Seadream/Seabourn

Surfgirl

I sailed Windstar and loved it... but I'm ready to try something different. I've heard SeaDream is a step up in service and food... and was all set to book a SeaDream cruise. But then, I heard about Seabourn. Now I'm TOTALLY confused as to what to do..

I realize since this is the Seadream forum, people probably prefer this cruise line.. I'm just looking for some sort of comparison as to what makes each one distinctive. For example, I have heard the dress code is more formal on Seabourn (which is OK by me either way).

Have any of you cruised both Seadream and Seabourn and can break down the differences for me? Pros/cons?

Sea Dream dress is comparable to WindStar. Seabourn still has formal nights. SilverSeas has a coat after 6pm rule which is enforced. Sea Dream and WindStar cabins are very comparable. Sea Dream bathrooms are smaller but showers are larger. Seabourn has larger cabins. SilverSeas has the nicest and biggest cabins. Service is definitely better on Sea Dream, Seabourn, and Silverseas over WindStar - not that service is bad on WindStar. Windstar and Sea Dream have comparable clientele. Seabourn and SilverSeas appear to be slightly older. We have sailed all four. We are sailing Sea Dream next week and Seabourn in January. We let the itinerary and price make the decision for us. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Thank you, HotRoot. That helps a lot. I think at this point, I'm leaning towards SeaDream. I like the fact that you can sleep under the stars on SeaDream. We did that on Windjammer. I'm also interested in the sports deck. I love to swim off the side of the ship as we did on Windstar.

DH and I have sailed SD and Seabourn ... and SD wins hands down!

Here are links to the comparison and reviews I did after our first Seabourn cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463309

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463313

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463753

If you still have questions please ask away ...

Great reviews, DisneyJen.. thank you for pointing me to them. They were very detailed and helped me decide. I'm going to do SeaDream. Yes, I do have some questions, thanks.

What is the "average passenger" like on SeaDream? On Windjammer, they all seemed to be married couples who were in their 60's. I'm still single and younger (although age isn't an issue.. I get along with everyone and fit in well with younger and older people... I was just curious). I don't mind, but was wondering if there are any singles? Seems like I'm the only one left on this planet!

Does SeaDream include any excursions, or are they all optional as per a conventional cruise ship?

Is there any area of cabins that you would recommend over others (for noise, etc).

And.. what's the story about the Segways? Does anyone ever use them?

What are your favorite things about SeaDream? Anything you think they can improve on?

Surfgirl,

We've also sailed on SD and Seabourn and I agree with DisneyJen completely that SD is better.

Seabourn definately attracts an 'older' crowd ( we're late 30's), which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but it also seems to have a high percentage of repeat passengers, some of whom seem to believe they own the ship.

On our sailings, Seabourn promised alot but failed to deliver on a number of occassions. Their ships are very strangely designed with the pool tucked away in a corner, almost as though it was an after thought. However, I would say that the food without exception was excellent.

SD from our experience attracts a slightly younger more active crowd.

Ok, the cabins are fairly small and possibly a bit dated, but you're really not in them alot.

Every crew member does seem to care that you're having a good time.

Again the food and service are excellent.

Even when this go wrong as happened with our transatlantic crossing last November, the SD service was outstanding, in our opinion.

(We took a Windstar cruise as a last minute replacement, and apart from the cabin which we thought was spacious, modern and well equiped, I can't think of anything else good to say about them).

Great reviews, DisneyJen.. thank you for pointing me to them. They were very detailed and helped me decide. I'm going to do SeaDream. Yes, I do have some questions, thanks.

What is the "average passenger" like on SeaDream? On Windjammer, they all seemed to be married couples who were in their 60's. I'm still single and younger (although age isn't an issue.. I get along with everyone and fit in well with younger and older people... I was just curious). I don't mind, but was wondering if there are any singles? Seems like I'm the only one left on this planet!

Does SeaDream include any excursions, or are they all optional as per a conventional cruise ship?

Is there any area of cabins that you would recommend over others (for noise, etc).

And.. what's the story about the Segways? Does anyone ever use them?

What are your favorite things about SeaDream? Anything you think they can improve on?

I don't know if there is an "average" SD passenger. On our 3 SD cruises (which have all been in the Caribbean) we've seen singles, mostly couples (a few same sex but mostly hetro), folks between 30 and 80 who enjoy an active lifestyle. DH and I, who are in our mid 40s, find that age really isn't a factor on SD because everyone is young in thought and heart:p SD doesn't draw a lot of singles but there are some.

All of the cabins, except the Owner's Suite, are exactly the same. If your are prone to seasickness or if you mind motion I would recommend a midship, Deck 3 cabin. Also, I would avoid the Commodore Cabins (haven't stayed in one myself) because of the adjoining like partition (think adjoining door in a hotel).

