Destiny passengers robbed in Antigua on Wed.

bubbles1209

HORRIBLE! I hate to even think about it for anybody.

With that said, I sure wouldn't leave a bag with $1500.00 in laying on the beach unattended while I swam, we would have to swim in shifts or use a beachsafe/waterproof item to wear while in the water.

my exact thoughts!

We never bring alot of money ashore. Leave our valuables at home. I don't even take my good jewelry anymore why take the chance. And I am always on the beach when hubbies in the water....

Hello Orlandofl......

Hello D&A..what's going on with the group?Seems like they are on the cruise already,no one chatting.

yeah, its terrible to get robbed....but geeze...havent they ever seen the american exxpress travelers check commercials? we never bring more than $20 with us, and it gets wet when we do....

Do you really believe the beach bar in Antigua is going to cash American Express travelers checks? We carry cash but not in that amount but much more than twenty dollars.

yeah, its terrible to get robbed....but geeze...havent they ever seen the american exxpress travelers check commercials? we never bring more than $20 with us, and it gets wet when we do....
$20.00? that's only 2 drinks at a bar.

Don - Your math is a little off. Have you had your IQ checked recently?

Typo error - sorry. I meant to type 100, not 50.

My point is accurate, even if I can not type. If the average IQ is 100, this means that 50% of the people have an IQ less than 100 and a significant number of people have IQs significantly less than 100 (got it right this time). Leaving $1500 plus stuff on a beach clearly puts this group of people on the <100 group.

DON

We use the safe in our cabin. We figure out how much cash we might need for the day and leave the rest in the safe. Also I have a waterproof plastic "locket" that holds credit cards and cash when we go to the beach and works well. They are available on board but cheaper at the souvenir shops on the islands. We live near a beach in the USA and we always have someone watching our "things" on the beach. I feel badly for the people who got robbed but common sense has to prevail.

......which is why I always carry my valuables on me (beach safe) - around my neck at all times. Yes I have a beach bag with the usual stuff in it - towel, sunscreen, t-shirt, snorkel gear, etc. but got forbid someone grabs it - no great loss - all replaceable - and I can still get on the ship and/or go shopping as required!

I can't imagine what these people were thinking????!!!!

......which is why I always carry my valuables on me (beach safe) - around my neck at all times. Yes I have a beach bag with the usual stuff in it - towel, sunscreen, t-shirt, snorkel gear, etc. but got forbid someone grabs it - no great loss - all replaceable - and I can still get on the ship and/or go shopping as required!

I can't imagine what these people were thinking????!!!!

I have been using a waterproof pouch for over 20 years for my money,keys etc,it's attached to my swim trunk waist string and goes into my pocket,i also have a plastic waterproof container that does the same thing or around my neck,i use it for my cigarettes,it's great for when you go to an all inclusive resort and sit in the pool bar,you don't need bulky beach towels anymore for the ,there is a something new that absords liquid and all you do is wring it out,it's also used by the American olympic swim team.

Do you really believe the beach bar in Antigua is going to cash American Express travelers checks? We carry cash but not in that amount but much more than twenty dollars.

umm the travlers check was more of a joke...although a little common sense would tell anyone not to take cash and then be ignorant enough to leave it unatteneded

umm the travlers check was more of a joke...although a little common sense would tell anyone not to take cash and then be ignorant enough to leave it unatteneded

I think anyone who travels has to weigh the risk of carrying cash, which many times there is no other option, against being able to enjoy ones vacation. We carry enough cash to get us by for that day but not enough that if it were lost or stolen it would ruin the rest of our vacation.

HORRIBLE! I hate to even think about it for anybody.

With that said, I sure wouldn't leave a bag with $1500.00 in laying on the beach unattended while I swam, we would have to swim in shifts or use a beachsafe/waterproof item to wear while in the water.

Yeah...no one deserves to be robbed, but that was really stupid. This is why they provide us with safes in our cabins.

Should have had at least one person watching their stuff.:cool:

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?:cool: :rolleyes:

they went to the beach last......so they had had a full day etc.....took a dip..........was set up by taxi driver...........yes way too much money and goods to leave alone on a beach.......but lets not be too hard on them.....we all most likely have had a whew moment.....like "wow how why did I do that"........"that was stupid"................lol lol lol lol

Everyone is smashing these people for going swimming at a beach. (having 1500 in cash IS just stupid) but I know when I'm in my ports that I'll be taking a dip too. I'm not going to go back tot he ship lock my stuff up, go to the beach, swim, then do it all in reverse!! It's unfortunate, but it's not "common sense" to not go swimming at the beach.

And taking shifts swimming?? really you'd sacrifice having a good time in the water witht he poeple you cruise with just to be sure nobody takes your stuff? What if someone takes your cruise buddy because he/she was by themselves??

I suppose staying a little shallower and making sure your stuff isn't back by the road is a good idea, but if you are paranoid about it all the tgime, how are you going to enjoy your vacation???

Exactly who has slammed them for going swimming?!

And yes, if you insist on carrying $1500 worth of valuables to the beach, and you would like to be sure you still have $1500 worth of valuables when you leave, then you will have to swim in shifts. It's pretty simple. "Paranoid" or not, it's reality.

The waterproof wallets are a good idea, but that doesn't take care of the camera or cell phone. We just bring a cheap disposable underwater with us in these cases and I wear the waterproof money holder when I go into the water. And I enjoy my vacation just fine; I understand that there are dishonest people anywhere you go, I account for that, and then I go about the business of having fun.

Yeah...no one deserves to be robbed, but that was really stupid. This is why they provide us with safes in our cabins.

Maybe they needed to be robbed to learn a lesson. That is, if they learned or were capable of learning a lesson.

DON

As for the safes on board? I demagnetized our card and it did not work on the safe with my money and valuables inside. When maintenance arrived he simply swiped it with his card and it was open!!! I now place my money in my lockable small carry on and then inside my lockable suitcase and then it goes under the bed. The safes are easy to open if you get ahold of the master card and I suspect all of maintenance has them.

Archived