Disembarking in Piraeus, Athens

CA traveler

Penzance, we are spending 2 nts. post cruise in Istanbul, July 31. Looking for hotel and Hotel Nena comes highly recommended on here and Trip Advisor. Do you book through the hotel directly in order to get transfers? We are pre cruise 1 nt. in Athens and debating on taxi from airport to hotel or metro. Anyone have suggestions or preferences?

Wendy: If I remember correctly, back in '04, 45 Euros was around $48. Now, 50 Euros is around $80 :-(

Yeh, well that was kind of my point, although I couldn't find a way of making it. For them, the euro is still just a euro, and they operate in it, and so the fare has not gone up more than inflation.

And in 2004 our dollar was trading at about $.78 US, so that cab ride in euros cost us $72 CDN. Now it costs us the same as you, $80 CDN. So not much of a change for we Canucks. So welcome to currency woes, we've suffered from this for years.

In our group we all booked with the Nena through their online reservation system. When I originally emailed them, they included the transfer information and discount on their restuarant in their email response to me. I needed to use the code they provided to enter my reservation in their system. They ask for arrival information in their online form.

Susan

lilybug: I echo CA Traveler but we're booked for two nights Pre-Cruise in Hotel Nena. You may want to ask them by email if they provide free Post-Cruise transporation to the airport. They seem really nice and very helpful.

I would think it would depend on what time you arrive in Athens and, the whereabouts of your hotel. If you are young, energetic and have little light luggage, you could do the Metro, but to be sure/safe, I'd prebook a taxi to meet you on arrival.

CA Traveler - We are going to try their rooftop restaurant (discounted for guests) when we arrive on our first night -- just before we collapse into bed :-)

Wendy. Our woes include the fact that now we are of a "mature age" and can afford to travel a little - the money rules have changed :-(

Penzance, I feel your pain. We too are approaching retirement, but have managed to take some great trips over the last 8 years, mostly cruises. I'm very grateful for that, and we've done it while we were "young and spry".

Unfortunately I'm about to lose my (pleasantly high-paying) job for good, and so am facing early retirement. I'm hoping that our budget will allow for a trip a year, but perhaps only a luxury cruise once every two years--we'll see.

Enjoy your trip--you're going to start in Istanbul, right? We hope to do this or a similar itinerary on Oceania some day. Istanbul is amazing, good choice staying near the Sultanahmet, good access to many of the sights.

When we first booked our cruise the Delta flight out of Athens was 1:30 pmSince we had been in Athens a fe time we decided to leave directly from Athens the day we docked July 19th.

When Delta changed the flite time to 10:30 Am I had my TA contact O to be sure we can make the flite.They said they knew of the change and there was no problem getting to Athens airport in plenty of time.Since we dock at 4;00 am.

Archived