suggestions for Ensenada?

Planning excursions for upcoming Baja cruise on Monarch. Interested in doing a day at a beach, or something like that. Have considered winery tour, but haven't read about anyone else's experiences with that one. Would really like to hear from people about their experiences in that port so we can review our options. "Folkloric" shows have been ruled out by hubby, by the bye.

La Bufadora can be fun if you haven't seen a blow hole before, but I'm in agreement with your husband regarding the folkloric show. As for beaches, the time of year that you're cruising may dictate the feasibility. Also, I'm not sure that Ensenada is know for its beaches.

Several have raved about the wine tasting tour, which seems reasonably priced considering what it covers. There's always shopping, but that'll only take an hour or two unless you stop at every cantina along the way. Of course, if you do that you might miss the ship.

I've been tempted to do the Foxploration studios I go by there every month when I'm down that way, but never have gotten around to it. We considered doing it last time we were on the Monarch, but it was cancelled due to a bike race.

If you are interested in La Bufadora, do not take the ship tour. As you come out of the port there will be taxis that will take you downtown for free if you agree to go on a tour to La Bufadora for basically one half of the ships price. We did this a couple of years ago and it was good for the price. It would have been a different deal at the ship price. :)

i agree with the above poster. ensenada isn't really known for its beaches! this isn't really the city to go to if you want a beach. the only real beach city for the mexican riviera is cabo but you only go there on the 7 day cruises.

the winery tour i've heard is excellent. and of course, as mentioned, la bufadora is probably the most popular thing to do while in ensenada. i would probably do that and then do some shopping, the just get back on the ship and enjoy the ship

We were just on several wine afficionado websites and the consensus there is that the winery in Ensenada makes wine that isn't much different from fortified Kool-aid. Now we've ruled that out. The blow-hole doesn't look like much from the pictures. How much can you walk along the shore, or are you just basically snapping pictures of the one blowhole and getting back on the bus?

What's the shopping like in Ensenada? I might be content just wandering around downtown, but know nothing about it. Guess I should look for a website that the town might have. I like the idea of taking a taxi to the blowhole and then going downtown.

How far is the ship from the town? Can you walk off the ship to shopping?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

If you are interested in La Bufadora, do not take the ship tour. As you come out of the port there will be taxis that will take you downtown for free if you agree to go on a tour to La Bufadora for basically one half of the ships price. We did this a couple of years ago and it was good for the price. It would have been a different deal at the ship price. :)

I've seen this advice posted more than once about not taking the ships tour since it cost's twice as much as what is offered onshore. Last time I looked, the ships tour was only $17 for the ride out and back. So half price saves you what, $8.50 pp? If something happens to your ride and you can't get back to the ship in time, then what happens? You're stuck in Mexico and your ride has left without you.

Thanks but I think I'll pay the extra $8.50 for the ships tour and guarnetee that the ship will wait for me in case the bus breaks down. Seems prudent to me since the cruise is costing us around $600. I'd hate to miss a day at sea and have to pay for my own way home for the sake of $8.50 pp.

My in-laws sister has a home in Ensenada not to far from La Bufadora. When her husband died, they scattered his ashes at sea. From the picuters there was a beach but it didn't look all that inviting IMO. My father in-laws advice was to rent a car and drive down to Labufadora and see a few other sites as well. Since we're not in town that long and I really don't care for the idea of renting a car in Mexico for such a short duration, we've decided to take the Fox tour. FWIW, while researching this on the port of calls section, I noted one trip were the bus broke down. Darn sure would want that one to be a RCI tour instead of one booked while in port.

My family did the RCCL Baja cruise in 2000. IMHO, Ensenada was the low point of the trip, which was very enjoyable in every other respect. We did not go to La Bufadora or any other excursion because I was too cheap (the cost adds up with four). Big mistake. Instead we walked around Ensenada, which I thought was very depressing. (My girls did buy some nice silver jewelry, however.) In hindsight, I would have preferred to spend the day on the ship. It was my first cruise, so it was a learning experience about port days.

