Cruise I want leaves from Vancouver but I want to fly into Seattle-what do you think?

LakelandCat

Hello to all. I tried the search function...not working well for a few days. Anyway, we can fly Southwest to Seattle from where we live for a much lower rate than to Vancouver. There are several cruises we are considering but they leave from Vancouver (ie. a great 14 day Holland...sort of a 7 day back-to-back). I would like to know the logistics and pros/cons of flying into Seattle and getting to Vancouver. On most cruises we arrange private transport, sometimes take a cab, and rarely a ship transfer. I plan to arrive the day before departure. Thank you for any suggestions and if it is easier to just fly into Vancouver directly because of any significant hassle then I would like to know that too The price savings in the flight price is about $350 to $450/pp. I know to consider variables (ie. cost savings vs. hassle vs. flight times vs. hotel cost etc. etc) but was wondering specifically if it is relatively easy in your opinion to do the above or do you wish you never flew into Seattle and went straight to Vancouver? Happy cruising!

IMO, arriving the day before departure (depending on the time of day that you arrive) could still make things quite rushed. I'd arrive two days before departure, spend a night in Seattle, then one night in Vancouver before embarkation. As for post cruise, I'd suggest NOT scheduling your flight until the next day since a lot can happen between the dock and getting back to Seattle. Also, check the local rental agency business hours as I am sure your disembarkation takes place on a Sunday; so if you plan on leaving via car that day...well, you see my point. All this may add to the costs (both economic, time and stress) as compared to just flying into YVR.

It would be helpful if you posted your origination airport(s) as others may have suggestions to save money on a flight to Vancouver. If you have not already checked these carrier, they are worth a look (depending on your location): Alaska Airline and Cathay Pacific.

Short of over-analyizing this, your reported savings of $350-450 pp would justify (for most people) the cost of renting a car and the associated time and cost factors. Before you rush into a decision I strongly suggest that you price out the car rental for one-way rentals from SEATAC-Vancouver local drop off and vice versa. One way rentals can be surprisingly expensive for certain routes.

Nope. You put it at the right place. As to your question. People do it all the time. Some cruise lines have transfers available from Seatac in Seattleto Canada Place in Vancouver. That is what we did on our last Alaska cruise with Princess. You can also take the train from Seattle to Vancouver. The other option is to rent a car and drive yourself. The only problem is that sometimes you encounter problems getting across the border into/out of Canada. Sometimes you are delayed by hours. YOu have to consider than into your plans.

Last September, our cruise began in Vancouver, but ended in Seattle. We took the Amtrak Cascades train up. It was a lovely trip up. BUt the problem for many is that there is only one train each way each day. Seattle to Vancouver leaves at 7:30am (I've heard they stop loading luggage at 7:05) and the Vancouver to Seattle train leaves around 6pm. So if flying into Seattle, you would need to do that the day before taking the train up. Amtrak does offer buses and there are many other bus options as well. The cruiselines usually have these available. There are also companies that do the trip many times a day. But don't cut your time too close if you are wanting to arrive in Vancouver the day of your cruise. The buses or motorcoaches can be held at the border for customs, and the length of the wait can vary. If you take the train up, you clear customs at the train station in Vancouver, and it only took a few minutes (less than it usually takes after a cruise).

I will also say that Vancouver is a beautiful city and you may want to enjoy it if only for an evening. Hotels are pricey, but I'm glad we spent a couple of days there pre-cruise, because I don't know if we'll have the opportunity to go back.

Anyway, we can fly Southwest to Seattle from where we live for a much lower rate than to Vancouver. The price savings in the flight price is about $350 to $450/pp.

The Seattle option is very doable.

Now, I am probly doing something wrong, but I will assume that you are leaving out of Louisville (SDF). I am finding the following fares for July.(just an example)

SDF-SEA $580. rt taxes included Southwest (3 stops)

SDF-YVR $589. rt taxes included United (1 stop)

If you choose Seattle, I would look into Amtrak. One of our party was held up by a wreck on the interstate. He was on the shuttle. A normally 4 hour shuttle trip took 7 hours.

The Seattle option is very doable.

Now, I am probly doing something wrong, but I will assume that you are leaving out of Louisville (SDF). I am finding the following fares for July.(just an example)

SDF-SEA $580. rt taxes included Southwest (3 stops)

SDF-YVR $589. rt taxes included United (1 stop)

If you choose Seattle, I would look into Amtrak. One of our party was held up by a wreck on the interstate. He was on the shuttle. A normally 4 hour shuttle trip took 7 hours.

The OP has also failed to post dates of travel. If this is a time sensitive booking, that could explain the higher fare to YVR.

We did this last year also because it was cheaper flying into Seattle, stayed 2days to visit the city (awsome place) then took the Victoria Clipper for 1 night in Victoria (saw the gardens, awsome city) then took a bus into Vancouver and stayed one night before our cruise. I would have never before had a chance to see the 3 different city so that is the reason we did it this way.

For our cruise in Sept back to Alaska we are just going out of Seattle R/T.

I've only flown into Vancouver three times, all other trips were Seattle.

Easy to do, Amtrak is an excellent mode to get there, you do need to come in the day prior. Add $35++ for a cab from the airport. As for the return, the train is too last for any same day flight. And so are most buses. Quick Shuttle is a good option, if you have an overnight flight home. Don't consider anything prior to 4pm. I've driven the most, again, don't underestimate time. :)

We faced the same decisions last May. After much research we ended up taking the Quick Shuttle round trip from Seattle to Vancouver. While this ended up being ok for us, we would not do it again. In the future we would probably either cruise round trip from Seattle or fly directly into Vancouver. We enjoyed Vancouver much more than Seattle. IF money is not a major issue, I would suggest flying round trip to Vancouver.

