Crazy things non cruisers have told you about cruising

Cruiseforfun1

[quote name='yoemen1988']In 1994, my best friend and I booked a cruise on the Jubilee. When I told my 80 year old grandmother she said, and I quote, "I don't know why anyone would ever want to go on a cruise. All they do it drink, have sex and play music so loud that if they weren't in the middle of the ocean, they'd be arrested!"[/quote]

We wish! :D

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]My personal favorite:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]"I would love to cruise, but my husband can't swim."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]Huh?:confused: :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Originally Posted by [B]yoemen1988[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14214165#post14214165"][IMG]http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]In 1994, my best friend and I booked a cruise on the Jubilee. When I told my 80 year old grandmother she said, and I quote, "I don't know why anyone would ever want to go on a cruise. All they do it drink, have sex and play music so loud that if they weren't in the middle of the ocean, they'd be arrested!"[/I]

[quote name='cruisedawgg']We wish! :D[/quote]

Yea, when I told me friend what my grandma said, my friend said that we must have been ripped off!

[quote name='nancydee']I kept telling him, if the ship goes down, you have a chance, you know how to swim. If the plane goes down, good luck flapping your arms and waiting for another plane to pick you up lol:D
[/quote]

LOL!! My ex husband always said that he would never want to cruise because if something bad happened, there is nowhere safe on the ship. I always agreed with him. Well, after our divorce, I thought, "Why don't i try it for myself and see if i might like it?" Well, i didn't just like it, I LOVED it...and the rest, they say, is history!! :)

ROFL I love that one about the springing a leak... I know with all the talk of global warming some iceberg IS gonna to float into the Caribbean and poke a nasty hole in our ship... Thats why I always stay above those poor criminals and immigrants in steerage. But EVERYONE knows all the fun drinking AND dancing is down there.

It is funny how that very idea drives cabin prices even today.

Now if I could just find Jack... I keep looking.

[quote name='momofzeke']

My nephew went with us on our recent Valor cruise, and a person at his tanning salon (big expert on cruising, right? :rolleyes: ) had told him not to drink the water on the ship because everyone who does gets sick since there is bacteria in all the ships water tanks. :rolleyes:[/quote]

MAJOR eyeroll!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Monkeythyme']Hear this one?
Half the workers on those ships are criminals. That's why they work at sea. Nobody on land will hire them, and they are running from the law.[/quote]

LOL!! Where do people come UP with this stuff?:D :rolleyes:

[quote name='patrice1'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]My personal favorite:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]"I would love to cruise, but my husband can't swim."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]Huh?:confused: :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

LOL!! Tell someone who says that that their spouse can always wear the lifejacket 24/7 "just in case"!:D

[quote name='TheCruisingBrewers']ROFL I love that one about the springing a leak... I know with all the talk of global warming some iceberg IS gonna to float into the Caribbean and poke a nasty hole in our ship... Thats why I always stay above those poor criminals and immigrants in steerage. But EVERYONE knows all the fun drinking AND dancing is down there.
.[/quote]

Well, you just NEVER know, an iceberg COULD float away and happen to run into a cruise ship!:rolleyes: Yep, steerage is where the REAL fun is, the boring stuff is only for the rich, who secretly WISH they could be partying with the steerage folks!:D

Some of these are so funny they are ridiculous...
others (like the ones below) have made me feel really stupid...
because I thought the same the same thing...

[quote name='trock']LOL
Anyone I speak with who has not cruised has visions of the steerage deck from the movie Titanic...[/quote]

You mean it's NOT like that?
Damn, we just book an inside low level room HOPING that we would have as much fun as they did on the Titanic :rolleyes:

[quote name='SheriNtexas']LOL!! When I first started researching cruising a couple of years ago, I was SO surprised to find that most everything to do is "inside" the ship!:o I thought that anywhere you had to go, you had to be outside, on the deck, walking to get to the place you wanted to go!:D Now that I have [I][B]been [/B][/I]on cruises, I know that isn't true! All these people, ah heck, let's call them "won't cruise because..."people, don't know what they are missing!:eek:[/quote]

This is also a surprise to me...
I thought the same thing...

[quote name='Terre']I'm amazed at how many people think cruises are expensive. When we start telling them how to find deals and how little you have to pay for one, they can't believe it! Just takes a little time and research, which thank goodness my DH is willing to do!

Once we realized we could take a 7-day cruise for about the same price we were paying for a week at the beach, there was no way we were going back to land vacations![/quote]

I was also one of those people who THOUGHT that cruises were just too expensive... so I never even looked into one before.