We are going on Vision in January and this time I have budgeted lots more for excursions, researched the ports better (learned a lot on these boards) and made reservations for excursions (some private, others through RCCL). The only exception is Cabo, where we are going to wing it, but at least we know the various options.

Ensenada just doesn't have the choice of excursions of some other ports. The city is within long walking distance from the ship. (It was hot, so we took a cab back for a few dollars.) Some of our party took the excursion to la Bufadora and enjoyed the shopping there. If I went again, I'd either go to la Bufadora or spend most of the day on the ship (especially if the spa's open). There are no beaches near the pier -- it's industrial.

I loved everything else about the cruise -- the fun, the food, the service, the spa, and am really looking forward to our next one. You will have a wonderful time whatever you decide to do -- especially because you are figuring the excursions out in advance!

We did the winery tour and had a blast! We went to 2 wineries and saw the whole process from start to finish. There was wine tasting at both places and we bought several bottles as gifts. Their cof ee flavored liquour is to die for. We had a fun bus load of people and the guides were great. I would do it again.

Just back from a 7 night mexican riveria in which we had to substitute ensanada for Puerta Vallarta due to a hurricane. I found Ensanada to be very disappointing. We chose to do the Fox studio tour which was pretty interesting and the guides gave a good history of the area on the drive out.

After the tour we walked around town which as I said was disappointing. There were alot (and I mean alot) of people, including very young children selling everywhere. We had one child come up to us in a resturant begging for food.

Personally if I had to go back there I'd probably stay on the ship.

Doug, I think you have me convinced we should book Labufadora with ship if that's what we decide to do. Sounds like good shopping there, so what the heck.

Sailormoon, what was the countryside you passed through like? You go inland, is that right?

We went to the library today and got Frommer's and Lonely Planet's Mexico, so will read write-ups there. Also, found Ensenada's tourist bureau's website and will do some looky-looing there.

We haven't been to Mexico before, and though I know Ensenada isn't the best place to start, it's the really the tail-end of our trip to L.A. Just want to make the best of it.

We were on the Monarch in August and walked to the shopping area. Our DDs were not impressed and we headed back to the ship in about an hour. They ended up buying their souvenirs in the shops on the dock! We actually could have just done that in a few minutes than to have walked all that way. We also took fruit from the breakfast buffet to give to the children who were on the streets trying to sell us packs of gum! We didn't do the Bufadora as we have seen the blowhole in Hawaii. Good luck with your decision!

La Bufadora can be fun if you haven't seen a blow hole before, but I'm in agreement with your husband regarding the folkloric show. As for beaches, the time of year that you're cruising may dictate the feasibility. Also, I'm not sure that Ensenada is know for its beaches.

Several have raved about the wine tasting tour, which seems reasonably priced considering what it covers. There's always shopping, but that'll only take an hour or two unless you stop at every cantina along the way. Of course, if you do that you might miss the ship.

I've been tempted to do the Foxploration studios I go by there every month when I'm down that way, but never have gotten around to it. We considered doing it last time we were on the Monarch, but it was cancelled due to a bike race.

Ok tell us the truth, you have to go to Ensada on business and figured out how to get your company to pay for your cruise down there right hehehehe just kidding :)

The blowhole has better shopping, Mexican handicrafts, and prices. It's about 45 minutes each way, and I think that this is an excursion that is perfectly safe to book in town at a lesser price. If you've done a few cruises, most short (and yes I mean short, not shore) excursions in Mexico are easy to book on your own. On our last Ensenada trip there were about 15 of us on the bus, (tour operator in town) first we stopped at a liqour store, and then by group consensus, we stopped to look at the new resort outside of town, on to the blowhole and we were back at least 3 hours before the ship departed.

On this cruise, (Monarch, October 18, if anyone is joining us) I need a new leather purse and my mom would like 2 bottles of Silver Tequila to make tequila tarts?? We will probably just shop in town. There is also a fun bar downtown, (sounds like Huisan's). Ensenada is not a bad port stop, and has undergone redevelopment over the last few years.

