What voltage?

The Med

Except the Sea, which has at least 1 UK electrical outlet in each cabin, I believe. Seems to me I saw one on the Royal, but someone else might confirm that, also.

I know there are some exceptions - that is why I asked.

Also, some ships are dual voltage (Royal, Tahitian and Pacific Princess) in the cabins.

Emerald Princess has 110 and 220 volt receptacles in every cabin.

That is great - I wonder if they are doing this with the new ships.

It is nice to just bring adapters for those coming from Europe and other places.

Emerald Princess has 110 and 220 volt receptacles in every cabin.

Are you stating that there are 110/220 receptacles at the dressing table? Or are you referring to the 220 outlet in the bathroom area that is for 'shavers only'?

The reason I ask is that most ships have a 220 V outlet in the bathroom, but they will not work for most 220 appliances.

Are you stating that there are 110/220 receptacles at the dressing table? Or are you referring to the 220 outlet in the bathroom area that is for 'shavers only'?

The reason I ask is that most ships have a 220 V outlet in the bathroom, but they will not work for most 220 appliances.

????

Sorry that was my confused question. You said there are 220V outlet in the bathroom but will not work for 220V appliances. Why?

The 220V outlet in the bathroom is for shavers only and it can handle only very low wattage. That is the reason it says 'shavers only' on the outlet. You can not plug in 220 volt electrical appliances and use them in the bathroom outlet, it won't take them (overload).

Most cruise ships are built in Europe or Asia, where nearly every country has 220 volt everything. Not surprisingly, the ships are also 220 volt nearly everywhere onboard.

It wouldn't really matter though, as most Asian and European appliances are multi-voltage anyway.

For those electrically challenged people in North America, cruise ships install a number of step-down transformers in accommodations areas so the Americans can operate their single voltage devices at 110 volts.

Cruise ships (and their step-down transformers) cannot be "grounded" in the same manner as you would ground the electrical system at home. That's why the outlet in your bathroom will not accommodate any high wattage appliances. If it could handle high power appliances, and you decided to drop your hairdryer into the handwashing sink, you would probably be electrocuted.

In any case, nearly every modern international cruise ship today has at least one regular 220 volt outlet in your cabin. It might be located behind your television, or behind the sofa, but it is there.

Cruise ships (and their step-down transformers) cannot be "grounded" in the same manner as you would ground the electrical system at home.

One of the least understood aspects of a boats electrical system, and the most troublesome, is the proper method of grounding

from

http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/ElectricalSystems.htm

Archived