What is Great Stirrup Cay Like?

Silvery Seas Cruiser

The boat docks and opens its doors, you walk off and straight out the roped area..... to the left is a crowded beach area and rental spot. To the right is the picnic areas and more beach, walk past all that and you will see the little bridge area go across and there is more beach and another rental booth. This end is less crowded with chairs, yes.

Snorkeling is really good around the big rock in the water and all out in front of the Bridge area I believe.

1541999651_NCLSunCruise317.jpg.151534e28fb9b2bb667cd0c86d742326.jpg

679291279_NCLSunCruise293.jpg.e774e988e7e18a1457689ba344be0b5b.jpg

39127441_NCLSunCruise266.jpg.d5a5abac043f7336d06cfac58a518149.jpg

There is a straw market up behind the eating areas. I don't remember it being real cheap. They had all kinds of stuff tho........

As for hammocks I saw a few hooked between some trees, straight ahead when you get of the boat.

• 2 months later...
Anything new added to this island recently? th epast post sound like there is not much to do:confused: , thanks

We had a great time at GSC. We don't like crowds either so once we got off the tender we headed to the left and took a nice hike. There is a trail you can take to the other side of the island. Along the way you will pass WWII buildings, a heli pad and a lighthouse. You can dart of the trail in various places and walk over some very sharp rocks, but it's well worth it. there are some beautiful views. At the other end of the island there is a small dock and we were the only ones there. After we walked back we rented a large float and floated for a few hours. We ate food from the bbq had a few drinks and headed back. We really enjoyed our time there. We will be there again in December and plan on doing the same thing but this time were also going to walk over to the right side and see what's over there. It's sounds as nice and quite as the area we found last time. I have never been to the other cruise lines private islands so I have nothing to compare to. They do sound nicer, but I still had a great time and I'm looking forward to heading back there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First, remember that "quiet" side should be "quietER" side....there's still quite a few people in relation to the size of the beach itself. The restrooms are not far no matter which part of the beach you choose to sit yourself at. It's only a 5 minute (at most) walk from the "quiet" rental shack to the tender boat and everything else that everyone is talking about (straw market, massage hut, barbecue, bar) is in the middle of those two points.

So are there any places on the island more secluded?? On CoCo Cay you could easily find places all to yourself on the beach. You just have to walk a bit.

How about the other side of the island, past the WW2 stuff? Is there any remote beach are back there you can get to and find a spot? I can get by without a lounge chair ;)

Jan

So are there any places on the island more secluded?? On CoCo Cay you could easily find places all to yourself on the beach. You just have to walk a bit.

How about the other side of the island, past the WW2 stuff? Is there any remote beach are back there you can get to and find a spot? I can get by without a lounge chair ;)

There is (from my memory) a water area past the 'airport' and lighthouse..I thin kif i remember correctly a dock, you could lay on. There is alot of exploring to do on the island besides just sitting on the beach..good luck :)

How about the other side of the island' date=' past the WW2 stuff? Is there any remote beach are back there you can get to and find a spot? I can get by without a lounge chair ;)

There is (from my memory) a water area past the 'airport' and lighthouse..I thin kif i remember correctly a dock, you could lay on. There is alot of exploring to do on the island besides just sitting on the beach..good luck :)[/quote']

Thanks, I will definitely be exploring :) After that, a bit of lunch and a nice siesta....maybe on the dock if I can find it....sound good to me.

jan

We had a nice day for GSC. But the beach was crowded and by afternoon the current was strong when we tried snorkeling.

We too walked down past the WWII buildings and laughed at the "international airport" sign. There were plenty of little "lizards" scampering around. Any of the "beaches" we saw at this far left side of the island were just water at the bottom of rocky cliffs. Did not see any private beach nooks.

We've been to Half Moon Cay and there's no comparison in ammenities. But GSC is a beach, BBQ, and a place to just relax a bit. It is not exotic and there are limited activities, but it's still fun and "hiking" along the paths can be fun if you want to get away from the crowds.

Take and use your sunscreen!

:) ninkb

Archived