenage boys that always would play basketball and let them play too. They have done the same with the younger kids. (basketball is an example, they'll join them in air hockey, paddle ball etc, plus my nephews are 18, 14 and 12 so they are used to including them in their lives)But at night, he won't be able to go where even the 18 yr olds can go.

I do think for sure, you will have a much better chance of your son meeting other teens on a 7 night cruise out of florida. Maybe pick freedom of the seas, because at least he can do the flowrider etc during the day too.

Because our boys are in college and our daughter is now a senior in hs, if we travel on her school breaks she brings one of her friends.

For us, I guess it's different. We have 3 kids, so it's been since my daughter was 3 that no kid has been in our cabin/hotel room. When they were little, we got suites or connecting cabins. The same for hotels.

It wouldn't be a vacation for us if we all had to sleep in the same room.

thanks so much I forgot to add that we might be taking my 12 year old son. My sons are very athletic and always seems to find something to do. When we went on the legend there was only 10 kids there ages and they were friends with all of them and they had a great time. I was woundering like what activites this ship offers. ex. rock wall, mini golf. Even if there is not alot of kids if there is good activites like these than everyone ahs a good time

For what its worth, that week will be spring break for public and high schools in Ontario. We have booked the 10 day Panama cruise for that week and will be travelling with our 12 and 17 year old. They just have to take a couple extra days off.

For what its worth, that week will be spring break for public and high schools in Ontario. We have booked the 10 day Panama cruise for that week and will be travelling with our 12 and 17 year old. They just have to take a couple extra days off.

thanks thats what I thought would happen on the last cruise I went on there were tons of canadian children off so and that was the same week as next year:D

thanks thats what I thought would happen on the last cruise I went on there were tons of canadian children off so and that was the same week as next year:D

ahhh, forgot about the canadians ;) So maybe there will be a lot of kids on the explorer then that week.

And it's good that your sons are close enough in age to hang out together.

Mine always got along really well on vacation at those ages. Home...well they mostly got along, but on vacation they were pals the whole time...lol Now they are best buddies, like when they were little. It was just thru the years of when the age difference between 12 and 16 is very apparent that they sometimes didn't get along. Like the 12 yr old would touch the 16 yr olds stuff...lol

ahhh, forgot about the canadians ;) So maybe there will be a lot of kids on the explorer then that week.

And it's good that your sons are close enough in age to hang out together.

Mine always got along really well on vacation at those ages. Home...well they mostly got along, but on vacation they were pals the whole time...lol Now they are best buddies, like when they were little. It was just thru the years of when the age difference between 12 and 16 is very apparent that they sometimes didn't get along. Like the 12 yr old would touch the 16 yr olds stuff...lol

yeah thats them lol. yeah I am gonna look up when canada break is if its the same then I assume alot more beacuse its even closer to canada then miami is more conventiant

:)

Archived