Cuba (For those of you from Canada, UK and other places outside the US)

QueensChick

Hi there,

I read a reference from a Canadian cruise critic on another thread regarding cruises that stop in Havana, and are therefore unavailable to us here in the United States. It just got me wondering. Has anyone else experienced a port call in Cuba? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts and observations.

I have only been reading these boards since 2000 and i never heard of a ship going to Cuba. I know that when weather is ruff they sail that way but dont land. I'd be curious to hear other replies too.

Being UK citizens not subject to the US ban on travelling to Cuba, we spent a fascinating week there in March last year, and in Havana port was a ship called the A'rosa Blue, which used to be the Crown Princess and belongs to the A'rosa Group who have this and a couple of river cruisers. It is strictly targeted at German speakers.

Sekhmet

It's about time that the US government got over this thing about Cuba. It has been over 30 years since the Bay of Pigs thing. After all, the US deals with China and it is a communist country. I am a UK national but live in US. I am sure there are people that would like to vacation in Cuba, but can't because of the restrictions. It might be a bit 3rd world but there are some adventurous people out there.

Being UK citizens not subject to the US ban on travelling to Cuba, we spent a fascinating week there in March last year

Hi Sekhmet...

Did you enjoy your time there? What did you think of the island? What were the people like? Were the beaches & hotels nice? Is there a big tourism industry?

There is a very large tourism industry in Cuba.

You have to realize that everyone in the world with the exception of U.S. citizens can travel there. Havana is not the greatest of places however, Veradero is absolutely beautiful.

mcboo

Most Canadians who do any amount of travelling have gone to Cuba. It's an inexpensive vacation for us. A large Canadian travel company called Sunquest has a small number of cruise ships that were former RCI vessels. At least one cruises out of Havanna.

Beth

I have been to Cuba many times, and it is our favorite destination in all of the Caribbean. Yes, it is cheaper than most of the other destination spots, but that has never been a deciding factor for us when we book. Our daughter even got married there in June (30) of us went. We have been to Varadero, and Holguin. I prefer Holguin.......... we have always stayed at top resort, and paid between $1500. Cdn to $1900. Cdn (one week all inclusives) for any of the trips.

The Cuban people are warm friendly, well educated, wonderful people.

They truly are suffering from the Helms-Burton law. They have made tourism into a major industry over the next few years to help boost what little economy they have. It is a clean, safe holiday, and the country is BEAUTIFUL.

There are a few cruise lines that do go there. Sunquest as mentioned is one.

The ships are lower scale, and small. You would have to fly into Toronto, or drive up from Buffalo to fly down there to board. We have met lots of Americans in Cuba vacationing. They usually arrive via Toronto, Mexico or Jamaica.

I have yet to see Havana, but I understand it is AMAZING!! I can hardly wait.

You are able to visit as an American, but I understand that you have a problem when you get home regarding how much you spent there, (that's if you get caught!) Who would know if you fly out of Toronto? I have never had my passport stamped when I've arrived in Cuba

Cuba is a fascinating place to visit, partly because the way of life and culture are so different. Varadero, the main resort, is basically a long spit of land with good hotels, but largely cut off from the rest of the country - the only Cubans you are likely to meet there are working in the tourism industry.

Havana itself is well worth visiting - full of history and Spanish colonial buildings. If the city could be renovated properly, it would be a World Heritage site similar to Cartagena in Colombia. Cuba already has one WHS in Trinidad towards the east end, and it and Cienfuegos are both full of interest.

Havana also has extensive Ernest Hemingway connections, not least the famous Floridita bar where he enjoyed so many daiquiris!

Music is another reason for visiting - part of our group went to see the world famous Tropicana show, and the rest of us went to a tiny basement jazz club. Finally, if you're interested in steam railways as I am (working volunteer at my local 16 mile line), the Cuban sugar industry still has a few active examples left.

Hope this helps,

Sekhmet

It's about time that the US government got over this thing about Cuba. It has been over 30 years since the Bay of Pigs thing. After all, the US deals with China and it is a communist country. I am a UK national but live in US. I am sure there are people that would like to vacation in Cuba, but can't because of the restrictions. It might be a bit 3rd world but there are some adventurous people out there.

