Flights from the uk

JDBD

Hi flying from Manchester uk to Miami on Sat 19th of April with American Airlines. Anybody any info on what this Airline are like and how big the seat pitch is, I am ok but one of our party is over 6ft.

Thaks for any info you can give me

Looking forward to getting on the CB on the 20th April

We just took a San Francisco/Miami flight on American.

They used to be better than they are now - but that seems true of all airlines.

Seat spacing in Economy was tight, about 19" pitch. I am 6-2, so most seating except Business or 1st Class is tight for me.

I would say AA is mediocre, along with most of the airlines today.

I don't know if it is available to you, but we have had very good luck with Virgin Airlines, when we have flown to London. I'd certainly place Virgin above both British Air and American Airlines.

We just took a San Francisco/Miami flight on American.

They used to be better than they are now - but that seems true of all airlines.

Seat spacing in Economy was tight, about 19" pitch. I am 6-2, so most seating except Business or 1st Class is tight for me.

I would say AA is mediocre, along with most of the airlines today.

I don't know if it is available to you, but we have had very good luck with Virgin Airlines, when we have flown to London. I'd certainly place Virgin above both British Air and American Airlines.

19" seat pitch is rubbish..!! Even charter and no frills carriers have an industry minimum of 28".

For the record, the official listing on AA is 33-35" as shown on Skytrax whereas BA are 31" and VS 30-31". All depend of course upon the equipment used.

I am 6'3" and AA are one of the very few airlines that I will endure in economy. I recently flew with them in economy to JFK and there was sufficient leg room... Certainly more than BA, let alone VS.

JBDB.... are you giong via Chicago? if so then are you aware that you have to collect your bags at Chicago and then take them to a baggage store for onward transport to Miami on your 2nd aircraft. though i believe from previous posters on CC that you will clear US customs at Chicago and so will be able to collect your bags and go at Miami.

Hi flying from Manchester uk to Miami on Sat 19th of April with American Airlines. Anybody any info on what this Airline are like and how big the seat pitch is, I am ok but one of our party is over 6ft.

Thaks for any info you can give me

Looking forward to getting on the CB on the 20th April

Do you know what type of plane? If so, go to seatguru.com and you will find out everything you need to know about the plane.

We travel on AA all the time across the Atlantic and think they are a really good airline - try to get seats in Row 31 A and B or the other side of the aircraft but still Row 31- as these are emergency exit ones and bags of leg room. I know that these are generally saved for elite AA Advantage members, however try phoning and explaining your height, you never know your luck.

OK - perhaps my "19inch pitch" is incorrect. Whatever the correct number is, the lack of knee room surprised me, as one of AA's advertising pitches used to be that they had more legroom in coach (economy) than their competitors.

That just was not the case on the aircraft we were on 3-22-08 - it was much tighter than we experienced on Lufthansa on 4-5-08, Munich to San Francisco.

OK - perhaps my "19inch pitch" is incorrect. Whatever the correct number is, the lack of knee room surprised me, as one of AA's advertising pitches used to be that they had more legroom in coach (economy) than their competitors.

That just was not the case on the aircraft we were on 3-22-08 - it was much tighter than we experienced on Lufthansa on 4-5-08, Munich to San Francisco.

The reason for the much smaller seat pitch your encountered on AA (probably 30") is that you were on a domestic sector where they do not have to compete so vigourously as other domestic carriers will offer the same. Whereas you flew LH on an international sector where the average seat pitch is 33".

Just to clear up how seat pitch is measured, it is the distance from the face of your seat back to the rear of the seat back in front of you.

JBDB.... are you giong via Chicago? if so then are you aware that you have to collect your bags at Chicago and then take them to a baggage store for onward transport to Miami on your 2nd aircraft. though i believe from previous posters on CC that you will clear US customs at Chicago and so will be able to collect your bags and go at Miami.

The first point of entry into the US will require immigration (passport check), THEN Customs (luggage check). Does not matter whether that first point of entry is Chicago, NYC, Los Angles, Atlanta, etc., etc.

After you have cleared immigration, you will walk to the luggage arrival area. When you retrieve your luggage, take your PROPERLY FILLED OUT form (given to you on the plane) and luggage through Customs. Right after Customs will be the "in transit" desks for the airlines. You will hand your bags BACK to the airline at that point. VERY similar to the UK, with an onward flight to the Continent.

You then find your new gate/terminal, GO BACK through the security line, and board your plane.

OK AA's advertising pitches used to be that they had more legroom in coach (economy) than their competitors.

