no eastern med cruises

davecttr

I have been browsing the P&O web site and note that there is an almost complete lack of eastern med and Greek Island destinations, probably because of the long transit times from Southampton? There are fly cruises in the Caribean so why not the med? I am not keen on flying (fear of death!) so only UK based cruises are suitable. I would be happy taking the train to somewhere like Marseille which is easy using Eurostar/TGV with a 6-7 hour transit time and the cruise line would gain the benefit of a LOT more flexibility in destination choice and considerable fuel savings. So what is the reason for P&O missing out on this opportunity?

I assume that it's the cruise duration. I think Aurora is doing a number of 16 night cruises (17 nights in one case) to that area, with Arcadia doing a couple, I think, and Ventura perhaps doing one. These look like interesting cruises, especially the ones that *don't* go all the way to Venice, but as you say they only don't really explore the Aegean.

I've cruised there in summer 2006 & summer 2007, on Celebrity's Galaxy, and I have to say I love the area. Mykonos is pretty much my idea of paradise. In fact we've just booked again on Celebrity Solstice for autumn 2009 because we want to go back, and the P&O cruises don't cover it enough detail - we will have calls at Santorini (afternoon & evening!), Mykonos, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Rhodes & Athens, plus Naples. Also that's in the context of it being an 11-night cruise, not a 16 or 17-night cruise, with pricing to match.

I have just had a similar problem. I have been to most of the normal Med ports, so wanted something a bit further east. As Tom states, you need one of the 16 or 17 nighters on Aurora as it takes quite a while to get down to somewhere like the Greek Isles. With P&O the longer cruises start to get very expensive (c. £2,500 each for balcony).

Although we much prefer to cruise down there rather than fly (wife hates flying), we did not want to spend 2/3 days getting there and 2/3 days back in what might not be fantastic weather (1st day anyway).

So we have chosen Celebrity (c. £1,400 each for balcony) for next year which means we will have to fly to Rome but at least it is only a short hop from UK unlike the flight to Oceana in the Caribbean last year which was a nightmare (300 passengers crammed in to a plane designed for 200 for 9 hours, I think they call it chartered!).

I suspect we may have the same ports of call as Tom as we are on the new Solstice too, just a bit earlier in the year (May 25th).

We are also in a similar position.. We would like to go the eastern med and although we are yet to go on our first pando the more we hear the more I think we are going to like them. We really don't want to go from Southampton and spend x no of days getting to the warm weather. That price for a balcony seems really good for Celebrity. I think I will have to look a bit closer in that direction.

Interestingly we received an invitation to complete a questionnaire by OV who do cruise out of the med. They were investigating changing to cruising out of the UK?

Ah!, thanks for the encouraging replies. Celebrity certainly looks as if it will fit the bill as far as intinery is concerned. Going solo is more expensive but what the heck, you only live once. As for flying I googled trains to Rome and you can depart from London mid afternoon and arrive in Rome about 9.30 next morning, travelling via sleeper from Paris, or I could fly if I could be unconcious in a packing case:D

Now I will attempt to calculate the relative cost of catching the train versus cruising from Southampton.

What ports did you want to visit?

I am doing the Eastern Med 16n cruise on Arcadia 4 weeks today and the balcony price was a lot less than £2,500pp on opening day more like £1950pp (+ free carparking worth £140 and £150 obc)

(it finished at £2500PP by edition 4 brochure and then sold out a couple of months ago)

We visit Split, Corfu, Dubrovenik, VENICE, Cephalonia, Cadiz inbound and Gib outbound....

I don't mind the 3 days at sea - you have to do this anyway on a Med and Canaries cruise ?? MY mum-in-law sailed on Aurora yesterday (Sunday) to Med and her 1st port isn't until Thursday !

Sue:cool:

tickets came today - yeeeeeeee ha !!!

I do want to see Athens, Santorini, Ephasus etc which pando don't visit which is a pity as I would like to stick to British!. Celebrity do have a cruise from Rome which ticks all the destination boxes at approx £2100 for 10 nights solo plus the return train fare to Rome of approx £500 which at an approx price of £2600 is less than the pando single supplement rates.

I still hope to take in a couple of pando cruises next year, perhaps a biggy to the baltic and a taster to Spain or perhaps the Canaries which I would really like to visit before half of it falls into the sea:eek:

Actually I would like to visit lots of places and 2 cruises a year would see me OK until I am 65 when if fit enough I would like to try a round the world, I should be a experienced cruiser by then:)

Hi We always go P&O and we have been to Euphasus, the Port is Kushadasi (sorry about the spelling) Athens Santorini Yalta (Ukraine beautiful) Istanbul, Odessa. Unless P&O have changed their itinery as sometimes they go back to past ports. I think they try to have a change every now and again. They always went up the Bosphorus it was stunning. Try asking them. We always go from Southampton perhaps we should try going from Rome if you can get to Rome on a train thanks for that

Hi We always go P&O and we have been to Euphasus, the Port is Kushadasi (sorry about the spelling) Athens Santorini Yalta (Ukraine beautiful) Istanbul, Odessa. Unless P&O have changed their itinery as sometimes they go back to past ports. I think they try to have a change every now and again. They always went up the Bosphorus it was stunning. Try asking them. We always go from Southampton perhaps we should try going from Rome if you can get to Rome on a train thanks for that

Well, checking my P&O 2008 brochure, I see that there is one cruise that does the E Med and the Black Sea. It's cruise P812 on Artemis, departing Southampton on 1 September, and lasting for 25 nights!

