Cruise attire - What I saw

How's this for formal attire.

These pics were posted by a cruiser on another thread showing "formal wear" on the Carnival Miracle.

TR101506-vi.jpg

Chainmail3-vi.jpg

Yup, that's DarkJedi, and his wife-swapping wife! They cruise to get threesomes. She got kicked out of the dining room for wearing the second number, and they were very upset. She made it herself - out of metal.:eek: They were also horrifed when Carnival eliminated the topless deck.

Oh, the things you learn on the Carnival boards!:D

Yup, that's DarkJedi, and his wife-swapping wife! They cruise to get threesomes. She got kicked out of the dining room for wearing the second number, and they were very upset. She made it herself - out of metal.:eek: They were also horrifed when Carnival eliminated the topless deck.

Oh, the things you learn on the Carnival boards!:D

Yikes!!!!!! :eek:

I agree that "formal" and "stuffy" are non synonyms. My DH's tuxes are formal, but trust me that when you're conducting or playing trombone in an orchestra, you need to be comfortable in your tux. That's where quality fabrics and construction (and a good tailor) help. He never looked stuffy to me. I used to have a rack of evening and cocktail dresses (with appropriate under-items, hose, and great shoes). I wouldn't dream of buying a formal outfit that was uncomfortable or that made me feel stuffy in it. It's really not that hard, even when you have significant skin sensitivities as we do.

About the other subject (kids). Who ever claimed to be "allergic" to children? I think that's a rather unnecessary dig at those who prefer to cruise when there are fewer kids onboard. It doesn't make them kid haters or bad people. In fact, most of them seem to be parents. We are. Our DD is grown and on her own, and we now prefer to cruise when school is likely to be in session. We don't dislike children by any means and think cruising is a terrific family vacation. It's nice to see families with kids (and the kids) enjoying themselves. (Although, a hottub full of kids splashing like this is inappropriate. It's hardly a matter of being able to "handle" it when parents allow their kids to treat hottubs like a children's pool. I don't think that kids are even supposed to be in the hottubs without supervision. And don't even get me started on parents who send their kids into the hottubs with snorkel gear!) We simply don't think that families with children "own" cruising any more than anyone else does. The fact is that when children are near, most adults tend to censor their conversations more, and many parents seem to assume that we all want to hear every little detail of their children's lives. We would not enjoy being seated at a table with young children, no matter how well behaved they are. We prefer dining with other adults. Don't assume that means we don't like children or wish that they'd disappear.

beachchick

OK, here's my take on this topic; shoot me down all you want, it's just my opinion.

We are about to take our first ever cruise (apart from a Nile cruise which is different). One of the factors which influenced us was the fact that there were formal nights. We looked at other cruise lines (including the one that advertises itself as "cruises for people who don't do cruises") and were positively delighted when we learnt that we have two formal nights on our trip.

Some years ago I found myself attending black tie event after black tie event, and tux rental was costing a fortune, so I went out and bought one. Co-incidentally, almost immediately, the run of blacktie events virtually dried up! However I still have a decent, modern tux and shirts ties etc.

SWMBO has a good selection of both evening gowns and cocktail dresses,and we both look forward to being 'properly' dressed up. If anyone has a problem with me being tux'd up, that's their problem not mine.

Now, for formal nights, which I am sure will be well flagged up, somebody not making the effort to at least be smart is insulting to other diners who have made the effort. There's plenty of places to eat where you don't have to dress up (so you aren't going to go hungry) and turning up in the main restuarant in your scuddy tatty denim jeans, t-shirt, back-to-front baseball cap and flip-flops is frankly not on, and the maitre'd should stop you.

By all means don't go in a tux if you don't have one, or don't feel comfortable, but please be smart.

Kids: Too many parents regards holidays as a chance to let the kids off the leash and do whatever the little darlings want. I've seen parents propping the bar up while their kids basically run riot, and I've seen parents who can't move their backsides off their sunloungers to keep their offspring in check, and instead choose to bellow at them (often including colourful expletives.)

Well-behaved, well-monitored kids are ok by me, but I really don't want to encounter them climbing up the down escalators!

Now, for formal nights, which I am sure will be well flagged up, somebody not making the effort to at least be smart is insulting to other diners who have made the effort. There's plenty of places to eat where you don't have to dress up (so you aren't going to go hungry) and turning up in the main restuarant in your scuddy tatty denim jeans, t-shirt, back-to-front baseball cap and flip-flops is frankly not on, and the maitre'd should stop you.