AA put seats back into planes about 2+ years ago and disbanded "more room through coach". Passengers will NOT willing to pay a slight premium (it was about $10.00pp) for "more room through coach".

Once again, the American traveling public torpedoed themselves. Everyone wants ONLY cheap fares. They could care less about food, seat pitch or service. Greyhound of the Skies is what we now have.

We were on american from manchester to miami via chicago in feb the seat pitch in the 767 in economy is 33", you do not get the same perks as ba ie; free wine and alcohol you get free coffee and tea though and soft drinks, the change in chicago is a breeze you clear customs,collect your bags drop them at a drop off point and you are on the 757 to miami in one and a half hours.

This saves clearing customs in miami which can be up to 2 hours at peak times, have a great cruise.

AA put seats back into planes about 2+ years ago and disbanded "more room through coach". Passengers will NOT willing to pay a slight premium (it was about $10.00pp) for "more room through coach".

Once again, the American traveling public torpedoed themselves. Everyone wants ONLY cheap fares. They could care less about food, seat pitch or service. Greyhound of the Skies is what we now have.

That's exacly right... The people complain about the fare and then shoot themselves in the foot. You just wait till you get airlines like Easyjet & Ryanair in the US, then people will wish they'd stuck with what they had.

They might look cheap on the internet but once you add on all the extras, many of which you can't do without, they're often more expesive than your traditional scheduled carriers.

Glad to hear that transferring flight is not a problem, we fly out on United Airlines to San Diego via Chicago from London Heathrow (not terminal 5 luckily) on 17/04 and were quite concerned about the luggage and security, we have 1 and 50 mins between landing and catching connecting flights, United have said no problems, my only concern is we have to change terminals at Chicago - anyone offer any advise.

Glad to hear that transferring flight is not a problem, we fly out on United Airlines to San Diego via Chicago from London Heathrow (not terminal 5 luckily) on 17/04 and were quite concerned about the luggage and security, we have 1 and 50 mins between landing and catching connecting flights, United have said no problems, my only concern is we have to change terminals at Chicago - anyone offer any advise.

We had to change terminal also but it was no problem, you do not get much time for a look round the airport but when you have seen one you have seen them all.

You will clear customs then collect your bags then drop of th.e bags then you get on a monorail train to the next terminal all within an hour then just wait till you board. happy cruising

JPRLHR....That's exacly right... The people complain about the fare and then shoot themselves in the foot. You just wait till you get airlines like Easyjet & Ryanair in the US, then people will wish they'd stuck with what they had.

They might look cheap on the internet but once you add on all the extras, many of which you can't do without, they're often more expesive than your traditional scheduled carriers.

JPRLHR.....I have to take issue with you over Ryanair..we have flown with them on many occasions to places such as Palma and Sweden and every time the price requested on the internet was the price we paid. OK so they do not have meals but drinks and snacks can be bought onboard....where else and with whom can you travel to Sweden for £64 for 2 people return?? we were there recently and went with S.A.S. which cost almost £200 return for 2 people and booked over 2 months in advance.

So im sure if Ryanair were to fly to the USA many people would book with them.

We will be flying with BA via LHR later in the year and the luggage will be transferred direct to the LHR to Miami flight due to having a through ticket.

JPRLHR....That's exacly right... The people complain about the fare and then shoot themselves in the foot. You just wait till you get airlines like Easyjet & Ryanair in the US, then people will wish they'd stuck with what they had.

JPRLHR.....I have to take issue with you over Ryanair..we have flown with them on many occasions to places such as Palma and Sweden and every time the price requested on the internet was the price we paid. OK so they do not have meals but drinks and snacks can be bought onboard....where else and with whom can you travel to Sweden for £64 for 2 people return?? we were there recently and went with S.A.S. which cost almost £200 return for 2 people and booked over 2 months in advance.

So im sure if Ryanair were to fly to the USA many people would book with them.

We will be flying with BA via LHR later in the year and the luggage will be transferred direct to the LHR to Miami flight due to having a through ticket.

It depends if you're able to travel with cabin baggage only. If not then you have to pay for your checked baggage too and there's no allowance for the fact that you may not return with that checked baggage, they automatically charge for the return leg. Then, because you're checking in a bag you can't take advantage of online check-in so they levy a surcharge for check-in at the desk. That's real bummer if there's two people travelling and only one suitcase is to be checked in... Is one person

really going to check-in from home and the other at the airport ..?? No, so you pay 2 x check-in surcharges.

I hate the scrum for seats at boarding but the only way to avoid it is to pay for the priority boarding. They also charge a booking fee for using a debit card..!!

