Earliest flight time after cruise?

TwoMateys

Presuming you dock at 7, you must wait for the ship to be cleared, then you must wait for EVERYONE to pay their bills. If you carry your luggage off you will not be alone The hordes will block the exits and aisles all over the ship. So let's presume you are being watched over by the angels and you are off the ship by 7:30 seeking a cab. You will then have a haul to FLL from the port, about 30-40 minutes on a really good day. By the time you get to check your bags and hit the TSA line it is reasonable to think it would be 10. That should get you to your gate by 10:45.

Now lets talk reality. I have not taken into consideration any delays anywhere......no joker who is holding up disembarkation by not settling his bill, no surprise delay in Customs and Immigration clearance, no ship of 2000 passengers who have all decided to carry off their own luggage, no cab line of less than a twenty minute wait, and lastly the madhouse that is FLL on cruise days. Add to the givens are the delays that can be caused by heightened airport security that necessitate you to be there three hours before your flight just to get through.

We get nervous with a noon flight out of FLL while docking in FLL which is a ten minute ride away. Our normal FLL time from curb to gate on a cruise day has always been over an hour since the TSA security stuff.

I think most will join me in urging you to check out later alternatives.

I'll be brief & to the point - no.

Even if you were disembarking at Port Everglades this would be a stretch. Also don't forget to factor in whatever cruise related traffic you'll encounter once you get to FLL, there could be 2,3,4 or more ships in Port Everglades that day and those people are most likely heading to FLL for their flights so you won't be alone.

I have taken many flights out of FLL at 11:35 but my ship docked at Port Everglades which is 10 minutes away.

Miami pier is 45 mintues to an hour away--depending on traffic.

Now you can debark carrying off your luggage and be off the ship by 8am-- will put you at the airport by 9.

you jsut had a nice relaxing vacation= why stress making that flight.

What are the options out f Miami= (transportation will cost you about 75.00 each eay to get from airport to ship so factor that into the cost of flying into FLL

Miami pier is 45 mintues to an hour away--depending on traffic.

Now you can debark carrying off your luggage and be off the ship by 8am-- will put you at the airport by 9.

Just to add emphasis here, you COULD be to FLL IF everything in Miami goes smoothly. However that is a big COULD, especially for everything being out of your control.

I don't mean to harp here, I just want to emphasize that when it comes to scheduling air travel that it pays to play it conservative and plan for the worst.

I have a similar question. We are disembarking at Port Everglades and heading to the Fort Lauderdale airport. We would like to arrange a post-cruise flight leaving at 11:25. Is this still risky with the port to airport ride at only 10 min.? Also, what is the very earliest time that people get off the ship? We have had later flights in the past and have never had to worry about this. Thanks for any input!!

If everything goes right, you could conceivably make that 11:25AM flight out of FLL. To do this you'll need to be at FLL no later than 10:00AM.

ut there are several factors that could affect this:

- how many ships are in Port Everglades that day as this will affect the number of taxis available, lines at the airport, etc.

- does disembarkation go smoothly or the Johnsons from cabin 1201 hold up everything since they haven't presented themselves for customs yet?

- does the ship arrive on time? I've heard of mechanical problems that delay the ship getting back until 7AM or so (usually they arrive at Port Everglades around 4 or 5AM) and then this just backs up everything

So in theory, yes, you can make it. Are you willing to chance it? Only you can answer that question.

I have a similar question. We are disembarking at Port Everglades and heading to the Fort Lauderdale airport. We would like to arrange a post-cruise flight leaving at 11:25. Is this still risky with the port to airport ride at only 10 min.? Also, what is the very earliest time that people get off the ship? We have had later flights in the past and have never had to worry about this. Thanks for any input!!

we have cruised out of FLL a few times-- each time taking the 11:30- 11:45 flight.

We do not take our own luggage off- but do take our fligth information tot he pursers desk with confirmation of flights- we are given early of tags #3 to get off the ship (1-2 were self emarbakation)

we have been at the airport by 9am.

Taking the early off tags allows us a breakfast which we eat in the dining room-- less crowded - less stressful. (almsot all passengers will be at the buffet.

