2- day at sea

3- Day at sea

4- Colon 7am-5pm

5- Limon Casta Rica 7am-3pm

6- Day at Sea

7- Belize 7am-4pm

8- at Sea

9- Ft. Lauderdale

I have always wanted to see the canal. There is an exursion "kayaking on the canal" that looks very interesting to me. After reading the boards I am not sure if we should go ahead with this itenery or save up the time and money for a 14 day that goes through thw canal. Any opinions?

We are looking at this cruise as well. Like you, I always pictured a cruise through the canal, and I am sure I will someday. Those cruises are a bit too long right now.

I have read there is a ferry that takes passengers through part of the canal, in the locks. I don't think it is at the Gatun locks, though, which are closest to Colon. But apparently it can be done in a day trip.

I think seeing the locks up close from land, and visiting the forts and other historic attractions would have a lot of appeal as opposed to sailing throught the canal and not leaving the ship.

We are looking at this cruise as well. Like you, I always pictured a cruise through the canal, and I am sure I will someday. Those cruises are a bit too long right now.

When are you thinking of going?

You may want to consider a 10 day R/T out of Miami. These trips enter the Canal and transit Gatun Locks. Once the ships clears Gatun, passenger may disembark for a wide variety of tours which include transiting the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. Going through Gatun on a large ship and then going through the Pacific Locks on a smaller vessel can give a unique perspective on the Canal.

Hi Nicole!

You’re right, there are generally two types of Canal cruises.

The roundtrip, mostly Fort Lauderdale, trips go through the first set of locks into Gatun Lake and disembark guests for Panama shore excursions, and then those guests are picked up in Colon after the ship makes it’s way back through Gatun Locks. You experience Gatun Locks, and frankly, the locks on the Pacific side are pretty much the same process.

You will miss sailing through the entire Canal and sailing through Gaillard Cut and under the Centennial Bridge and Bridge of the Americas. BUT, you will have the opportunity to get off the ship at Gatun Lake and explore part of Panama. I recommend doing that since the trip back through Gatun Locks is the same thing as you experience in the morning coming into the Canal.

Most of the transcanal, generally repositioning cruises, just barrel through the Canal without providing the opportunity to get off and see Panama. There are some exceptions. So on the complete Canal cruise you see the entire Canal, but generally have no opportunity to see Panama.

On the partial transit there is a shore excursion offered on a ferry boat that does take you through the rest of the Canal including Gaillard Cut, under both bridges, and out along Amador Peninsula. Then you take a bus back to the Caribbean side to rejoin your ship.

I answer this and a lot of other questions about the Panama trip on a special Cruising Q&A page on my blog http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/qa-for-cruisers/ if you're interested.

Regards, Richard

I believe OP is looking at the Carnival Miracle's Western Caribbean itinerary. We just returned. The ship's tour is around $180 per person. It was a 2 hour drive to Panama City, where the ferry trip begins. The ferry actually went through both the Miraflores and Gatun locks. We were right up against the wall at Gatun and could actually touch it. Because the ferry is so much smaller than a cruise ship, I would think it would be a little more awe-inspiring. We got stuck behind a large freighter at the Gatun locks so had to wait for at least half an hour, causing us to be late in getting back to the ship. We thought Carnival could end the excursion after the first set of two locks. This was enough to give you an idea of how they work. DH, DS17 and I liked the excursion. DD16 and DD13 got very bored.

I really appreciate all of the comments and help. This actual cruise does not enter the locks, I would have to do that through an excursion. I think I will see what other cruises are out there that may enter. But because of your advice I don't think I will save up the time and money for a cruise that goes all the way through. If anyone has any opinion on actual cruises I should look at I would appreciate it. I love these boards!!!! Thank You Thank You Thank YOU!!!!

We did a 10 day r/t fort lauderdale on the Coral Princess, the ship did go through the first set of locks then anchored in gatun lake for several hours, and then went back through the locks. We chose not to do an excursion(good thing it was pouring), but just watch the process from the ship. The long and short of ut is that seeing one set of locks was enough and we were glad we didn't book the full transit. Hope this helps.

Archived