As you have already discovered, you have essentially 4 choices to get from Seattle to Vancouver: air, train, bus, car. Each has its own potential advantages and disadvantages. Air is potentially the least painless, but the most expensive. (On the other hand, just look at what the airlines have been doing recently!!!) Bus and car can both face traffic and border crossing issues. You can have either smooth sailing or the trip from Hell. The train can be nice, but leaves really early in the morning. For each method of travel there are uncertainties which you cannot control and which you cannot really predict in advance. Essentially, "you pays your money and takes your chances".

We had never been to Seattle but were really unimpressed and have no desire to return. We liked Vancouver and would definitely return. Since we have no interest in returning to Seattle--and because of the uncertainties of getting from there to Vancouver--we would suggest flying directly to Vancouver. That's our opinion, and we're sticking by it. :D

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. This info is exactly what I was looking for. I was worried I would be "flamed" for posting that question here vs port-of-call baord....sometimes posters get all worked up if you break CC etiquette:) Anyway, yes we are flying out of Louisville if we use Southwest....Lexington is more $$ sometimes but need to check it out again. Dates are likely in June and aren't set yet so we are a little flexible. The train looks like a good option and obviously we would need to arrive the day before in SEA to make that early train. I will keep researching based on all of this helpful info....I really appreciate it! It helps direct me in the right place. Would love to fly into Vancouver directly but will have to compare it again. Take Care

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. This info is exactly what I was looking for. I was worried I would be "flamed" for posting that question here vs port-of-call baord....sometimes posters get all worked up if you break CC etiquette:) Anyway, yes we are flying out of Louisville if we use Southwest....Lexington is more $$ sometimes but need to check it out again. Dates are likely in June and aren't set yet so we are a little flexible. The train looks like a good option and obviously we would need to arrive the day before in SEA to make that early train. I will keep researching based on all of this helpful info....I really appreciate it! It helps direct me in the right place. Would love to fly into Vancouver directly but will have to compare it again. Take Care

Go to www.kayak.com. It compares several different airlines at one time. You may be able to find something much cheaper than flying Southwest.

Seattle is AWESOME! You can easily find something to do for as long as you have there. We booked our hotel through priceline and stayed close enough to walk to the market and do some sightseeing. Someone mentioned the train leaving at 7:30am. That is correct. You have to be at the train station very early!

We flew into Seattle 4 years ago for a Vancouver cruise. It was much cheaper for our family of four -- saved us almost $1200. We just rented a car (actually a mini-van for all the luggage :o ). I'd seen a suggestion from Budget Queen about driving as far as Bellingham, so that's what we did, spending the night there. The next morning it was a relatively easy, pretty drive into Vancouver and we were onboard the ship by about 12:30.

I just booked two of us on the Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle. With AAA discount (also have a variety of other discounts) it ran $49.00. You can book it off of the Amtrak sight but becareful to get the train and not the bus (both are on the Amtrak). The drawback is limited number of trains.

If you add up the cost of the train and the cost of a hotel you might not be saving over flying in directly and going to the ship, but it promises to be a really spectacular train ride.

Kat

If you come into Vancouver by Amtrak you can catch SkyTrain an ELS system that will take you to the Canada Place terminal for $2.50 CDN pp. The Main Street station for SkyTrain is located right across the street from the train station and the Waterfront Station is about 100 paces east of Canada Place. Otherwise a cab fare will be about $12/15.

Suggestions from researching this for our cruise, NOT from firsthand experience (we're using frequent flyer miles and going into YVR):

- Check fares into Bellingham, WA the code is BLI. It is about 30 miles south of Vancouver pretty close to the border. I found some pretty good fares. Delta (thru SLC), Horizon (SEA), and Allegiant (LAS) fly there. Nowadays I'd avoid Allegiant. The shuttle bus from Seattle and Amtrak both stop in Bellingham.

- A friend from the area says there can be very long delays at the I-5 border crossing. It's under construction to prepare for the Olympics. She suggested I map out the route to another crossing about 15 miles to the east if I was driving.

Someone with direct experience can correct/comment on my post. :)

If Allegiant flys from your city to Bellingham that is likely going to be you best deal from a price point of view. From Bellingham you can take Amtrak or the Quick Shuttle. If you drive you can expect up to 2 hour delays at the border both coming into Canada and returning to the US. There are 2 main crossings at Blaine, the Peace Arch crossing and the Truck Crossing (Pacific Highway crossing) your waits are usually shorter at the Truck Crossing and shorter at either crossing earlier in the morning ie before 8 am. There is a 3rd crossing at Aldergrove/Lynden and use the Guide Meridian exit off I-5 which is just south of BLI. It has the very shortest waits but doesn't open until 8 am and it can at times be an adventure getting into Vancouver if there is an accident on a certain bridge but also, depending where you are staying in Vancouver, getting you to your hotel.

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

If you come into Vancouver by Amtrak you can catch SkyTrain an ELS system that will take you to the Canada Place terminal for $2.50 CDN pp. The Main Street station for SkyTrain is located right across the street from the train station and the Waterfront Station is about 100 paces east of Canada Place. Otherwise a cab fare will be about $12/15.

There is a money exchange right near the depot exit. You need Canadian money for Skytrain. ALSO, IF You do not want to walk up the stairs- then cross the street for the elevator, 2nd level is ticket purchase, 3rd is the train.

I should probably add that the SkyTrain option will work best if you only have one roller suitcase each, to much more than that may prove to be a bit awkard, but I will leave that for you to determine.

Archived