Desserts onboard

cs

Okay, I'm not ashamed to say it - I've got a sweet tooth and want to hear all about the desserts onboard. I've seen dinner menus but they didn't mention anything about desserts on them.

One of my all time favorites was a chocolate cake that I had on Carnival. I asked for a second slice to take back to our cabin for later, it was that good - lol.

So what's the scoop? What's your favorite dessert on Princess?

The Loveboat Dream is insane! Very yummy - and very rich. They also have incredible chocolate chip cookies in the Horizon Court.

Ooooh, yum. What's in the Loveboat Dream?

Baked Alaska is ok. There was a cream puff/eclaire type thing in the shape of a swan that was pretty good. Otherwise, compared to desserts I've had at land based restaurants, I thought dessert was one of the weaker parts of the food.

My favorite is prolly all the different types of ice cream/sherbert they have. Altho it can get a bit repetitive by the end of a cruise.

Ooooh, yum. What's in the Loveboat Dream?

Princess calls it a pudding, but it's actually chocolate cake with a chocolate sauce. It did not do anything for me & I love chocolate! Go figure. My favorites are the custards and creme brulee (sp?) and the ice cream is just so good. There are many choices for dessert in the buffet everyday as well. Small pieces, so you can sample more...Yay! Your sweet tooth will be happy, don't worry.

Jan

The Loveboat Dream is their version of a dark chocolate mousse. I find it a bit too dense for my taste, but some people really love it.

I like the lighter (well sort of) offerings - their souffles are usually wonderful made even better by a scoop or two of ice cream. I also enjoy their ice cream flavors at lunch and dinner.

Then there is dessert for an appetizer. Their chilled soups are like sweet fruit smoothies. So go ahead, have dessert first occasionally.:)

I've seen dinner menus but they didn't mention anything about desserts on them.

Here are just a few:

A Classic Bonetto Pudding(creme caramel flavored with dark chocolate & almond, garnished with pecan nuts)

Gateau St. Germaine (flourless sponge cake filled with orange mousseline custard & topped with Hazelnut brittle)

Truffle Torte (chocolate angel food sponge cake layered with fluffy belgian dark chocolate cream sprinkled with cocoa powder)

Cassata alla Siciliana ( a 3 flavor molded ice cream cake with candied fruits & shaved chocolate)

Stuffed Peach with an Almond Souffle (with warm vanilla sauce fresh from the oven)

Tiramisu

Drambuie and coconut Parfait

Chocolate Hazelnut Souffle

Caramelized William Pear Tart

Vacherin Suisse (layers of meringue filled with fresh whipped cream & decorated with chocolate shavings)

Sacher Torte

Berliner Luft (lemon flavored Bavarian cream topped with strawberry hello & whipped Cream0

Sugar free Strawberry Shortcake

Karidopeta (walnut sponge cake)

Yiaourtini (orange flavored yogurt cake with vanilla sauce)

Baklava

Sugar free Strawberry Napoleon

Honey & Almond Parfait

Passion Fruit Souffle

A Duet of Chocolate Mousses

Sugar free Strawberry Mousse

Baked Alaska

Fresh Fruit au Gratin

Brandy Alexander Pie

Sugar free Fresh Fruit Tart

Always Available -

Traditional New York Cheesecake

The Princess Love Boat Dream(Fluffyy Dark Swiss Chocolate Mousse, Flavored with Lady Godiva Liqueur)

Create Your Own Sudae

Okay, I'm not ashamed to say it - I've got a sweet tooth and want to hear all about the desserts onboard. I've seen dinner menus but they didn't mention anything about desserts on them.

One of my all time favorites was a chocolate cake that I had on Carnival. I asked for a second slice to take back to our cabin for later, it was that good - lol.

So what's the scoop? What's your favorite dessert on Princess?

To answer your question, after you finish dinner, you will be presented with a seperate dessert menu.

I thought the baked alaska on the Diamond in January was surpringly good. I usually don't like and find it over-rated, but this time it was really good. The meringue was very creamy which made it so good.

