? about Horseback riding excursion

mom23gr8kids

We are sailing on Carnival Conquest in June. We are doing the 7 day Western Carribbean with stops in Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, and Cozumel. The one excursion I think that I would love to do for just DH and I is the horseback riding.

Can someone give advice on which stop would be the best to schedule it at? Best to go through Carnival or private/who? and if possible the approximate length and cost of this excursion.

Thanks so much.

Rhonda

You may want to go the Ports of Call boards for those various islands and see if there are threads there about horseback riding. If not, ask your question on the various boards.

DD & I have done the Horseback Ride & Swim through Carnival (because you cannot book it independently) in Grand Turk the past three cruises.

Absolutely love it!

2927079110102755439S200x200Q85.jpg

I know that doesn't help you much, though.

Are riding excursions offered through Carnival for your particular cruise? If not, just try a Google search for "horseback riding" & the various ports.

Our tour operators in Grand Turk were Chukka Caribbean Adventures.

http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/horseback.php

They do the excursions in Jamaica and HMC as well. Hopefully, it will be offered in December so I can compare it to the one in Grand Turk.

You can't book them independently.

The horse my DD is riding in the above pic is a retired Jamaican race horse (the guides were all Jamaican). He was great fun. I had him for the water portion the year before. When there was a group of horses ahead of him, he just took off and plowed through the group until he was at the front of the line. So much fun!

Anyway, they are reputable and the horses appeared to be in pretty good shape. So, you may want to consider doing this excursion in MoBay.

we are also sailing on conquest but on the 29th. We are taking the horseback ride and swim. Is there anything special that we need to know about? Hubby thinks that he will fall off ;) How deep is the water when the horses go out? So that I can tell him the depth.

2caz06c3pkuvyqvz.png

You can see in my pic about that they're in water that can be up to the tops of their backs. If they're running/swimming, the force of the water causes your legs to sort of "float" back, since there are no stirrups.

He won't fall off. I imagine there have been people that have, but I've haven't seen it happen. It IS uncomfortable until you get in the water. That pad isn't very thick!

I do hold the handle of the water pad tightly and usually also grab a handful of mane as well.

The trail ride portion (in GT, at least) is kind of dull, but the water portion is brilliant. Too bad it is only a small portion of the ride time.

Archived