This past year, my job was relocating, and I worked a TON of overtime, so I was saving every penny of OT so "maybe" I could afford a cruise... I was pleasantly surprised to find that AFTER paying for the cruise (and 10 days pre-cruise in Alaska, and 3 days post-cruise in Vancouver), I still had enough left to BUY A NEW CAR!!!!! lol

I am sure there are other things I will discover once onboard that I had "wrongly assumed" being a first time cruise.

This would be a funny commercial... superimpose the film footage of the partying in steerage on a Carnival cruise line and the stuffy rude pretentious rich folk on another cruise ship.... and the announcer cuts in... "Wild sex, parties and nonstop action (Carnival) or you could always try another cruise line..? (Some nice prim amd proper dull folk....)

Hehe

We have an neighbor that told me once why would we cruise? Cruise Line are doing down hill and people are not cruising anymore... I said were did you get that info from.. He said from a travel agent.. LOL I wounder who the travel agent was, must not have been a good one.. But he also said there would be NOTHING for him to do and he couldn't stay on a cruise ship for any length of time.. And this is the same person that goes to the same two vacation places every year.. To Key West and Colorado.. And thats all he does..

The funny thing is I had some of those same thoughts. Like what would there be to do on a cruise ship? And that I would be staying in a closet size room. :eek:. But at least I gave it a try with my husband before we got married and since then we have been on 8 cruises together.. Of course we still do our land vacations as much as the cruise vacations..

You have to remember when you consider these stupid ideas that 50% of the population has an IQ less than 100 and we run into them every day. In fact, a significant percentage has an IQ less than 80 and these people are barely functional.

DON

GREAT Thread. I have a few "why I wouldn't cruise comments" :

1. My boss said he doesn't want to eat all day!!! YUP - that's all you do all day and they MAKE YOU EAT.

2. My boyfriend's mother said a friend of a friend had a BAD experience on a cruise - and to be sure we took our toothbrushes with us when we left the cabin. It's that old urban legend - people get home from vacation, develop their film ....... She really believed it. And my boyfriend was serious when he told me about it - like maybe he SHOULD guard his toothbrush.

(This past year, my job was relocating, and I worked a TON of overtime, so I was saving every penny of OT so "maybe" I could afford a cruise... I was pleasantly surprised to find that AFTER paying for the cruise (and 10 days pre-cruise in Alaska, and 3 days post-cruise in Vancouver), I still had enough left to BUY A NEW CAR!!!!! lol)
Holy moly! :eek: I have worked at the same place for almost 33 years, make $16/hour with no holiday/sick/vacation. E-mail me if your office has a job opening!

[quote name='CruisingAgain']
2. My boyfriend's mother said a friend of a friend had a BAD experience on a cruise - and to be sure we took our toothbrushes with us when we left the cabin. It's that old urban legend - people get home from vacation, develop their film ....... She really believed it. And my boyfriend was serious when he told me about it - like maybe he SHOULD guard his toothbrush.[/quote]

Ok, I haven't heard the urban legend about toothbrushes!:confused: What is it?

[quote name='donaldsc']You have to remember when you consider these stupid ideas that 50% of the population has an IQ less than 100 and we run into them every day. In fact, a significant percentage has an IQ less than 80 and these people are barely functional.[/quote]

IQ has nothing to do with it... if you have no knowledge of something, it is very easy to be "uniformed" of the details.

I happen to be a member of MENSA and I still thought some of these things were true.

[quote name='Crusin Karen']I have worked at the same place for almost 33 years, make $16/hour with no holiday/sick/vacation. E-mail me if your office has a job opening![/quote]

Wow, you have a lot of cruises under your belt for not having any vacation time... I find it hard to even take off ONE DAY :(

You can have mine! I get 3 weeks vacation time, but in 5 years, I have never been "able" to take any...

After working 80-95 hours a week for the past year, I am READY for this vacation... and it has definitely been EARNED :)

I am ready to jump on a cruise ship, and just stay there...
after all of the research I have done for this cruise, I told my daughters that I am going to get a job on a cruise ship after the last one moves out (in three years)... lol

toothbrush legend can be found at [URL]http://www.snopes.com/racial/crime/toothbrush.asp[/URL]

I hadn't heard it either so I looked it up on Snopes.com. Yuck yuck yuck.

Most of my non-cruising friends seem to think I'm crazy for cruising by myself, that I'll be bored in such a small space, or that the only other people on the ship are all over 70 (I'm 40), or that the ship is constantly rocking back and forth like a small raft on the high seas, or that I'll gain 15 pounds in a week, or that a taxi driver will kidnap me on one of the islands and not bring me back to the ship until I pay him hundreds of dollars, or that I'll catch a deadly virus, or that I'll be attacked on board because I'm a single female traveling alone, or.... it goes on and on.

Karen

Archived