Hi. I really agree with the above quote and will probably be flamed for it too. ON a FORMAL Night, If I wear an expensive gown, got my hair done, and DH a tux, it really would be a turn off to see diners next to me without taking any care to their appearance. I wouldn't let it ruin my evening, and I personally have a live and let live attitude, but I simply don't get it. If it is designated a "formal" night, why would you bother going to the dining room not dressed formally? There are other choices/options (Johnny Rockets?) Ultimately, as Sancho said, the fault would lie with the maitre'd - People are going to try to get away with what they can.

......mainly because I am not stuffy enough to let that sort of thing bother me, nor do I judge people how they dress).. ...

THANK YOU! At 59 and 61 (respectfully) my sister and I still like playing dress up. But we both believe in dressing to please ourselves not strangers sitting at or near our table. People should wear what they feel comfortable wearing - PERIOD!

The pictures of that outrageous dress....I honestly thought in the first picture it was two guys and that it had to be a joke.

I can't believe she even got in the dining room with either...both look like a slight gust of wind (by merely walking) would cause the flaps to fly up and reveal ALL underneath.

I bet she got a lot of "looks"....

THANK YOU! At 59 and 61 (respectfully) my sister and I still like playing dress up. But we both believe in dressing to please ourselves not strangers sitting at or near our table. People should wear what they feel comfortable wearing - PERIOD!

No, Lady Cruiser.... Thank YOU.. We also liked dressing up.... but this was exactly the point of my orignal post... just trying to make people aware that no matter what you wear, IT'S OK....

The way i see it royal carribean has on its web site and brochures what you should wear on certain nights? Now if this is such a problem for some people then why don't you eat somewhere else that is far more informal?

I think it is fun to get all dressed up as it isn't something i really do so really can't see why putting on a tux or a suit is such a big deal for some!

I can't believe she even got in the dining room with either...both look like a slight gust of wind (by merely walking) would cause the flaps to fly up and reveal ALL underneath.

I bet she got a lot of "looks"....

I'll bet there is a good graphic designer who worked pretty hard on this in Photoshop that is getting a HUGE laugh at this right now....:D

I was on ROS in March and it what the OP says is definately true. It seemed that all dressing was acceptable for ALL nights. We followed the RC guidelines each night for dinner. Our guys wore suits, my DD and I wore nice cocktail dresses for formal nights. I was a little intimidated on the last night, I wore a jersey knit dress (not dressy) and I noticed a fair amount of glances my way. I guess I was overdressed. :confused: Oh well, I wear scrubs to work and I wore a dress every night on the cruise in various styles. I felt pretty and it was easy to pack these jersey dresses.

We had several children nearby and they were very well behaved, as I would expect them to be. I am really fine with whatever anyone wants to wear, except for that obnoxious dressing in the previous pictures!! :eek: She should have been kicked out of the dining room. I saw a lady in a thong bathing suit near the pool and believe me, she needed told to cover-up too!! :eek:

The way i see it royal carribean has on its web site and brochures what you should wear on certain nights? Now if this is such a problem for some people then why don't you eat somewhere else that is far more informal?

I think it is fun to get all dressed up as it isn't something i really do so really can't see why putting on a tux or a suit is such a big deal for some!

Again.. (and again)... YES, NO ONE is disputing that it IS fun for SOME of us to get dressed up... but WHO are WE to judge why they should eat somewhere else and NOT enjoy the food in the dining room because they do NOT want to adhere to YOUR standards of dress?????????? Maybe someone cannot AFFORD the extra money for a tux or a beautiful gown (and dont say if they can afford the cruise, they can afford another few hundred bucks for nicer formal wear), because some people just CAN'T. OR maybe they are not comfortable in a tux or gown, which may be a personlity trait... yet ANOTHER reason why they should not join us in the dining room.... What are we missing here???????

My DH and I always dress a little nicer when we are cruising, and we dress even nicer for formal evenings. However, on our last short cruise, our waiter told everyone at the table to come to dinner the next night for formal evening- even if we were not dressed up!

We usually do not dress up on short cruises, as we go to mainly relax and do a lot of nothing. On formal nights we always eat at the Windjammer. It just surprised me to hear the waiter make that comment. We still chose not to eat in the dining room, although our "nicer" clothes would probably have been okay.

How in the world is anyone supposed to follow the "rules" when the wait staff encourages passengers to do otherwise?

... but WHO are WE to judge why they should eat somewhere else and NOT enjoy the food in the dining room because they do NOT want to adhere to YOUR standards of dress?????????? Maybe someone cannot AFFORD the extra money for a tux or a beautiful gown (and dont say if they can afford the cruise, they can afford another few hundred bucks for nicer formal wear), because some people just CAN'T. OR maybe they are not comfortable in a tux or gown, which may be a personlity trait... yet ANOTHER reason why they should not join us in the dining room.... What are we missing here???????

As I said in an earlier post:

By all means don't go in a tux if you don't have one, or don't feel comfortable, but please be smart.

