Will I see a lot of snakes in Puerto Vallarta

Tinwoman

Do tourists see a lot of snakes in and around the resorts.

Somebody sent me a picture they took of a black looking snake in the water near a beach, EEK! I am totally afraid of them.:eek:

You same as me, I am very PHOBIA of SNAKES:eek:

Scottishwee35

I wouldn't worry about seeing snakes. I have been several times and thank goodness, never saw one, now geckos, that is another story:D

Kris

Lizards really don't bother me, or any other of the "crawlies", bugs and stuff.

Rationally I know they belong in the environment, and should be left alone.

But I have never been able to shake my fear of especially small squiggly snakes.

Seeing a pic of one in the water totally creeped me out.

Hey not that it would ever keep me from going lol :D

It would just be a bonus NOT to see any.:)

I scream when I see a garter snake on TV :eek:

That said in all my times in Mexico I have yet to see a snake, we saw a dead eel once (that looks like a snake but wasn't)

When we are in Nuevo every morning we go for a walk on the beach and can see snake track marks from their early morning crawl and birds feet imprints right next to them......Guess what the birds eat??

If you saw a 'snake' in the water, it probably was a Tiger Snake Eel. The name sounds scary but it is really an eel that is harmless to humans. They go after tiny fish and burry themselves in the sand or mud away from shore.

I understand your fear of snakes but you should not worry about them in PV. Now, if you go hiking in the Arizona desert, that would be a different story.

If you saw a 'snake' in the water, it probably was a Tiger Snake Eel. The name sounds scary but it is really an eel that is harmless to humans. They go after tiny fish and burry themselves in the sand or mud away from shore.

I understand your fear of snakes but you should not worry about them in PV. Now, if you go hiking in the Arizona desert, that would be a different story.

Do they have a flat looking tail, it looked like that one did.

We see a lot of snakes, I live in the country, but geeze when they are in the water I just freak. How embarrassing.:eek:

We just got back from an 8 day Mexican Riviera cruise on NCL Star, and one of our ports of call was P.V. We went to the Krystal so I could have a massage, (highly recommended) and mean while my husband and kids went to the beach. The water was so rough that my 10 yr old son lost his snorkel and a flipper and my husband was trying to find it. He thought he had something in his hand and when he pulled it out of the water it was a black snake! They quickly retreated to the pool after that and I am glad I was getting my massage and not there with them as I would have freaked! The kids thought it was funny though!:)

We just got back from an 8 day Mexican Riviera cruise on NCL Star, and one of our ports of call was P.V. We went to the Krystal so I could have a massage, (highly recommended) and mean while my husband and kids went to the beach. The water was so rough that my 10 yr old son lost his snorkel and a flipper and my husband was trying to find it. He thought he had something in his hand and when he pulled it out of the water it was a black snake! They quickly retreated to the pool after that and I am glad I was getting my massage and not there with them as I would have freaked! The kids thought it was funny though!:)

OMG:eek::eek::eek:

The pool sounds nice.

We see a lot of snakes, I live in the country, but geeze when they are in the water I just freak.

Perhaps a nice drive in the country is more to your liking, Shirley.

Look what happened to Tinman when he got wet.

I have been in Vallarta for almost 10 years now, and from the beach I have never seen a snake. From the boat we have seen some, but they are rare.

There is only one species here in the bay, that is yellow with black. If you saw a completly black one, it might have been an eel.

I bet you and your husband are fun and make a real "clang ----*%)%$#$" togeher, Shirley.

Tieso de Pacifico, or Pacific Snake Eel, is not a snake but really an eel. Maybe that seems like the same thing but it really is not to a true naturalist. This one does have a flat, pointy tail. Notice the gills and petral fin behind the head, not at all like a snake.

They may be great eating when they are smoked (just like back in Volendam).

Eel.jpg

12B@C, you are right, that is an Eel, have you been in Volendam??? Anyway, there is also a kind of seasnake in the bay, but, once again, they are very rare to see. I have been going out on a boat for 7 years, evey day during the whaleseason, and only saw them twice.

This is the species:

Ok, I do not know how to put a picture here, but you can see it at

http://www.1-costaricalink.com/costa_rica_fauna/wildlife_images/pelagic_sea_snake.jpg too

I made once a really cool picture, if someone can explain me how to put it here I will

Oh my gosh, I'm going to have nightmares tonight :eek:

###

12B@C, you are right, that is an Eel, have you been in Volendam??? Anyway, there is also a kind of seasnake in the bay, but, once again, they are very rare to see. I have been going out on a boat for 7 years, evey day during the whaleseason, and only saw them twice.

This is the species:

Ok, I do not know how to put a picture here, but you can see it at

http://www.1-costaricalink.com/costa_rica_fauna/wildlife_images/pelagic_sea_snake.jpg too

I made once a really cool picture, if someone can explain me how to put it here I will

I saw an episode of the Crocodile Hunter where they were off the coast of Asia, I believe, picking up sea snakes to milk them for their venom. Very danagerous snake and it seems the were out at night only.

Do tourists see a lot of snakes in and around the resorts.

Somebody sent me a picture they took of a black looking snake in the water near a beach, EEK! I am totally afraid of them.:eek:

I have not thought about snakes... I really hate them and if I saw one it would totally ruin my cruise......

I saw an episode of the Crocodile Hunter where they were off the coast of Asia, I believe, picking up sea snakes to milk them for their venom. Very danagerous snake and it seems the were out at night only.

I've seen a few while snorkeling in Komodo, Indonesia, in broad daylight. The ones I saw were white with black stripes - beautiful. I mentioned seeing one to an Indonesian crew who was snorkeling with me. He said sea snakes are deadly, and he got the hell out of the area, never saw anyone swim so fast. It must be really dangerous. However, later I was told that sea snakes venom takes long to produce, therefore snakes don't bite unless they really need to. Hope it's correct.

But I have never seen a sea snake in Mexico. Water is too cold for them there.

• 6 years later...
I was snorkeling among the rocks down by Los Arcos close to the beach and a bright yellow and black sea snake swam along the bottom about 4 feet below me. Yes, they are there. It didn't seem to pay any attention to me.

You do know you're responding to a 7 y.o. thread.:confused:

What's wrong with snakes? They don't want anything to do with you. And, btw, the coral snake may be poisonous but their teeth are so small they can't bite you except maybe in the skin between your thumb and fingers.

I HATE SNAKES! And we love Puerto Vallarta. Have lived in PV during the winter (2 months a year) for about 10 years and have never spotted a snake. On the other hand, we do have iguanas :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner