What food do you MISS on a cruise?

cruisinbuddy

There is so much food and I'm so full all the time, there is no time to miss anything! In fact, I eat kind of like at home, cereal and yogurt for breakfast, salad or sandwich for lunch, and fish for dinner with a bit of ice cream afterwards. We do have our favorite milkshakes once or twice during the week though!

My whole family really misses Tex-Mex and abundant, always available ice tea.
Tex-Mex was great on NCL Star at the Endless Summer Restaurant (reservation needed but no service charge). I like iced tea and there is something called :rolleyes: iced tea available 24/7 on every cruise line we've sailed. Real hot tea is available, though. So, the brew-your-own is a better choice if you don't like the taste of the dispenser tea.

I agree... I miss my espresso coffee :(
It seems that most cruise lines are gravitating toward a coffee shop (maybe shoppe so they can charge more) on each ship. Carnival and NCL have complimentary cappuccino in the dining room. It's not well advertised, just ask. Other cruise lines have it available at a charge during meals.

Gumbo, okra and alligator to name some.
I've had some decent gumbo but can't remember which cruise line. Never seen okra presented except in an occasional soup.

As far as 'gator, bring your own bang stick and schedule an excursion. I'm sure the chef will be happy to batter up some good 'gator tail:D

Charlie

Tex-Mex was great on NCL Star at the Endless Summer Restaurant (reservation needed but no service charge). I like iced tea and there is something called :rolleyes: iced tea available 24/7 on every cruise line we've sailed. Real hot tea is available, though. So, the brew-your-own is a better choice if you don't like the taste of the dispenser tea.

It seems that most cruise lines are gravitating toward a coffee shop (maybe shoppe so they can charge more) on each ship. Carnival and NCL have complimentary cappuccino in the dining room. It's not well advertised, just ask. Other cruise lines have it available at a charge during meals.

I've had some decent gumbo but can't remember which cruise line. Never seen okra presented except in an occasional soup.

As far as 'gator, bring your own bang stick and schedule an excursion. I'm sure the chef will be happy to batter up some good 'gator tail:D

Charlie

We were on NCL Pearl last year and tried to snag a reservation at Mambos (for the Tex-Mex) but they were fully booked and we couldn't get in. We found it difficult to get tea at dinner. They usually forgot we asked for it or we had finished the whole meal before they brought it.

We were on NCL Pearl last year and tried to snag a reservation at Mambos (for the Tex-Mex) but they were fully booked and we couldn't get in. We found it difficult to get tea at dinner. They usually forgot we asked for it or we had finished the whole meal before they brought it.
Last trip on NCL Star we ate at Endless Summer twice, once with a reservation and once as a walkin. Several evenings we would stop by and chat with the Maitre d' of Endless Summer and have a cocktail while listening to the group that played on the next deck down. There were usually tables available. Maybe time of year and itinerary has something to do with it. We were on the 1st Mexican Riviera run of the year in mid/late September.

As far as beverage requests or service in general on NCL or any other line, again, we just haven't encountered a problem. Maybe once or twice in 21 cruises that we've had to remind a server about any special request.

Maybe we're just lucky. If so, I wish it would rub off on a lottery ticket:D

Charlie

What's confiture? We cannot get unpastuerized cheeses in the U.S. It's against the law :(
I'm not sure if it has changed but unpasteurized cheeses aged properly for 60 days are still legal. It's the aging that is the problem with soft cheeses. There is a flavor change.

Confiture is similar to our jam. However it is fruitier. You can usually find it at the grocery in the jam/jelly area.

Charlie

they have their version of a chocolate lava cake. Helps ease the burden...

Got home Sunday from the Valor... had to dig out my Carnival cookbook from years ago to make up a batch of CD... Had been so fixated on enjoying the CD on this cruise... had to make some right away upon return.

Archived