I think that's the problem, for me at least - too long, and (by definition) too expensive. So I shall cruise with P&O for some cruises, and other lines - probably Celebrity - for other cruises.

What ports did you want to visit?

I am doing the Eastern Med 16n cruise on Arcadia 4 weeks today and the balcony price was a lot less than £2,500pp on opening day more like £1950pp (+ free carparking worth £140 and £150 obc)

(it finished at £2500PP by edition 4 brochure and then sold out a couple of months ago)

We visit Split, Corfu, Dubrovenik, VENICE, Cephalonia, Cadiz inbound and Gib outbound....

I don't mind the 3 days at sea - you have to do this anyway on a Med and Canaries cruise ?? MY mum-in-law sailed on Aurora yesterday (Sunday) to Med and her 1st port isn't until Thursday !

Sue:cool:

tickets came today - yeeeeeeee ha !!!

Hi Sue, I think Artemis maybe cheaper than Aurora as it has more balcony cabins available. We have just this week looked at Aurora for May next year and we cannot justify the premium of £1,000 each. We are fairly commited to P&O (4 cruises in past 4 years with them) but we are open to other lines if we feel they meet or exceed the standards set by P&O. As for 3 days at sea, I agree I like them too, just on this occasion don't want to pay £1k extra for them!

We also have now done so many of the Med ports that it is getting difficult to find new ones. Certainly I have found that P&O just keep going to the same ports all the time so once you have done a few Med cruises with them, you have to move to another cruise line if you want variety. That quite possibly applies to all cruise lines, but we have only experienced P&O in the Med so far.

Cheers

Gerry

Hi Roley,

P&O still have their Black Sea cruise each year late September 18 nights on either Oriana or Aurora.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Roley,

P&O still have their Black Sea cruise each year late September 18 nights on either Oriana or Aurora.

Dai

Hmmm, c. £2.7k for cheapest balcony. Half that price if you fly down there (although a shorter holiday).

And the first 2 days and last 2 days could be quite rough at that time of the year.

G

I don't want to get into any silly "cruise-line [insert Name here] is better than them!", and indeed having not yet cruised with P&O (roll on May 31st...) I genuinely can't make any comparisons. Nor can I make comparisons between American lines: we've only been on Celebrity.

But like, I imagine, everyone else I'm looking for value for money. This year I'm happy that our P&O cruises will offer that - 4 nights in traditional style on Oriana, and 12 nights perhaps less traditional on Ventura. But when I got next year's prices from various on-line TAs I was a bit taken aback. I was looking at nearly £1100 pp for a 7 night fjords cruise on Oceana (balcony cabin); that seemed to be a lot. Then the Celebrity information came out, and I've got an 11-night fly-cruise on a new ship, balcony cabin, for less than £1350 pp, including flights to/from Rome. That does seem like vfm, so that's why we're going. (I could have had it for £1150 cruise-only, in fact, but flights includes transfers which at Rome/Civitavecchia can be a hassle otherwise.) Admittedly it's at the very end of the season (definitely into autumn, in fact) but that might be preferable than last year when we fried in 100-degree temperatures in late June / early July.

As regards Celebrity as a cruise line, as I say I can't yet compare them with P&O. They're certainly very american, in the best possible way: we met nothing but polite, friendly people on our two cruises on Galaxy. In any case we try to be 'glass half full' people, we try not to look for problems, and we're still very destination-focused. For us, a vfm cruise to the E Med is what we want, and we feel that in 2009 Celebrity can provide that better than P&O.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that x is better than y and apologies if you got that impression.

In fact for me, I slightly prefer P&O over Celebrity but I have trouble justifying their 2009 prices. I have not had that justification problem before!

So anyway, I am looking forward to Solstice in 2009 in a way that I am possibly not with Ventura this July, probably because I have done P&O many times.

G

GerryM said:

So anyway, I am looking forward to Solstice in 2009.....

Gerry, I blogged from Galaxy last summer, here:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/category/galaxy-2007/

Obviously the ship will be different in 2009, but Solstice's itineraries in 2009 will be same as Galaxy's in 2007 (and 2008, come to that), so the blog - which I did from a 10-night cruise - might have some applicability to 2009.