I do think that the Love Boat Dream is like the Old Grey Mare--she ain't what she used to be. I swear that Princess changed the recipe 2 or 3 years ago and turned something that was a fantastic signature dessert into something merely very good.

Les

I just love the souffles. The cheesecake is good. And the sherberts are yummy too. They also have these little fruit tartlets on the afternoon buffet that I really enjoy.:)

I love the fruit tartlets, too!

My daughter loves the expresso souffle with warm vanilla sauce.

Here's the Loveboat Dream:

PrincessLoveboatDream.jpg While I'm not a big fan of chocolate, I do agree with the poster who said the change in recipe has changed what was a fantastic signature dessert (when I was on the Grand back in '05) into something that's merely good (on the Diamond last month).

That said... my favorite was the Layered Napoleon. Fantastic! Best dessert I had in the whole two weeks on board :) I definitely enjoyed the mini eclairs served in Horizon Court... and the afternoon they had the chocolate buffet, I REALLY enjoyed the profiteroles :)

I'm a dessert fanatic... I love to make it, I love to eat it, I love to photograph it, I love to write about it... and I'd better since I write a pastry blog! LOL

Okay, okay, now you all have me googling for pictures of these desserts! Some of them really look good. I'm going to have fun trying all of them.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Baked Alaska is ok. There was a cream puff/eclaire type thing in the shape of a swan that was pretty good. Otherwise, compared to desserts I've had at land based restaurants, I thought dessert was one of the weaker parts of the food.

My favorite is prolly all the different types of ice cream/sherbert they have. Altho it can get a bit repetitive by the end of a cruise.

American desserts are much sweeter than European desserts which usually tend to be richer. I believe most cruise ship chefs are not American... Personally, I would opt for the richer than the sweeter in my dessert!

I do think that the Love Boat Dream is like the Old Grey Mare--she ain't what she used to be. I swear that Princess changed the recipe 2 or 3 years ago and turned something that was a fantastic signature dessert into something merely very good.

Les

Well it will probably be excellent to those of us who never had the original version....:D

I have quite the sweet tooth too and I loved the desserts on the CB last year. Most nights my husband and I would order 3-5 :eek: desserts to share! Hey they are small and I'm on vacation right? I loved the creme brulée, love boat dream, all the ice cream/ gelato, tiramisu, etc. There is something for everyone for sure.

Here are just a few:

A Classic Bonetto Pudding(creme caramel flavored with dark chocolate & almond, garnished with pecan nuts)

Gateau St. Germaine (flourless sponge cake filled with orange mousseline custard & topped with Hazelnut brittle)

Truffle Torte (chocolate angel food sponge cake layered with fluffy belgian dark chocolate cream sprinkled with cocoa powder)

Cassata alla Siciliana ( a 3 flavor molded ice cream cake with candied fruits & shaved chocolate)

Stuffed Peach with an Almond Souffle (with warm vanilla sauce fresh from the oven)

Tiramisu

Drambuie and coconut Parfait

Chocolate Hazelnut Souffle

Caramelized William Pear Tart

Vacherin Suisse (layers of meringue filled with fresh whipped cream & decorated with chocolate shavings)

Sacher Torte

Berliner Luft (lemon flavored Bavarian cream topped with strawberry hello & whipped Cream0

Sugar free Strawberry Shortcake

Karidopeta (walnut sponge cake)

Yiaourtini (orange flavored yogurt cake with vanilla sauce)

Baklava

Sugar free Strawberry Napoleon

Honey & Almond Parfait

Passion Fruit Souffle

A Duet of Chocolate Mousses

Sugar free Strawberry Mousse

Baked Alaska

Fresh Fruit au Gratin

Brandy Alexander Pie

Sugar free Fresh Fruit Tart

Always Available -

Traditional New York Cheesecake

The Princess Love Boat Dream(Fluffyy Dark Swiss Chocolate Mousse, Flavored with Lady Godiva Liqueur)

Create Your Own Sudae

You are killing me!! We sail on 4-15 and I cant wait for these yummies. BUT I didnt see a creme' brulee on that list. That one is my ultimate, favorite, death bed, bucket list dessert. Bring it on.

Les

Agree 100%

Archived