Still confused about anytime vs. traditional!

kellieann5

We're sailing on the Diamond Princess next month and confirmed for late night traditional. Does this mean that we can't try out the four 'specialty' restaurants- the asian, the southwestern, etc.?

They just call them those names and as Rob said they serve the regular menu. They each do have one specialty dish for each dining room though. :)

We were on the Diamond after they changed to “separate” PC, restaurants, nothing that great at the time. They are now just PC restaurants with a smaller floor plan. Each room has one (1) specialty dish that will be on the menu for the entire week. As I recall the Asian room had egg rolls and the Santa Fe had Guacamole and enchiladas. As I say, no big deal

We had the pleasure of being on the Sapphire when they were still under the original plan, four themed rooms with totally different menus.. As I recall the Italian room was mostly shunned by pax for some reason, we never saw anything on the menu. Not sure, but having one room not being chosen by the pax could have been part of the re-thinking of the entire plan.

90% of the time, you are asked for your “cruise card” when entering one of the PC rooms. A quick look will let them know you’re in the wrong spot. They will politely point you in the direction of the traditional dining room.

We were just on the Diamond to Hawaii in February and had anytime dining. At that time, we were only allowed to eat in the 4 smaller themed restaurants. We were NOT allowed to eat in the traditional DR. It was our first venture into anytime dining with Princess and must say we LOVED it. We truly enjoyed the different decor in the 4 venues, even though the menus were all identical, except for each having one special dish. We also were so happy that because of their small size, the noise level was kept to a minimum. Much more intimate atmosphere than in the traditional DR. I think you will love having the choices of venues and atmospheres on that ship. Happy Sailing!!!!:o

Just thought I'd put in a plug for anytime dining( believe personal choice is the official term)......eating when and where you want , as opposed to being locked in to a time when you may or may not be hungry. This is especially true on shore days when you return to the ship and feel like napping as opposed to showering and dressing for dinner. Anytime dining means just that--having the freedom to dine when and where you want. Isn't that what vacation is all about?

Thank you all so much for your input! It helps a lot! We are currently signed up for traditional, because that is what we are used to doing. I think we may try going for the adventure and signing up for anytime....

Can we make the switch when we get there? I would think it would be easier to go from traditional to anytime....and we like to eat late at night as opposed to at 6 or 7. So we would be fine with the 8:30, 9, or even 9:30 seats!

Can we make the switch when we get there? I would think it would be easier to go from traditional to anytime....and we like to eat late at night as opposed to at 6 or 7. So we would be fine with the 8:30, 9, or even 9:30 seats!

If you want to switch, try calling TA/Princess now. That makes it easier to reassign your seats to others who may be waitlisted. Plus your traditional table-mates will appreciate not having empty seats. We love doing personal choice!

Just thought I'd put in a plug for anytime dining( believe personal choice is the official term)......eating when and where you want , as opposed to being locked in to a time when you may or may not be hungry. This is especially true on shore days when you return to the ship and feel like napping as opposed to showering and dressing for dinner. Anytime dining means just that--having the freedom to dine when and where you want. Isn't that what vacation is all about?

You are so right, by the time you get back from your excursions you are hot, tired etc. and don't feel like changing for an early dinner in the formal dining room. We just ate at the Horizon Court those days and then when we headed home we went back to the formal dining room.

Archived