hat blown off

puggal

On our first cruise on the Navigator, one of our friends bought a straw hat in the market in the Bahamas. He was so proud of the price he was able to negotiate and thought he looked like Indiana Jones or something in it. The next day (a sea day), he wore that hat everywhere until a stiff wind blew it right off his head....out to sea. He lamented the rest of the day. The last day of the cruise, my husband and I were in the solarium and he was standing at the window looking out. Lo and behold, there was our friend's hat wedged in between a rail and the exterior of the ship. My husband got a deck hand to fish it out with a long pole. That night at dinner, my husband arrived last to the table wearing the Hat. Everyone had a good laugh and we learned that the old saying is true, "hold onto your hat!"

One of our friends was just getting off the ship in St. Thomas, and his hat blew off. A few of us chased it, but it ended up in the water....it was a great reason to go shopping for another souvenir! I have noticed many days near the gangway, it is windy. ( you also need to hold on to your seapass as you get back on the ship!)

My daughter lost her Seapass when we were getting back on a Disney ship. It blew under the gangway, but a crew member retrieved it. :)

My DH has a great solution to that. He has an open sports car, so he takes a lanyard and puts one end through the back of the cap where the adjustable band is, and the through the other end of the lanyard, so it's like a slip knot. Then he puts the lanyard around his neck. If it blows off, his lanyard just lets it hang down his back.

That's a great idea! My DH does not wear a lanyard, but does wear one of those stings to keep his sunglasses in check. He could string that through his golf cap. He lost his favorite hat on Splash Mountain at Disney World. (Yes, it was the same trip!)

what if you wore a wig? THEN what?? :eek:
Seen plenty of toupee's in a vertical position. :D

jeh4554 - That's a great story! :D

There was a lady on another thread who had a story about her wig...seems she went through one of those areas where the wind can really whip around and her wig went flying into another pax's plate of food...she was quite mortifyed...:)

OP....purchase a Tilley hat....I have worn mine during sailing around hurricane Lily....walking up to the observation deck on Rhapsody of the Seas....hardly able to walk, but the hat stayed on with NO hands. It has a wide brim too for shading the face.

They are guaranteed NOT to blow off your head...and if they do and get lost....they are replaced free by the company. I don't know how good that is, because I have never lost mine yet.

My dad lost his Tilley when sailing (in a sailboat) across the Atlantic and they replaced it, so it seems worth it!

I haven't lost a hat onboard but I do the walk a mile every morning and one day I rounded a corner at the back of the ship and there was a HUGE breeze. My t-shirt blew up over my head. Luckilly there was no one around but my husband thought it was quite funny....

There is something called a "hat clip" that is made to secure your hat during any activity where there might be a sudden wind.

My hubby uses one of these to hold his ball cap on when we ski (still trying to get him to wear a helmet). You can adjust them so that they keep the hat on pretty snug. He has never lost a hat.

There is something called a "hat clip" that is made to secure your hat during any activity where there might be a sudden wind. My DH is a ME Guide and flyfishes here in Maine and uses one most of the time. It is a string with a clip at each end. One end clips to the back of the hat and the other to the back of the collar.

I've used one of these when snow skiing, they work really well! :cool:

There is something called a "hat clip" that is made to secure your hat during any activity where there might be a sudden wind. My DH is a ME Guide and flyfishes here in Maine and uses one most of the time. It is a string with a clip at each end. One end clips to the back of the hat and the other to the back of the collar. He's never lost a favorite hat. We have also used a piece of fly line (any small string or shoelace would work) to fashion a similar contraption for folks for whitewater rafting, etc. The flyline simply is tied to the back of the hat and one can make a small hole through the tag in the back of the shirt. If you don't want to make a hole, simply make one out of a piece of ribbon and attach two small safety pins to each end. Presto...hat clip.

Same concept as the lanyard idea I posted above. The hat just has to have some type of "tether".

I cannot use hair clips, etc., because I have very short hair on the sides and back of my head.

When your walking around the ship, have you ever lost your hat to the wind? I've been told I should where a hat at all times b/c of my fair skin and so my part in my hair doesn't get sunburn. I was planning on just bringing a ball cap but don't want to lose it. Do any of you where a hat/cap when walking around the outside of lounging at the pool?

Get yourself a hat pin.. You can find one on ebay.. some of them are very cool.. and not expensive!

When your walking around the ship, have you ever lost your hat to the wind? I've been told I should where a hat at all times b/c of my fair skin and so my part in my hair doesn't get sunburn. I was planning on just bringing a ball cap but don't want to lose it. Do any of you where a hat/cap when walking around the outside of lounging at the pool?

I wear a large brimmed straw hat with a leather strap that I can tighten under my chin...it's great for shore excursions also because I can take it off when I'm inside and it hangs around my neck so I don't have to hold onto it. Something like this:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=417&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C250%2C285&iProductID=417&sortBy=0

Much more stylish than a baseball cap and it also protects the back of your neck and your ears from getting burned.

this reminds me of a cruise i took, i decided iwanted to look cool so i bought 300 dollar raybans and on the second day i was looking overboard and my glasses went poof. I almost went scuba diving in Matinique for them. Im now back to Wal-Mart sun glasses.

last Sept, on the Med, one of the sea days. We spent the day on the deck overlooking the pool and went up & down to get our food. I came back up the stairs with my hamburger and the wind took the top bun right off and it drifted in front of a crew member who was standing by some kind of cart, went right by a man's face and landed in his wife's lap. We all cracked up, and I went back and got a new bun. Kept my hand on top of it on the way back up!

Hilarious!

There was a lady on another thread who had a story about her wig...seems she went through one of those areas where the wind can really whip around and her wig went flying into another pax's plate of food...she was quite mortifyed...:)

oh now i'm really worried and our cruise isn't even booked yet :(

this reminds me of a cruise i took, i decided iwanted to look cool so i bought 300 dollar raybans and on the second day i was looking overboard and my glasses went poof. I almost went scuba diving in Matinique for them. Im now back to Wal-Mart sun glasses.

My hubby buys the expensive sunglasses then obsesses about losing them, not losing them, do I have them etc etc. I now buy mine at the Dollar Store--not Ray Bans but not bad. And for $1 I don't stress about losing them (and in 3 years I have not lost any-of course!!!)

I try to use a hat with chin straps (and a liberal amount of sunscreen on my hair part, ears, neck, etc) A warning about the straps... I was on a speedboat during an excursion in Belize and the wind was so strong, I started to actually be choked by the strap as the wind caught the hat and tried to lift it back and up... I still had to hold onto my hat with my hands. But that was a very extreme situation. The chin strap held up fine... I wish I could say the same about the hat, I sort of crushed it with my death grip during that excursion :rolleyes:

I was going to mention the hat clip. I have one for the baseball hat that I wear in my convertible. I attach one clip to the back of the hat, above the hole in the hat, and the other end is attached to the collar of my shirt. I also have long hair, so I'll put it up in a ponytail and thread the ponytail through the back of the cap. Go to a sporting goods store and look in the section that has the sunglass straps and watch straps that are made out of thin colored rope.

You might look at Columbia PFG (performance fishing gear) hats. They have a short cable with a clip to clip it onto your shirt or top. Similar to a baseball cap, but lightweight. Handwash and line dry. I have one in Khaki that I love. Always wear it on windy days at the beach or on a boat. If it flys off..it's anchored!

Archived