Princess has the easiest disembarkation I have ever experinced.

Yeah...it's very tempting...I'm flying to Fll for cruising out of Miami next Jan..

Air Tran is offering a $55 special leaving at 11:15 out of flll ... we disembark at port of Miami around 8:00.

But it's so true that you don't need the stress of having to hurry after such a relaxing vacation...so i'll fly into Fll and fly out of Mia and take my ol' sweet time.

Good cruising!

manmtnmike

Also airlines have those pre-noon flights out of FLL priced so attractively because they know that most cruise passengers can't take those flights.

There's a reason why the prices are what they are.

For those with experience doing the Port of Miami to FLL run, what WOULD be the earliest flight time you'd safely consider?

Noon? 1:00?

We have yet to purchase our airfare but right now, flights out of FLL are running cheaper than out of MIA. I want to leave us adequate time to get up there.

For those with experience doing the Port of Miami to FLL run, what WOULD be the earliest flight time you'd safely consider?

Noon? 1:00?

We have yet to purchase our airfare but right now, flights out of FLL are running cheaper than out of MIA. I want to leave us adequate time to get up there.

the savings would have to warrant a price to transfer to the cruiseport.

With a savings of over 700.00 - a group of 6 adults did this and rented a limo for 33.00 pp roundtrip-- so for us the savings were phenomenal.

If you are only saving 25.-50 bucks-- not worth it.. time is worth money too.

I would shoot more for a 1pm flight then one at noon. that way there is no stress.

the savings would have to warrant a price to transfer to the cruiseport.

With a savings of over 700.00 - a group of 6 adults did this and rented a limo for 33.00 pp roundtrip-- so for us the savings were phenomenal.

If you are only saving 25.-50 bucks-- not worth it.. time is worth money too.

I would shoot more for a 1pm flight then one at noon. that way there is no stress.

Thanks, serene...I was hoping 1pm would be a good time as some of the airline schedules I've been watching have flights around that time.

The savings right now to go into FLL are running anywhere from $350-900 depending on airline chosen for the four of us. While I'd love to fly into Miami to shorten the travel time, sadly the flight schedules right now have departures on debarkation day that leave either before 10am or after 5pm...nothing in between.

Best pricing comes from Southwest who only flies into FLL, not Miami. We're coming in the day before and staying overnight in Miami (hotel has shuttle to the port, only $10 each). I'm thinking it may be cheaper for us to just rent a car in FLL for the drive down; this way we can stop at the store for last-minute stuff and have a car to get to a restaurant for dinner.

Thanks, serene...I was hoping 1pm would be a good time as some of the airline schedules I've been watching have flights around that time.

The savings right now to go into FLL are running anywhere from $350-900 depending on airline chosen for the four of us. While I'd love to fly into Miami to shorten the travel time, sadly the flight schedules right now have departures on debarkation day that leave either before 10am or after 5pm...nothing in between.

Best pricing comes from Southwest who only flies into FLL, not Miami. We're coming in the day before and staying overnight in Miami (hotel has shuttle to the port, only $10 each). I'm thinking it may be cheaper for us to just rent a car in FLL for the drive down; this way we can stop at the store for last-minute stuff and have a car to get to a restaurant for dinner.

We used a limo service-- who will stop and get us our goodies.

Many hotels have free shuttles to the port- 40 bucks for your family of 4 to get to the port is alot of money-- is your hotel out of the way or something? Many hotels are within walking distance to area eateries too

We used a limo service-- who will stop and get us our goodies.

Many hotels have free shuttles to the port- 40 bucks for your family of 4 to get to the port is alot of money-- is your hotel out of the way or something? Many hotels are within walking distance to area eateries too

Using a car service really would be preferable, mostly because I don't want the hassle of returning the car and getting to the port. I really wasn't sure if making a store-stop would be possible. If you remember the name of the limo service, I'd appreciate if you'd pass it on to me. e-mail is comboz@hogstrough.com.

A good friend arranged for our hotel accommodations using a reward certificate at the Embassy Suites-Miami Airport. I know there's a restaurant on site, but honestly no clue about what might be within walking distance.

We may end up just ordering pizza delivery.

Archived