For me the point is, why not make the effort? You knew when you booked the cruise there were going to be formal nights. Is an element of smartness too much to ask?

platty192,

The bottom line is wear your gown that you bought, know that IF you stick out, you will look good doing it. Most people will admire how nice you look, and the rest... who cares. If you feel good about it, go for it!

Make sure that you have your photos taken before dinner, that way your makeup and hair is fresh. You can look back later and see how good you look!:)

thankyou for putting my mind at rest , i will enjoy my 1st cruise no matter what ... thankyou :D

As I said in an earlier post:

For me the point is, why not make the effort? You knew when you booked the cruise there were going to be formal nights. Is an element of smartness too much to ask?

Be smart? So...anyone who chooses not to carry with them specifically "formal" attire isn't smart? I would like to think I am smart for not bringing specifically formal attire as listed by RCI since it's taking me 26hrs of driving just to get to the port.

Perhaps the word "smart" shouldn't be used. It implies there are people who are "stupid" then :(

I think I am just going to stop reading this thread. It's depressing !

Apologies; I forgot this international nature of this forum. I was using "smart" in the UK sense of:

neat, trim <soldiers in smart uniforms> b: stylish or elegant in dress or appearance c (1): appealing to sophisticated tastes (2): characteristic of or patronized by fashionable society

rather than the US usage of smart = intelligent. I never intended to imply that not 'dressing up' indicated any sort of lower level of intelligence.

Apologies; I forgot this international nature of this forum. I was using "smart" in the UK sense of:

neat, trim <soldiers in smart uniforms> b: stylish or elegant in dress or appearance c (1): appealing to sophisticated tastes (2): characteristic of or patronized by fashionable society

rather than the US usage of smart = intelligent. I never intended to imply that not 'dressing up' indicated any sort of lower level of intelligence.

No problem. I apologize too :)

See, the trouble with criticizing what other people where is that you will invite the same scrutiny.

Someone made a hysterical point by the ladies wearing 20 year old Prom Gowns (rock those puffy pink sleeves!!).

But more to the point - (and men often say this) - well-dressed, sexy woman is one who is confident in what she's wearing. An insecure woman dressing to conform always looks bad (Remember Edina from "Absolutely Fabulous")?

If you love dressing up and practice to the letter RCCL's dress code and want to criticize others or wonder why the hell other women don't love it, someone can turn to you and say "How could you show your face on a formal night with that satin atrocity from JC Penney?" I could make the argument that anyone in anything less than couture quality evening wear is basically putting lipstick on a pig.

Not very nice is it? Btw, do you like rock climbing? Do you jog 5 miles every morning on the ship? Are you confined to the shore excursions or do you rent a jeep or motorbike and explore the islands yourself, hire a local fisherman to take you scubadiving? Well, why the hell not?! What's wrong with you?? Why won't you vacation EXACTLY LIKE ME?? I mean, they have rock climbing, boxing rings, a fitness center and 3rd world countries to independently explore; why would you not do every thing RCCL asks you to do or offers you to do? Are you one of those people who says "I spent the day at the spa" but all you got was a manicure? What a waste of a great on-board spa!

I'd hate to spend my lovely dinner muttering about that classless woman degrading my dining experience because she's wearing a tropical sundress on formal night. But of course, I'll applaud the Prada gown'ed femme fatale with a two year old who is running around taking food off any plate in sight. At least they were dressed right!

Judgement is an ugly thing, folks. Live your life to YOUR fullest satisfaction. Looking to others to satisfy your vacation dreams is the fastest way to disappointment.

FWIW, I'll be wearing a J Peterman cocktail gown, black silk and no jewelry. And I'll have a crying infant drooling on it and I'll be tired because I will have been on the track and hiking all day. The most important thing is to do what makes you happy! Those in capris are far more likely to have a fantastic trip than those worrying about the women who wore capris.

I'll bet there is a good graphic designer who worked pretty hard on this in Photoshop that is getting a HUGE laugh at this right now....:D

Nope - that's what she wore. I read a lot of his posts on the 'other' board. They are a swinging couple. The first pic was his avatar.

She got booted out of the dining room as people complained that they could see her buttocks.:rolleyes:

"Why won't you vacation EXACTLY LIKE ME??

Judgement is an ugly thing, folks. Live your life to YOUR fullest satisfaction. Looking to others to satisfy your vacation dreams is the fastest way to disappointment.

BRAVO!!!!! Well said... hopefully this should end my post... LOL!!!!!! (But probably not).

I love to dress up for dinner on cruises...thats the only time i do....last year on the granduer, on both formal nites, while we were waiting for the doors to open, there was this family of 4 that wore jeans and t-shirts....they were not turned away from the dining room....but i don't care what everyone is wearing....im there to eat and socialize with my family at our table...

Archived