As for service, you can't compare Ryanair with SAS. They usually don't even fly into an airport that's near the city of supposed destination. Take Stockholm for instance. Ryanair fly into Vasteras which is over 100 kms from Stockholm.

I guess it's what suits each person but I'd rather pay more for a scheduled carrier from/to a major airport.

you can also fly to Skavsta with Ryanair but i guess it depends where you are flying from? this is about 1 hour drive from Stockholm and only a short time by train...even flying to Arlanda with S.A.S is around 1 hour drive to Stockholm but a short time by train....Vasteras is further north so i guess you would have to fly from Luton. I agree with you about the luggage and checking it in etc but most of the Charter airlines now charge for an extra 5 kgs of luggage so they are all at it in some way even i believe United in the states.

I would be MORE than willing to pay $10 for some additional leg room. My knees are always into the seat in front of me and then when that person puts their seat back - UGH!

I live in the Dallas area so American is pretty much it. I was upset when they put the seats back.

Flew AA from Heathrow to St Thomas last October. It was not good:( The plane was really old and scruffy and the food was inedible:( Have to say the legroom was ok but definitely not as good as BA. On the return flight we were sent seemingly all over the US - from St Thomas to San Juan, San Juan to New York and then New York to Heathrow. Again food inedible:( In AA's favour they did credit me with some airmiles but I don't think I will be flying with them again, unless they are the only airline servicing a particular route.

For all their failures at the present time, BA usually take some beating and it is relatively inexpensive to upgrade to World Traveller Plus which makes a big difference on long haul flights. IMHO the best airline I have travelled with recently is Singapore Airlines - they are in a different league to most of the rest. Flying Thomsonfly to Barbados on Saturday, so watch this space:eek:

We flew AA in Feb we usually take three pieces of hold luggage but as I had a injured leg and hubby had an injured shoulder:eek: we used two cases and had to pay $100 excess baggage going and $50 on our return we were 3lbs over weight going and 5lbs on the return, didn’t mind the cost just had difficult with the calculation of costs so beware use four cases they are red hot on the weight allowance for hold luggage.

Contact AA and confirm your seats both outbound and return, when we returned as the flight was overbooked we were waited listed offered $800 each and a hotel for the night which would have been great except they couldn’t guarantee we would get on the plane the next day. Eight people we waiting from the day before to get on our plane. I am a little ashamed to say we only got on the plane after I caused a monumental fuss and they offered four people who had already boarded over $1000 each to get off, it meant we were scattered around the plane from front to back. It was horrid.

The flight was okish the food made BA look good and the onboard entertainment was old. You have to pay for drinks even wine to have with dinner; personally this didn’t bother me as my ankle swell if I drink.:(

The cabin crew were very very polite BA could take a leaf from the AA training manual

Can't agree about the politeness of the crew on AA - but I suppose it depends on what crew you have - ours were a bit couldn't care less on both long haul flights. Our return flight from New York was also seriously overbooked, as was the one from San Juan. We refused the inducement at San Juan as we did not want to be stuck there overnight but we nearly took them up on the leg from New York - they were offering $500. a hotel room and a guaranteed seat the next day. However, we had second thoughts and it was just as well because we found out that among those waiting for a seat to become available were quite a few who had taken the inducement the previous day and were still waiting for a flight to the UK and it was then nearly midnight!!

Our return flight from New York was also seriously overbooked, as was the one from San Juan. We refused the inducement at San Juan as we did not want to be stuck there overnight but we nearly took them up on the leg from New York - they were offering $500. a hotel room and a guaranteed seat the next day. However, we had second thoughts and it was just as well because we found out that among those waiting for a seat to become available were quite a few who had taken the inducement the previous day and were still waiting for a flight to the UK and it was then nearly midnight!!

It’s so wrong they do this, When we returned home I spoke to our agent who said the seats should have been confirmed by Princess as we were a block booking so I have written to Princess to enquire why they didn’t do what they are supposed to it has taken them three weeks to acknowledge my letter. This was our 9th cruise with Princess and I have nothing but compliments for the cruise staff but the shore staff are a different kettle of fish. I haven’t written to gain compensation but an explanation would be nice as I really caused a fuss in the airport not quite a celebrity standard but very British.;)

It is a big airport and there is quite an underground walk between the International and Domestic terminals but 1hr 50 min should be OK, just as long as immigration is flowing smoothly. One good thing about transfer flights in the US, no matter how short the connection time they almost always seem to get your luggage to your domestic connection, maybe BA/BAA should investigate how they manage it!!:rolleyes:

Archived