We have stayed on Deck 2, 3 and 4 ... we like each level although some folks have said that they find Deck 2 noise because of the engines/pumps.

Excursions, except for the Caviar and Champagne splash, are NOT included. The splash is usually held on the last day of the cruise and it is not to be missed!

DH has rented the Seqways a couple of time ... he and the Activities Director have tooled around the port areas on them.

If you read my SD1 March 16 to 23 review you will find all of the things I LOVE about SD ... the crew, staff, yacht.

Things that I would like to see improved are the cost of Internet connectivity ($35 per day is high IMHO) and more outlets in the cabin. Also, I would love to see a wine package where you pay a flat feel of say $150 and then pick bottles off the reserve list. I actually had a conversation on the Internet and wine package ideas with the wonderful Christophe Cornu, Executive Hotel Manager extraordinare, on our last cruise. So who knows...

I really had to reach to find areas to improve:p

Since you're looking for a comparison, and in the interest of fairness, why don't you post the same question on the Seabourn board. These boards are highly partisan so you should get everyone's point of view before deciding.

Since you're looking for a comparison, and in the interest of fairness, why don't you post the same question on the Seabourn board. These boards are highly partisan so you should get everyone's point of view before deciding.

Good point wripro!

I felt that some of the repeat passengers on Sea Dream, Seabourn, and SilverSeas felt they owned the ship. It was easier to stay away from them on Seabourn and SilverSeas because the ships are larger. We sailed Windstar in Costa Rica and loved it. Looked at doing it again in the Med but cost steared us away. I liked the fact that at times we were actually sailing. But, if you are used to all-inclusive cruises, you could be disappointed with WindStar because you have to deal with always signing those tickets. But, then, we have never been on a bad cruise.

Remember that the owner of SeaDream is the original owner of Seabourn, so there are many similarities. I LOVE SeaDream and I LOVE Seabourn. Seabourn is more formal, and more-"ship-like", whereas SeaDream is more like your own private Yacht, (with 100 of your closest friends). The only thing that might make the difference is the fact that if SeaDream has a group or large family traveling together, the "mix" might not be favorable. (Same for Seabourn, but less of a chance with twice as many passengers)

Host Dan

One other difference to consider is itineraries. Sea Dream mostly does only 7 day Caribbean or Med cruises while Seabourn has those as well as longer cruises to more and different destinations. The truth is you can't go wrong with either one. And aren't we lucky to even be able to have to make such a decision.

Jen,

Is the Bali bed really the issue?:eek: The choice of which office is available seems a much larger issue. Lots of Bali beds, just two offices:D .

Work has been so hectic that we have not had a chance to write the comparison. Actually considering waiting until after the Regent Alaska cruise to write a three way.

Hope you and Dear A, and DD are well, Wonderful trip and great to meet ya. C says to say hello, and she is ready to book 2 more cruises on SD, one Trans Atlantic and another trip next year. She was shocked at how amazing the entire SD experience can be. WHEW I was on the hook for that one.

I'll Email ya later

Taylor

Glad to see that you have surfaced Taylor! DH and I were beginning to wonder if you and C ever made it out of SJU:p

Excellent point on the office situation:D Seems like that is where we should all be about this time of day ... I just talked to jbcjtc (about 30 minutes ago) and we were saying how we missed our get-togethers pre and post dinner.

To keep us on topic ...

Taylor, you and C are really in an excellent position to give a read on the SB and SD experience as you are veteran SBers who have just completed your inaugural SD cruise!

Looking for an email from you in my inbox:D

This thread went way off topic...fast! (I added OT posts as well..sorry)

Lets keep the thread titled "SeaDream/Seabourn" about just that, a comparison of the two!

Host Dan

You will never be disappointed with either line. Service is excellent, fellow passengers are almost always interesting and friendly. Cabins are similar but reversed. On SD bed is by the window, on SB sofa is by the window. SD has dedicated shower, SB has shower-tub, little things like that.

There are several points of real difference though:

1) SB has guest speakers / enrichment program (usually quite interesting)

2) SB has some (very limited) entertainment. Cabaret shows, etc.

3) SB has one or two formal nights (DW and I actually like them, are we alone?)

4) SB has more dining variety and choices of cuisine.

5) SD is more intimate and feels more like "your own personal boat"

6) SD has lots of "nooks" where you can curl up and relax with a book, etc.

7) SD hits some more esoteric ports (Saba, and Montserrat on Caribbean routes for example)

8) Spa experience is comparable on both as are staff

I would say if you are the type who likes nothing better than to immerse yourself in a good book and shut out the world on vacation then SD may be for you, if you would like a little more opportunity for group interaction (but NOTHING like the cattle drives on mass market ships) then give SB a try.

Or ideally try them both and decide for yourself ;-)

DW and I like to rotate. Last cruise was SD, then did a land base on Turks and Ciacos, next time is SB again. Variety is the spice of life.

Archived