Leaving the ship before Final Destination

Hello,

We are scheduled to take a four night cruise next January 5 to Nassau, CocoCay and Key West. We would like to get off the ship for good and stay in Key West on our last day, flying home from there. We figure if one can miss the ship unintentionally, we can do it intentionally as well. Our question: should we notify the cruise ship that we will not be returning? Any sage words of advice from someone who has done this before? Thanks!

Christine and Karl

I don't think it can be legally done. I forgot what the act is called but someone a couple of years ago ran into the problem only on the start of the cruise. She missed the ship and wanted to board in key west and they wouldn't let her.

Because you will undoubtedly be bringing all of your things off the ship with you, it's considered disembarking! It's not at all like "missing the ship"!

You should call the cruiseline and see where they stand on this! Or, call Customs--they have something to do with this sort of thing!

I don't think it can be legally done. I forgot what the act is called but someone a couple of years ago ran into the problem only on the start of the cruise. She missed the ship and wanted to board in key west and they wouldn't let her.

I think it's different when you're trying to get on then when you're trying to get off.

I thought I read about this somewhere and I do believe you can do this. I will try to find where I read this and re-post later.

Hello,

We are scheduled to take a four night cruise next January 5 to Nassau, CocoCay and Key West. We would like to get off the ship for good and stay in Key West on our last day, flying home from there. We figure if one can miss the ship unintentionally, we can do it intentionally as well. Our question: should we notify the cruise ship that we will not be returning? Any sage words of advice from someone who has done this before? Thanks!

Christine and Karl

Unfortunately you are going to encounter something called the PVSA which prevents you from boarding a cruise in Miami and ending the cruise in Key West.

Unfortunately you are going to encounter something called the PVSA which prevents you from boarding a cruise in Miami and ending the cruise in Key West.

Can you explain this? Seems weird people can get "left" at port but they can't disembark.

:)

We are taking the Navigator Transatlantic 12apr08, FLL to Barcelona. We are disembarking in Cadiz. This is the email address I received from Crown & Anchor.

airseagfo@rccl.com

I emailed them explaining our plans, our reservation #, and our C&A #. They require that you request more than 2 weeks prior to sailing. We received a one word reply within 48 hours.

"Approved"

We printed it out and will take it to guest relations when we are on board, just in case they did not get notified.

Can you explain this? Seems weird people can get "left" at port but they can't disembark.

If they get left at Key West, then RCCL still gets hit with the fine. The passenger may not know about it until RCCL passes it onto them.

The difference with the OP is they will get stopped when they try to disembark with all their luggage if they try to just "miss" the ship. The fine used to be $300 but friends that just returned from a Princess cruise reported that the fine has been raised to $5,300 per person.

We are taking the Navigator Transatlantic 12apr08, FLL to Barcelona. We are disembarking in Cadiz. This is the email address I received from Crown & Anchor.

The difference between your cruise and what the OP wants to do is you will be disembarking in a foreign port. The OP wants to disembark in a US port.

The PVSA doesn't apply to your cruise because it ends in a foreign port.

Because the OP's cruise begins and ends in the US, the PVSA applies. The roundtrip Miami cruises are okay because the PVSA just requires that those cruises make a stop in a foreign port. BUT the OP's problem is that by disembarking in Key West it becomes a one way cruise between 2 different US ports. For those cruises, the PVSA requires a stop at a distant foreign. Nassau and CocoCay do NOT count as distant foreign ports. So the OP's planned itinerary would violate the PVSA and RCCL cannot knowingly allow them to violate this law.

If they get left at Key West, then RCCL still gets hit with the fine. The passenger may not know about it until RCCL passes it onto them.

The difference with the OP is they will get stopped when they try to disembark with all their luggage if they try to just "miss" the ship. The fine used to be $300 but friends that just returned from a Princess cruise reported that the fine has been raised to $5,300 per person.

The difference between your cruise and what the OP wants to do is you will be disembarking in a foreign port. The OP wants to disembark in a US port.

The PVSA doesn't apply to your cruise because it ends in a foreign port.

Because the OP's cruise begins and ends in the US, the PVSA applies. The roundtrip Miami cruises are okay because the PVSA just requires that those cruises make a stop in a foreign port. BUT the OP's problem is that by disembarking in Key West it becomes a one way cruise between 2 different US ports. For those cruises, the PVSA requires a stop at a distant foreign. Nassau and CocoCay do NOT count as distant foreign ports. So the OP's planned itinerary would violate the PVSA and RCCL cannot knowingly allow them to violate this law.

Wrona.........I'm so glad that you passed your bar exam!!

Your knowledge of maritime law helps keep us informed of what is legal, or not. Thanks!!:)

Rick

Archived