The Ship's "Wine Tour" is really wonderful, especially if you want some of the history of Ensenada, the local color, and the chance to see the inland areas of Ensenada. We live in San Diego and took the wine tour, even though we have been to Ensenada several times by car. We loved it!

Not only do you take a tour of the winery, but have some time to speak with the folks that run the winery. You also get an opportunity to see the tequila making process which is very interesting.

For a day out in the Baja area, this tour is very well priced and interesting. As for the grade of wine you will be experiencing, I don't think this is necessarily the reason to take the tour. You'll have the appreciation of the people and their culture. :D

I'll have to mention the tequila making to my husband. He loves his tequila! He seems pretty settled on Labufodora, but you never know...:rolleyes: Whichever we choose, we want to leave plenty of time for souvenir shopping downtown.

Ok tell us the truth, you have to go to Ensada on business and figured out how to get your company to pay for your cruise down there right hehehehe just kidding :)

I wish! Actually, I go down to Rosarito (about 45-60 minutes north of Ensenada) to volunteer at a no kill animal sanctuary that rescues homeless/street dogs and cats and tries to adopt them out. I've only been to Ensenada by cruise ship b/c it's relatively inexpensive and an easy get away as the ship leaves only about two hours from where I live.

Since I'm a college professor, I don't think the IRS would buy any excuses from me if I attempted to write my cruising expenses off. However, I do tell many cruise-related stories in my lectures, so it might be an option ;)

I live about 50 miles north of Ensenada. If you enjoy wine, take the

wine tour. There are over 20 wineries in Valle de Guadalupe. Some are

fair and some are great. The area is beautiful, much like Napa was 40 years

ago.

the Bufadora is a big tourist trap.

I wish! Actually, I go down to Rosarito (about 45-60 minutes north of Ensenada) to volunteer at a no kill animal sanctuary that rescues homeless/street dogs and cats and tries to adopt them out. I've only been to Ensenada by cruise ship b/c it's relatively inexpensive and an easy get away as the ship leaves only about two hours from where I live.

Since I'm a college professor, I don't think the IRS would buy any excuses from me if I attempted to write my cruising expenses off. However, I do tell many cruise-related stories in my lectures, so it might be an option ;)

How wonderful of you to volunteer for such a great cause! I too do alot of volunteer work (not with animals, but for kids) and I know how selfless a job it is. So just let me say "Thank You " and enjoy your crusing :)

How wonderful of you to volunteer for such a great cause! I too do alot of volunteer work (not with animals, but for kids) and I know how selfless a job it is. So just let me say "Thank You " and enjoy your crusing :)

Let me second that thanks. I use to be a social worker for Child Protective Services and truly appreciate anyone who volunteers for any cause, but especially with children. After all, children are our greatest resource!

Enjoy your cruise as well. Have you been on the Monarch before? Personally, I believe the four-day offers a better cruise experience than the three-day, and the additional ports are much better than Ensenada alone. However, I do like sea days and the three-day is more convenient for work purposes.

I don't think there are cliff paths, the developed part seems to end at the restrooms and blowhole. And you don't really get to spend all that much time out there. We have quite a few blowholes on the West Coast in CA, so they aren't really all that spectacular.

Sorry, the tequila tart recipe is my mother's. I don't have it. I will ask her for it at Thanksgiving, when we take the tequila up to her house.

Estero Beach is where they host a Pro/Am Beach Volleyball tourney every summer, and is only 30 minutes away from downtown Ensenada. I would recommend only going there in the summer, as the water in Ensenada is quite cold. But suffice it to say, there is a very nice beach there and a great resort hotel. But the beach is only tended in the summer months...the rest of the time it can get a little dirty.

If you wish to visit Estero Beach, simply hop onto the ship's shuttle and ask if they have a van going to the beach. In the summer, they know lots of people who want to go, so there will always be a van at the ready. It will cost you around $13pp round trip. The van driver will return for you at your convenience. Cab fare is a lot more expensive.

I have a review of things to do in Ensenada that you can check out at:

http://www.epinions.com/content_140764089988

I also have reviews on the Monarch and its ports of call at the same site. If you want links, just email me.

Archived