Parents-question about going w/out kids

My daughter had to fill out a form at the doctor's office giving me and her dad permission while she and her husband went on their cruise to care for my 2 grandson's. She brought the form home and my husband and I had to sign as well.

Another place you can usually get paper work notorized for free is at your town/city hall.

Here is one that the education thing made me think of. We homeschool three of our four children. When we cruise next year my mother who lives in another school district will be keeping my kids. I am wondering if I should send her a copy of our documents from the state department of education that say we are authorized to home school? Just to cover the bases in case some one decided to be nosey and wonder why my mother did not have my kids at school?

Lastly having a good relationship with a pediatrician you trust will also go a long way in making you feel secure about your child's medical care in your absence. Obviously you need to make a permission letter for consent to treat too but it just helps knowing that your Dr is also part of the team and you know they will give your children the best care even if you are not there.

I take it you are not in the medical or legal field. If it is a life threatening emergency, then usually there is no need for consent. If the kid broke an arm or needs stitches, then it is a different story.

No, I don't work in either field. I'm curious to hear this story then, of the kid who broke his arm and for lack of a consent letter is denied treatment.

No, I don't work in either field. I'm curious to hear this story then, of the kid who broke his arm and for lack of a consent letter is denied treatment.

A fractured arm is not considered a life threatening emergency. I do not write policy, just abide by it. If the fractured arm also involves a loss of pulse, then then fracture is manipulated in order to restore the pulse. Treating a conscious and oriented patient without consent is considered assault. Therefore, the need for the parent, legal guardian comes in place.

A fractured arm is not considered a life threatening emergency. I do not write policy, just abide by it. If the fractured arm also involves a loss of pulse, then then fracture is manipulated in order to restore the pulse. Treating a conscious and oriented patient without consent is considered assault. Therefore, the need for the parent, legal guardian comes in place.

I'm an R.N. and can assure you that a fracture is an urgent condition that WILL be treated even without parental consent.

I'm an R.N. and can assure you that a fracture is an urgent condition that WILL be treated even without parental consent.

Urgent but not life threatening. And an effort will be made to get a hold of a legal guardian. If none is found, treatment will take place after exhausting all measures to contact the parent or legal guardian. Please stick to the facts.

I also work in the medical field and think all this debating is pointless. This is not a discussion about whether or not emergency rooms will treat patients w/o insurance, etc.

Reality is, you must leave a signed consent form giving the temporary guardians permission to seek medical treatment for your children. Leave your insurance cards with them also. As also stated by another poster, it should also state they may make any decisions, including schooling, regarding the child while you are gone. It takes a few second google search to pull one of these forms up. Most states do not require them to be notarized. I am kind of surprised that anyone would not think to do this.

Then, have a great trip.

Archived