As long as the Cuban lobby is strong and the Republicans are in control, US travel will be restricted to Cuba. Hmmm....Castro's been there over 40 years....they should get over it already. If we opened the borders, that would do more to damage his government. Look what happened to the USSR in the 80's.

and have studied their history to some degree. I knew several Cuban families in Spain and found them to be very warm, friendly and intelligent. I also got to love their cuban food.

Someday, I hope the U.S. government recognizes the folly of their current policies and opens up greater relations with Cuba.

Someday . . .

There are some exceptions to the general travel ban for US citizens going to Cuba. You can check on the State Department's website I believe. But any one who wants to go there simply can do so from one of the many countries like Canada and Mexico which have direct flights there. The Cubans like Americans; especially when we bring dollars. They wish to avoid embarressing US citizens; so they do not stamp US passports. I have had friends who have been there and they like it very much.

Be very careful if you're an American and are planning to travel to Cuba through Canada. Several people have done this and have paid a very severe penalty for it. The US government does not take kindly to this sort of thing. Make sure you understand the consequences of your actions because they can be harsh.

Beth

I would love to visit Cuba, but I am afraid as an American that the fines for going there would not be worth it for me. I have found tour company`s in Canada that charge everything in American currency to your credit card. You buy a package vacation package that is all inclusive, so you are not paying for anything while in Cuba. I am really tempted, but I guess I will wait. I agree with others that have posted that I wish we would open up travel and trade with Cuba. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a couple of ships run by a charter company that stop in Havana. I think they are called the Sunbird and Sundream. I think I have seen them advertised in Canada. They usually leave from Barbados or Jamaica. They mostly carry Canadian and British tourists. What would stop an American booking the cruise from a Canadian travel agent? It is illegal for Americans to spend money in Cuba. Technically speaking, you would be paying the British company who owns the cruise line and you can say that you didn't spend any money in Cuba. I think you can also ask the Cuban immigration not to stamp your passport. How would the government know whether you got off the ship in Havana or not? Besides, what kind of a democracy is it when your government doesn't allow you the freedom to travel where you want to? The Canadian government can tax me to death and I won't complain, much, but it they ever told me that I couldn't travel to a certain country, that would really peeve me off.

As for Cuba, I really enjoyed my vacation there a couple of years ago and will definitely go again. I went to a resort at Cayo Coco which is a fantastic place to go if you just want to rest. There is very little to do there except to enjoy the fabulous beach. The place is absolutely spotless. What I enjoyed the most, being a single female traveller, was that I was able to walk the 3-mile long beach without even once being harassed by anyone trying to sell me anything (unlike most Caribbean countries). I felt totally safe walking around the resort at night by myself. I also enjoyed the variety of people visiting the resort. There were people from all over Europe and South America. It was a very nice mix without any group being a majority. I found the Cuban people who worked at the resort to be very hospitable. They are very knowledgeable about current events and very curious about their visitors. They are also very proud of their country.

I also don't understand the Americans' beef with Cuba. Why is it okay to trade with human right abusers like China and certain African and Middle East countries but keep the embargo on Cuba? Saudi Arabia is one of America's best buddies, but yet they treat women like dogs and democracy doesn't exist there at all. I believe that if the Cuban embargo was lifted a long time ago, Castro would be long gone. The more you expose Communist countries to capitalism, the quicker communism will fall. I think Communist Europe is a good example. Most of the Americans I've met while travelling have expressed their desire to visit Cuba.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion. I hope Americans who want to go to Cuba, will get a chance soon. Castro can't live forever!

I don't know if you saw the news reports a few months ago about a US woman who travelled to Cuba through Canada. The American government has fined her tens of thousands of dollars for that trip. I'm not saying an American shouldn't go. But for heaven's sake, make sure you know the ramifications first.

Beth

Sunbird and Sundream are smallish, oldish ships owned by a British tour operator called Airtours (I think - our main tour operators seem to change names pretty regularly), who started off basically doing European fly-cruises to complement their existing fly-stay holidays.

Just out of curiosity, whilst I am well aware of the history behind the original US embargo on Cuban economic contact, can anyone enlighten me and others on what the administration says is the reason for this still being in force?

Archived