Safe palce to buy jewelry in Caribbean

We will be on the AOS on the Barbados route this may. Where is a good place to get quality rings in St. Martin or St. Thomas? Looking for platinum and diamonds. I don't want to get caught in the ol' switch aroo. I heard that there are places(not on the ship) that RCL guarantees the quality?

Thanks for the help.

I believe St. Martin is the best place for jewelry. You will find all you need downtown. It's a short water-taxi, or taxi from the pier.

Before every island, RC gives a shopping brief. They will give you recommendations of good jewelers and tell you which ones to avoid.

Know what you want BEFORE you buy! Compare here in the States, so you'll at least be informed! Just because RCI "recommends" a certain shop, doesn't mean it's a guarantee of good quality, despite their claims! Caveat emptor, and all that....

Do your homework here in a local store or on the internet. Know your 4C's and you should know what I am talking about.;) I have had great luck in both places and the pieces have appraised for at least double that I paid but I knew what I was looking for.

I have had great experiences at Diamond's International and Kay's in St Martin (not the chain).

Have fun looking.

I have bought jewelry in St Thomas and Jamaica. I'm sorry I don't have the names of the stores as it was a few years back. The green tourmaline I bought in St Thomas was purchased at a jeweler at Havensight. I paid $500 for it. When I got home I instantly brought it to my jeweler and he said it was worth 1100. I was happy with that ring! The other piece I bought in Ocho Rios was the Waterfall ring they offered a few years ago. It is a 1/2 carat. I paid 300.00 and it was apprasied back here for 600.00. Just be careful where you shop - go with your gut feelling. if there are salesmen outside attempting to pull you in to their store - avoid it. Diamonds International is a a chain worth looking into. Just make sure you know your ABC's of whatever piece you are trying to obtain. The guarantee with the cruise line is also a good thing. Good luck!

I have been on 3 cruises and each time bought one nice piece of jewelry, either at Diamonds International or Tanzanite International. They are located in just about every Caribbean port. I didn't intentionally plan to buy exclusively at these stores. I usually browsed in many shops before deciding on a piece I liked the best. I have been extremely happy with their quality and pricing. They sometimes wll negotiate a bit, but not too much. They don't charge the list price. I feel safe buying from a bigger well known dealer rather than a local store that may difficult to deal with if you had a problem. Each of their stores have there own unique pieces so if you don't see something you like at one port you may at the next. Best wishes on finding the perfect piece:)

I've bought at Diamonds International. Also had success at Little Switzerland. When a bracelet I bought in Alaska broke, I contacted the Little Switzerland, sent them the bracelet, and they either repaired or replaced it--not sure which, but it's been perfect ever since!

We generally buy jewelry in St Maarten. there is a store we have purchased from for over 20yrs. Royal Caribbean Jewelers (no affiliation whatsoever to RCCL). This is a family run place and the same family, mom, dad, 2 sons, cousin have been there for as long as we have been going there. We do know what we are buying and this is a must if you intend on buying diamonds, gems, etc. The merchandise we have purchased in the past has always appraised close to, or at least double what we have paid. Also if want to haggle a bit, make sure you are not using a credit card for purchases. Cash, or travelers checks works best.

My wife has found Diamonds International to be her favorite. She has made some great deals there. She never take their first, second or third price. Name brands, ie John Hardy, Yurman etc, are usually 20 percent of retail. The same with most mid-high end watches.

As others have said before, do your homework before you cruise. Also check out the store on the ship. They will match any price you find on shore.

My TA recommended a great guy in St. Thomas, Grand Jewelers, ask for Jackie. I recently referred him to a friend of mine who bought their engagement rings from him. Hers appraised 4x more than they paid and his about 2x. They were beautiful and custom made.

Another friend has spent about $50k+ in jewelry from him in the last couple years, you should see the work they do it's awesome. I've purchased a few things as well, never had any issues nor have my friends.

There is a place in St. Thomas called Ajanta Jewelers. It's just of the main shopping street in a lil passageway called Drakes Passage. It was recommended to DW and by a TA friend who had been going there for the last 20+ years. We went and were treated extremely well!! As others have said tho, do some research ahead of time, know approximately what you want and what you're willing to pay, and then stick with that no matter what anyone says!

Warren and Yvonne

SLCBoys, we have shopped at Grand Jewelers for over 20 years. Our first visit was when his Uncle Tony owned the shop. They have always been great. In September of 2006 we bought a 3/4 diamond solitaire from Jackie. Last June we went into the Grand Jewelers in St. Marten and wanted to upgrade to a carat. We told them we had bought the ring from Jackie. They looked at the stone and we didn't like what they wanted to give us. We told them to phone Jackie and he told them what we had paid. Yes, the quality of their work is great and they are very willing to deal with you.

Archived