GerryM said:

Gerry, I blogged from Galaxy last summer, here:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/category/galaxy-2007/

Obviously the ship will be different in 2009, but Solstice's itineraries in 2009 will be same as Galaxy's in 2007 (and 2008, come to that), so the blog - which I did from a 10-night cruise - might have some applicability to 2009.

Brilliant, thanks for that Tom

Hmmm, c. £2.7k for cheapest balcony. Half that price if you fly down there (although a shorter holiday).

And the first 2 days and last 2 days could be quite rough at that time of the year.

G

Hi Gerrym,

2 points.

1. It is the long voyage that we enjoy and on this cruise we would have 12 sea days out of 18 which is perfect. If we were to take the plane to the Med then there would be far more ports in the 10 cruise and fewer sea days. Not good.

2. If you look at the cost of cruising in the US you will find it is far cheaper than for us in the UK. Perhaps this is the Americans exporting there cheap cruises to us. This is the first year I can remember Celebrity being so much cheaper than P&O and yet it is generally perceived to be slightly better quality than P&O. (Although this can be subjective)

Dai

Hi Gerrym,

2 points.

1. It is the long voyage that we enjoy and on this cruise we would have 12 sea days out of 18 which is perfect. If we were to take the plane to the Med then there would be far more ports in the 10 cruise and fewer sea days. Not good.

2. If you look at the cost of cruising in the US you will find it is far cheaper than for us in the UK. Perhaps this is the Americans exporting there cheap cruises to us. This is the first year I can remember Celebrity being so much cheaper than P&O and yet it is generally perceived to be slightly better quality than P&O. (Although this can be subjective)

Dai

I agree with your point 1, absolutely. We have taken a crusie on Oceana (16 nights) where we look forward to the voyage down there and the numerous sea days. This time we are seeking something different, I dont want to go to Cadiz or Lisbon or Vigo or Palma, etc. again.

No right or wrong answer, just different requirements.

On your point 2, I am not sure Celebrity is cheaper than P&O, don't forget we are not comparing apples with apples. I personally think Celeb has a slight edge over P&O (in terms of quality) but there is something subjective about that which I cannot quite put my finger on and I would still have a hard choice deciding between the 2! I think I would just pick the best itnerary and go with that, as we have done so for next May.

As I have said in a previous post, I am not alluding to the fact that one is better than the other, it is just that one will probably be better suited to you based on your requirments of a cruise. If Celeb and P&O had exactly the same itinerary on exactly the same date for the same money, it would be a very tough choice for a lot of people.

Cheers

Gerry

If you dont like flying then you have to go everywhere from a starting point in England so perhaps P&O know this hence the dearer cruise prices. But still that is our choice but as my hubby says we could always hit you over the head and when you wake up you will be there!!!!! I wish;)

Talking of Celebrity, I was very excited:p , to see the brand new EQUINOX wasgoing to do a 7n Norway cruise at the end of July 09...a chance to try another cruiseline, on a brand new ship as well.... then within days of it being advertised this cruise was withdrawn... I think it was Equinox 1st cruise, and she is delayed... a real shame, as she isn't doing that cruise again in 09 nor any other celebrity ship from Soton....

So my choices are Oceana, Artemis or Queen Vic.... Artemis was very very dear...£1,500 pp for 7n in a lowest grade stateroom, no I don't think so...

Sue

We are doing the Eastern Med to Istanbul, Athens, Santorini etc. in September. 25 nights.

We are now also looking at doing Cairo in 2009, also some Greek Islands and if you go through a Travel agent, you will save £2K on P&O prices. I've been quoted that.

I do want to see Athens, Santorini, Ephasus etc which pando don't visit which is a pity as I would like to stick to British!. Celebrity do have a cruise from Rome which ticks all the destination boxes at approx £2100 for 10 nights solo plus the return train fare to Rome of approx £500 which at an approx price of £2600 is less than the pando single supplement rates.

I still hope to take in a couple of pando cruises next year, perhaps a biggy to the baltic and a taster to Spain or perhaps the Canaries which I would really like to visit before half of it falls into the sea:eek:

Actually I would like to visit lots of places and 2 cruises a year would see me OK until I am 65 when if fit enough I would like to try a round the world, I should be a experienced cruiser by then:)

Davetheroad,

If you are interested in doing places like Ephesus then there are one or 2 cruises that visit there but not until later in the year.

Aurora R917 (November 17th) is an 18 night cruise covering the same itinerary that I am doing this year on Oriana which is called Classical Lands. Alternatively (and a lot longer) is Oriana X918 (October 22nd) a 25 night cruise which calls at many Eastern Mediterannean ports in Greece, Tuirkey and Italy.

I do agree that there are far too few cruises taking in the Eastern Mediterranean next year and there seem to be too many that do the 'usual suspect' destinations of Canary Islands and traditional Med ports such as Civitavecchia and Barcelona.

Feebee_71 :)

Archived