Solo dining/cruising

debt

I am set for the Nov 6 transatlantic on Indepence of the Seas. This will be my first rcl cruise. Would it better going solo with a small table in the dinng room? Do they provide compatible service to solo diners in Portofino's/Chops or (as in some upscale land restaurants) frown on 1 person taking up a table? :confused:

I am set for the Nov 6 transatlantic on Indepence of the Seas. This will be my first rcl cruise. Would it better going solo with a small table in the dinng room? Do they provide compatible service to solo diners in Portofino's/Chops or (as in some upscale land restaurants) frown on 1 person taking up a table? :confused:

So am I! (though it's not my first RC cruise ;))

Come back to the Roll Call and get to know your fellow travelers!

Ask for seating at a large table. This is also a good way to get to know people.

:)

On our very first cruise about 10 years ago, there was a young lady traveling solo at our table for 6. Our group was wifey, son (12) and myself, an elderly couple from The Bronx, and this young lady. All of us had a wonderful time during our dinners together. What was great was that it was really 4 generations together. We all exchanged stories and were very happy together.

I had to admire the young lady for traveling by herself, and she enjoyed herself. Don't think I would have the courage to do the same.

Definitely ask for a large table at dinner.

As to Portofino and Chops, some solos have reported not being allowed to make advance reservations for those restaurants on some ships, and being told they should just show up on the time and night they wanted to eat and see if they can be fitted in.

Seems like bigger is better at meal times. The other major concern I have about being at a larger table is being seated somewhere in the middle of the table. I am left handed and would hate to ruin someone's formal nite with a unitentional elbow. Is there some type of seating protocol at the table or is it first come first seated? :o :o

Archived