$25 Charge for 2nd bag

Cinderose

I copied and pasted this info earlier today from msn.com but now that I go in and try and find a link I cant find the original story. Any way...

FYI

Following the lead of United, Northwest, Delta and US Airways,

Continental Airlines announced beginning May 5, 2008 passengers will

have to pay a $25 fee to check a second bag. Any moment now, we'll have

to declare this to be the industry-wide standard. How will well-mannered

travelers cope? Some folks will grumble while they pay that extra fee,

others will finally take the time to learn how to pack

<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23256744/> it all into just one suitcase -

but most of us will just end up trying to carry more stuff with us onto

the plane.

That means, of course, overhead bin space will become even more precious

- and a lot more stuff will end up getting left behind at airports. Not

because it won't fit onto airplanes, but because the more you carry, the

easier it is to lose track of your belongings.

Another example of a news agency making a story bigger than it is. The airlines mentioned usually have exceptions for most categories of their frequent flier programs and some categories of purchased tickets. Couple that with an industry study that states less than 10% of all passengers check more than one bag. It looks like the airlines are trying to charge passengers who buy the deep discounted tickets and then bring a lot of luggage. These will probably be vacation types who do long range planning as compared to the business traveler the second of which is the airlines bread and butter.

This is the kind of story that will probably lead to having the over heads filled up needlessly. When passengers start obsessing over luggage.

Just my opinion........

I expect (and hope) that the airlines will also more strictly enforce the carry-on limits. It's so annoying to have people schlepp everything onto the aircraft and force it into limited space.

Carnival guests (and a few other lines) have a distinct advantage as that ships have guest laundries. We've cruised 26 times and I don't ever remember taking more than one checked and one carry-on. We just do laundry mid-cruise and find that far more convenient than having to pack and carry twice as much stuff.

But those who don't want to do laundry or sail on RCI, CEL and other lines without guest laundries, can simply pay the $25 to bring an extra bag. Is it really that big a deal? At least they told you in advance...

I expect (and hope) that the airlines will also more strictly enforce the carry-on limits. It's so annoying to have people schlepp everything onto the aircraft and force it into limited space.

Carnival guests (and a few other lines) have a distinct advantage as that ships have guest laundries. We've cruised 26 times and I don't ever remember taking more than one checked and one carry-on. We just do laundry mid-cruise and find that far more convenient than having to pack and carry twice as much stuff.

But those who don't want to do laundry or sail on RCI, CEL and other lines without guest laundries, can simply pay the $25 to bring an extra bag. Is it really that big a deal? At least they told you in advance...

I am with you before we reached platinum status we alwasy did a load of laundry onboard. My wife is a excellent packer also we went on a 12 greek Isle cruise and spent 3 days pre cruise in Rome and Checked only 1 bag and each of us had a carry on. I rented a tux onboard. I always get a little chuckle when I see people with 3 and 4 bags each on a 7 day cruise.

Even on a 10 day cruise, with a few days visiting family beforehand, we only took one suitcase for the two of us, and a garment hanger for our formalwear. I found that if I wore a swimsuit that was a shortkini, then I pretty much wore that every day, all day, and just added a coverup to it. Rinse it in the sink after the day is through, and let it dry for wear again the next day! There are so many different ways to pack lightly. No need for half the clothes most people bring!:D

I am with you before we reached platinum status we alwasy did a load of laundry onboard. My wife is a excellent packer also we went on a 12 greek Isle cruise and spent 3 days pre cruise in Rome and Checked only 1 bag and each of us had a carry on. I rented a tux onboard. I always get a little chuckle when I see people with 3 and 4 bags each on a 7 day cruise.

We're also platinum and have sailed Carnival twice since they started offering the complimentary service. But I don't want someone else doing my laundry, so I still do it myself. Just can't bring myself to use the service...

We're also platinum and have sailed Carnival twice since they started offering the complimentary service. But I don't want someone else doing my laundry, so I still do it myself. Just can't bring myself to use the service...

They do a great job I was quite impressed with the service. I only had them wash everyday items no dress clothes

So there is a $25 dollar surcharge for a 2nd bag, no problem. However I believe there is also a surcharge (not sure how much) if you bag weighs more than fifty pounds. At least I have been on enough cruises to not overpack anyway.

My plan will be to just pack medium size bags since lugging baggage and young kids at the same time is not the high point of my vacation. ;)

Surcharges for multiple bags, overweight bags, or even food is the future trend of airlines improving their margins. Overall I would not mind if service would improve.

You can get a lot of stuff in one 50 lb checked bag. The carryon is not weighed, so you can bring plenty in that, as long as it is an acceptable size.

Yes, overhead space is going to be even harder to come by soon. Good news is that if there is not space for the carryon they will collect it and store it below and there is no extra charge for that bag.

One thing it will definitely reduce is people bringing cheap liquor back from the cruise. That is heavy and there will probably not be room for it.

One thing it will definitely reduce is people bringing cheap liquor back from the cruise. That is heavy and there will probably not be room for it.

Not going to stop me :) Im rarely even at 40 pounds.

For those that are over 50lbs... if you check in curbside and give them a tip($5-10), they could careless how much your bad weighs.

We booked and paid for our flights in February. Will we be charged 25 for the second bag.

Flying in October.

We did this before they announced the new policy anyone know about prior and paid bookings?

Thanks

Pat, SC

We've cruised 26 times and I don't ever remember taking more than one checked and one carry-on. .

We used our Platinum VIP free laundry wash 3 times on Freedom and because of that we over packed. I can't wait to cruise on Splendor because all Im taking is a pair of socks and 2 purple hanes underware LOL.

Fred

Good thing our next two cruises leave directly from NYC. I am a self admitted over packer, I get anxiety over feeling like I am forgetting something. But we did learn a lesson from our first cruise, we didn't wear nearly half of the crap we packed :rolleyes:

I'm flying Delta in May so I guess I'll be stuck with the $25 charge for a second bag. I really don't think it's fair since that was not the rule when I bought the tickets. However, I would much rather pay $25 for an extra bag instead of $80 for the bag being overweight. Besides, at least I'm going on a cruise!

With fuel being the way it is, the airlines are just trying to pass the cost along to the passengers for the extra bag. I know at AA, they dont carry as much water for coffee, etc, any longer because of the weight of the water.. and they are saving over $1,000,000 a year... also, the reason you dont see all of the Newsweeks, Golf Mags, etc on the planes.. the weight of the magazines and the cost of the fuel to carry them. They are really trying to cut down on the weight of the planes due to the amount of fuel it takes.

I travel stand by, thus I always travel with a carry on... even if I go to Europe or Hawaii for a week. If the flights fill up and I have to run to another gate.. or I get bumped over night, I need to have my luggage with me. Now that I am driving to our cruise port in a couple of months, I am afraid that I will go hog wild on packing since I dont have to fly! :)

I have not heard anything yet about AA and charging the extra money for the second bag.. but I just cant see them not following the pack as they all seem to do.

Archived