Mattress Comfort on Princess Ships

cyberfilly

I've read several posts about the firmness and discomfort of the mattresses Princesss uses on their ships. (One example: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=760311)

Is this true across all ships? We're considering a balcony or mini-suite stateroom on Princess, but if the mattresses are as hard as I've read about, we'll probably book another cruise line. I doubt going the egg crate route will help, plus if we're paying several thousand dollars for a vacation......

I've read several posts about the firmness and discomfort of the mattresses Princesss uses on their ships. (One example: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=760311)

Is this true across all ships? We're considering a balcony or mini-suite stateroom on Princess, but if the mattresses are as hard as I've read about, we'll probably book another cruise line. I doubt going the egg crate route will help, plus if we're paying several thousand dollars for a vacation......

On all the ships in the fleet we have sailed on, on a scale of 1-10, I give Princess mattresses a 3 (and that is being generous).

Beds I would give a good rating to are ones such as Hilton's comfort beds, I would rate them a 10, and ours at home I would rate an 8.

We found the beds perfectly comfortable. it's a pretty subjective issue so not sure if I would take anyone's word for it. It was much more comfortable than the Sheraton we stayed in the night before......

Not sure any of this helps you though.

We were on the CB last november our cabin had the new mattress. We found it quite comfortable. On our last cruise on the Grand a few years ago, the mattress was horrible, and the egg-crate barely made it tolerable. So, I guess I would cast my vote in favor of the new mattresses!

Mattress's on princess ships can be very subjective. One person may love the darn thing and the next person on the same ship will not like them. I have learned to just request an egg crate mattress as soon as I get to the cabin. You can request or fax ahead of time but most of the time the ships never receives the request so I have just learned to ask the room steward to bring me one on the first day. if you wait until the next day(been there done that) you might not get one. By the way I have been on Celebrity and their mattress were no better than Princess, but you will get differing opinions on that too.:D

Marilyn

Mattress comfort like food quality is subjective. We have had no problems sleeping on any of our cruises... Question.. Since we prefer firm beds would the eggcrate topper make the mattress better of worse for us?

Mattress comfort like food quality is subjective. We have had no problems sleeping on any of our cruises... Question.. Since we prefer firm beds would the eggcrate topper make the mattress better of worse for us?

With the egg crate topper, the bed is still very firm, but it gives it more of a pillow top effect. You can always try it and it you don't like it, have the mattress pad removed. ;)

I would think worse. We don't bother with them as there are a limited number and if we get one that is one less for someone who thinks they need one. I think a lot of people immediately get one thinking they'll need them without trying the bed.

My husband and I also prefer a firm mattress. We have had no trouble sleeping on Princess Beds on two 15 day cruises.

Last cruise (7 day Mexican Riviera) there was an egg crate on the bed when we arrived. We left it on to give it a try, figuring if it didn't work out the first night we could have it removed. It worked out great! You had the firm mattress but with the soft top, which I appreciated since sometimes my hips get sore in a strange bed (I sleep on my side).

Give it a try. You can always have it removed.

Nancy

I've only sailed on one Princess and one HAL ship. The mattress on my mini suite bed was awful on Princess. The mini suite bed on the HAL Oosterdam was heaven, honestly. One of the most wonderful beds I'd ever slept on and the sheets and towels are also higher quality on HAL. With that being said, you can see I'm booked on another Princess cruise this November, so I guess I'll just have to suffer again. But being on a cruise to anywhere is not really suffering, is it? So I'll put up with it again. Does this really help you? I hope so.

As others have said, bed comfort is very subjective. Read these boards for a while and you'll be amazed at some of the reasons people give when they say "I'll never book on Princess again because....". So, don't necessarily take everything you read at face value.

Having said that, I've tried the beds both with and without the eggcrate, and I have to admit that I prefer them with the eggcrate - it really makes a difference. Honestly, however, I have never lost a night's sleep on a Princess cruise because of the bed, either with or without the eggcrate.

As others have said, bed comfort is very subjective. Read these boards for a while and you'll be amazed at some of the reasons people give when they say "I'll never book on Princess again because....". So, don't necessarily take everything you read at face value.

Having said that, I've tried the beds both with and without the eggcrate, and I have to admit that I prefer them with the eggcrate - it really makes a difference. Honestly, however, I have never lost a night's sleep on a Princess cruise because of the bed, either with or without the eggcrate.

Agree 100% with everything in this post!

--Junglejane

My husband and I have been on 8 Princess cruises with the 9th coming this Saturday. We have never made a comment on the mattresses we have slept on. We never had to. They have always been comfortable. We have never needed the egg crate topper. Of course this only our opinion, but I would not change my cruise plans .

Only have had a problem once (21 Princess cruises) with a mattress on a Princess ship and that was because it was soft and lumpy.

We are used to a firm mattress and not one with a pillow top so we also leave the egg crates for those that must have them to enjoy the great night's sleeps that we have on a cruise.

Agree 100% with everything in this post!

--Junglejane

I also agree with all the posts.

On another note, we were told on the newer ships, Emerald, Crown, Ruby) that the tv's were now HD flat screens. Is this true?:confused:

I also agree with all the posts.

On another note, we were told on the newer ships, Emerald, Crown, Ruby) that the tv's were now HD flat screens. Is this true?:confused:

Yes - sort of! We had a mini-suite on the Crown, which had two flat-sceen TV's. I peeked into a standard balcony room on disembarkation morning and noticed it had the regular black CRT-TV's. Not sure about the Emerald.

Just my guess, but I would imagine (hope!) that the Ruby would have all flat-panel TV's.

My husband prefers a firm mattress while I prefer a little more cushion or my back gets sore. The mattresses on Princess do tend to be on the firm side so my DH sleeps like a baby, but I'm not as comfortable. Based on advice here on our cruise last week on the Golden I requested the egg crate topper and it worked like a charm. I was totally comfortable and no sore back. It provided just the right amount of cushion, without being too soft. I think it would be a mistake to discount Princess because some find the mattress to firm. It really is subjective and if it is too firm for your taste, the egg crate should alleviate that.

We'll be travelling on the Coral from Vancouver on May 12 and I have a bad back and have trouble sleeping on hard mattresses so will try to get an egg crate for our bed.

I can't see anywhere in the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website to order it and have asked my Travel Agent to ask the Princess office here in Australia about requesting one. I told her I've read of lots of people here using them but she called me when she was talking to Princess and they didn't seem to know about them.

How do you normally order an egg crate? I see someone mentioned sending a fax. Is there a request form to fill out?

I suggested she ask them to check with the Princess U.S. office but if someone here can help me I'll let her know.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Archived