Worst case scenario for sneaking on alcohol.

cybx

I've seen a number of posts where people have sneaked alcohol onto their ship and a few posts where people have been caught doing so. In cruise lines' official policy it seems they can be pretty harsh about trying to sneak on booze but in reality they don't seem to do much about it or completely ignore it.

Has anybody had to do anything worse than maybe give up the booze or dump it?

I've seen a number of posts where people have sneaked alcohol onto their ship and a few posts where people have been caught doing so. In cruise lines' official policy it seems they can be pretty harsh about trying to sneak on booze but in reality they don't seem to do much about it or completely ignore it.

I've seen a few bottles confiscated from carry-ons (don't people read the rules?), and have heard that if you're caught with it in checked luggage, they just take it also, the punishment is no worse than that. I'm familiar with Carnival which does xray all checked luggage, but they are looking for weapons, not alcohol. I have heard of people have something 'suspicious' in a suitcase and were asked to open it to see what it was (curling iron, etc.) and they also found and took the alcohol, so be careful what you pack in the 'alcohol' suitcase.

Hope those bottles people 'sneak' aboard don't leak onto my suitcase. Your bottle could break and not only wreck your clothes but other people's as well.

You know the rules. Do you not think they apply to all of us? Do we only follow the rules we approve of?

Hope those bottles people 'sneak' aboard don't leak onto my suitcase. Your bottle could break and not only wreck your clothes but other people's as well.

You know the rules. Do you not think they apply to all of us? Do we only follow the rules we approve of?

Very well said sail7seas! I agree 100%;)

1) It's very unlikely that I'd even attempt to do this as I am paranoid about what would happen if I got caught.

2) I would never use a glass bottle in the first place, for the reason you mentioned above (and if you are worried about plastic containers causing problems you may want to write the cruise line and ask them to ban all liquids on checked baggage).

3) I take it you have never broken any rules yourself?

i don't know which cruiseline you want to go with, but i cruise with royal. i know that they confiscate the ETOH from checked and carry ons. They are cracking down. This IS a hot topic on the boards because people are either for bringing their own alcohol on with them or not. Posters will feel strongly about this, so be prepared. Royal's offical policy is that they can DENY YOU BOARDING for trying to bring alcohol. I have never heard or seen this happen, but that is their official policy. On my last cruise, less than a year ago, i saw port authorities at boarding stopping folks for trying to bring alcohol on board and taking it from them as well as having a nice discussion with them in the port in front of everyone else that's boarding. Talk about embarassing!! And, this wasn't spring break. :-) If you're worried, just buy your alcohol on board.

...2) I would never use a glass bottle in the first place, for the reason you mentioned above (and if you are worried about plastic containers causing problems you may want to write the cruise line and ask them to ban all liquids on checked baggage)....

I've never in my life had alcohol ruin my clothes and I've, um, tested it many times. But from some of the packing lists that get posted here, there's way more stuff in someone else's luggage that could seep into yours.

A simple bottle of sunscreen, nail polish remover or Nair could blech up your stuff mighty bad.

Ditto!! They do offer beverages onboard...

###

Why not just sail with a line that does allow wine on board like Carnival or Princess. Alcohol will never fly but at least the two I mentioned allow for a nice glass of wine on my balcony.

Just buy a bottle of alcohol from room service. That's cheaper than buying your drinks individually.

From our experience I think the cruise lines do vary their policy depending on the type of cruise, the general age group and the destination.

On our B2B cruise on Carnival Spirit 3 years ago they confiscated all the alcohol on embarcation and at every port. Once we got to Vancouver and Alaska we found that they were much more lenient. It was obvious to us that the Hawaii leg had a younger crowd and had more of a party atmosphere.

Last October we were in Europe on Carnival Freedom and they allowed us to bring wine and beer on at embarkation and at every port. Older crowd and definitely not a party cruise.

Same story in Feb on Sapphire Princess older crowd, no problems bringing on any amount of wine and beer.:D

Nah, think about it from a business point of view -- Royal does! Assuming the person is of age to possess the alcohol, it's not a legal matter; even though you have rules about alcohol, you're on shakey ground putting someone who's broken no laws off the ship.

If you put the person off the ship, you sail with a cabin empty, your wait staff/room steward receive no tips from that room, you sell that person no drinks, bingo cards, tee-shirts, specialty dinners, excursions . . . the list could go on. You don't lose money by putting that person off the ship, but you do lose the good will of that person (and his friends and even like-minded people on the net); he will book his next cruise with someone else. And what do you gain by putting that person off the ship? Nothing.

Unless you were to make a scene that might bring security into the picture, you're not going to be put off the ship for bringing alcohol. At worst, they'll pack it up and return it to you at the end of the cruise.

I've never in my life had alcohol ruin my clothes and I've, um, tested it many times. But from some of the packing lists that get posted here, there's way more stuff in someone else's luggage that could seep into yours.
I have. Once I tossed a bottle of tequila into my overnight bag, counting on the clothing to cushion it. It was a brand-new bottle, still factory sealed. It was in my own trunk, not crowded or smashed into other bags at all. During the trip we started smelling something . . . it was a hatchback car, so the trunk wasn't really separate . . . and it became stronger and stronger and stronger. Finally we pulled over to look, and the bottle had broken -- no clue why, but I figure it must've been defective in some way. We drove very slowly with the windows down for the rest of the way, fearing that if we were pulled over in a car simply reeking of tequilla, well, we'd be under the jailhouse.

Now I put everything glass or plastic into a ziplock, though this unusual event has never repeated itself.

Nah, think about it from a business point of view -- Royal does! Assuming the person is of age to possess the alcohol, it's not a legal matter; even though you have rules about alcohol, you're on shakey ground putting someone who's broken no laws off the ship.

Considering the cruise contract, I don't think there would be any legal problems in denying boarding ... that whole, their ship, their rules thing.

..Once I tossed a bottle of tequila into my overnight bag, counting on the clothing to cushion it. It was a brand-new bottle, still factory sealed. It was in my own trunk, not crowded or smashed into other bags at all. During the trip we started smelling something . . . it was a hatchback car, so the trunk wasn't really separate . . . and it became stronger and stronger and stronger. Finally we pulled over to look, and the bottle had broken -- no clue why, but I figure it must've been defective in some way. We drove very slowly with the windows down for the rest of the way, fearing that if we were pulled over in a car simply reeking of tequilla, well, we'd be under the jailhouse.

Aside from stink and mess, were your clothes "ruined?" Perhaps I am way too literal but ruined I take to mean unrecoverable, damaged beyond any useful life. Glass will shake out, clothes can be laundered (I'm putting aside the inconvenience and cost factor).

Did you have to replace all your clothing?

Not trying to be snarky.

Think silk;

think satin;

think lace..... The list goes on. No way you are going to salvage a silk dress drowned in tequilla. :( And you know it is an empty argument and not the point.

The very worst that can happen is that your booze will either be confiscated (if in an original bottle) or dumped (if in something else). Cruise lines are not going to alientate a substantial percentage of their customers by taking any more stringent action.

you're on shakey ground putting someone who's broken no laws off the ship

how's that...its pretty clear in the contract that it is against the rules...you have purchased a service, if you dont abide by the obligations of the service the servicor (word?) can elect not to extend the service to you

that's why pretty much every post I've ever seen on these boards regarding bringing booze on in checked luggage includes putting them in ziplock bags - some even say bubblewrap too. Remember - they don't want their clothes ruined either. Now you can say it's still not right to risk YOUR clothes for what you perceive to be a bad thing - however, as another pointed out - 'legit' items could do the same to your clothes as booze.

Think silk;

think satin;

think lace..... The list goes on. No way you are going to salvage a silk dress drowned in tequilla. :( And you know it is an empty argument and not the point.

Think silk;

think satin;

Ah, yes, I forgot about the finer fabrics. Silk dress... yeah, that'd be a goner.

Empty Argument? I'm asking cuz I'm curious and people were talking about ruined clothes. I've been past drinking age for a long time and have had tequila spilled on me many times and never had damaged clothing. Sorry to offend you.

Think silk;

think satin;

I agree. I hate it when my silk and lace undies get ruined. :eek:

Ooops. was that too much information? :D

I have 4 bottles of my favorite poisons delivered by a bon voyage gift basket service that delivers to the ship. I have rum, tequila, vodka, and cognac (along with chocolates for DW) in a basket waiting for me when I get to my cabin.:D The alcohol is purchased at ABC store prices, and I include a nice tip to the service for the delivery. I get my alcohol much cheaper than the ship would charge, and keep within the rules as well.;)

Archived